Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 20, 2019, 01:55:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fokker E-V/DVIII from Aero-werkes build thread.  (Read 2521 times)
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »

Hi Dan,

My printer sometimes does the line thing as well.  For me it typically means I getting close to out of ink, and/or I'm on a lower print setting.  My Epson defaults to 'Text and Image' setting which is fine for tissue.  The next lower setting is 'Text' and the print quality isn't nearly as good, often with lines similar to your pics.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2019, 02:40:30 PM »

Ours is a Brother scan, copy, fax and was right around $100. It has always given the lines on solid colors no matter setting or brand of ink cartridge.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2019, 09:55:07 PM »

I couldn't resist stacking all the bits together.  Things are kinda on hold until I can track down some olive green tissue.  I found one source but $13 S/H for a $3 order is a might steep.

I must be losing my mind, I could have sworn there was some discussion in this thread about setting up the landing gear sub-wing, but I can't find it. I either imagined it or I read it somewhere else.
So I'll ask again about tips on setting up the subwing. All ears! Smiley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Fokker E-V/DVIII from Aero-werkes build thread.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:18:03 PM by Dan Snow » Logged

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »

More pictures tossed out into the wilderness of the interweb!!!

Finished the wheels by gluing on the covers. Then added a through axle to the sub-wing. Finished covering the rudder adding the hinge line and cross.  The ne replacement machine guns have been assembled, waiting for paint.  Lots and lots of little things.

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »

Dan, you should have some awareness about the angle of attack down there. It is after all another wing!

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »

Dan - my guess(and it is a guess!) re the axle wing would be to keep it parallel to the main wing. This may help to keep it's drag low when the model is trimmed with the main wing at a reasonable angle of attack.

John

skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »

The subwing on the test model was flat - 0 incidence, same as the stabilizer when viewed from the side.
Its possible a slight amount of incidence can be applied as John has suggested.

Also lines in your printing indicate one of two things,: 1) low ink supply or 2) your print head needs cleaning.
Printers have a trouble shoot program to help detect such issues. If you do a print head check, it will print
out a block for each color and ask you if there are any lines missing. Run the cleaning process until all lines
are present and you should be good to go.

Skyraider
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »

Thanks for the incidence info Skyraider, I have a jig cut out to align the subwing to the fuselage CL.
As for the printer, we've had the thing for about 5 years, and from day one it has struggled with large areas of printing. I have tried different brands of cartridges, and run the head cleaning program countless times to no avail. It makes them fainter but never eliminates them.  It's the price we pay for a cheap printer. When we bought it I was using it to make scroll saw patterns and documents so it was not an issue.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2019, 08:32:29 AM »

Not much happening on the DVIII as I wait for my order from Peck Polymers. Once that is in I can cover the subwing, wing and struts and begin the assembly.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »

Got the Esaki tissue I ordered. I like the color, close enough for my usage.

Pic #1 A mockup of the bits after covering the subwing and wing. This was taken after I had to re-shrink the covering on the wing twice to take out a rather massive warp in the left wing panel. Not sure where it came from as I had pinned the wing down to dry. (Pins might have pulled loose. I haven't had a chance to put in any washout yet.

Pic #2 Side view of the mockup.

Pic #3 The second set of machine guns ready. (Thanks to Dave Cowell!)

Pic #4 Head on shot. After three attempts to paint the starburst on the cowl I gave up and will likely just leave it plain.

Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »

Dan sometimes there's a user mis-understanding when it comes to printwork. There's RGB (red, green blue) we see in RGB so the printer would be set up to print that way so it matches what we see on the screen, it makes us happier, but it's usually a smaller size file and that's when the lines show up. Then there's CMYK (cyan,magenta,yellow and black) this is how printers should print so the whole gamut of color is implemented. The files are larger dpi wise and visually tighter, and the colors more saturated. You should try to fool with your printers settings to see if there is and RGB/CMYK option, and sometimes just choosing all the best quality settings automatically saturates the colors for you. I think lozenge colors usually look garish and ugly on models, but yours is more toned back and therefore looks more real to me. Opinions..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes. I supervised a graphics production department for years, and I have literally gone stark raving mad dealing with issues like lines in the print, only I was dealing with 6 to10 foot rolls of print media, lots of expense, tight deadlines, and under-informed salesmen and designers. I say get that D8 flying before your over decorate!

On another note I read in a past issue of WW1 Aero, that the axle wing on Fokkers was there to counter the weight of the undercarriage. John is right to advise at least keeping it parallel to the main wing. I have set mine slightly positive to see if it made any difference, not much, but I did have it come loose once and it totally sent the plane sideways, upside down and into the mud.

The Threadkiller!
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »

A little more progress on the DVIII

Pic#1 - After some measuring and cutting, I had a jig to set the angle of the subwing. It will be parallel to the main wing.

Pic #2 - Gluing the fin and elevator together.

In case anyone is wondering about Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl, they are on strike. They demanded more money, I refused, and so there we are!

Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »

Hi Dan,

Further to your 8 July post regarding the cowl star burst, I printed tissue and glued it to my cowl.  Took a couple of attempts, but it worked.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2019, 07:24:11 PM »

Intriguing idea Don.  Need to work out the angle as my first attempt had half the number of rays yours did! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2019, 11:29:01 PM »

In case anyone is wondering about Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl, they are on strike. They demanded more money, I refused, and so there we are!

I kind of got the feeling you were doing all the work anyway. Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 01:09:19 AM »

Hi Dan,

Attached is a sketch of the star burst showing the dimensions I used for my Fokker.  Apologize for the black 'noise lines' around the perimeter; my printer is slowly giving up the ghost.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2019, 08:23:07 AM »

Don that looks like head strike to me. Also you might pull the black cartridge and examine to see if its gotten gooey on you.

The Threadkiller!
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »

Don, thanks for the tip.  I copied your sketch, fiddled with the scale then printed it out.   Went over it with a black sharpie and then printed it on tissue. That'll work!!

I realized my first pilot resembled an escapee from Lilliput, so here is one that I think looks more like the right size.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 07:12:33 PM »

That's looking good Dan. Not much left now.

John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2019, 09:12:42 PM »

Looks great Dan.  And agree with John, almost finished.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »

Thanks John, Jim.

Well the wing is on! Mostly.  Huh Why mostly? I still have to add the center forward strut on each side.

Is it where it's supposed to be? Mostly. Well as far as I can tell, mostly.  Huh

The best description I can come up with for the process is that it's like trying to put a diaper on a pissed off octopus whilst blindfolded and with one arm tied behind you back!!

The process entailed 3, that's right, three, different versions of the wing cradle. Versions meaning made from different materials with different hooks, nooks. and crannies to attach said cradle to fuselage, then said wing to said cradle.  

Each version of the cradle had at least three different experiments in how to hold it in place.

Once I finally reached that milestone I started measuring to square up the wing. this is where I got to practice being patient and not throwing things around the shop. Why? Because it seemed like everytime I tried to measure, the dimension would change because I touched the %^*^% wing!  I was measuring from the tail post out to each wing tip, and even breathing in the direction of the wing seemed to move it.  Perseverance did pay off in the end. After adding 2 more rubber bands to the cradle and another two to the wing I had it strapped down enough to stay put.  I then pinned a 1/8 x 1/4" balsa stick from the tail post to each wing tip to hold it. From there I could finally get the struts in place and glue them down. It's like the feeling you get when you know the workday will never end and then suddenly you hear the end of shift whistle blow!! Smiley Smiley

Well maybe not that bad, but close!! b Tongue

Don't get me wrong, I really am enjoying this build.  Great kit, great quality wood and Dave Cowell really goes above and beyond in customer support.  The issues I had were solely the result of my skill level, or lack there of.

Here's an interesting foot note. With everything except the aforementioned struts and motor installed, it is balancing just a touch nose heavy!!  Surprised the dickens out of me!!

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2019, 01:10:47 PM »

I just realized the camera angle really makes the wing look cattywampus. It really is on straight,             mostly! Smiley

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2019, 07:25:18 PM »

It's worth it in the end Dan and the next build will be easier.

John
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »

Thanks John.
It may be awhile before I attempt this sort of model again! And I'll be honest, I;m very leery of flying this model.  At least outside because all of my flying sites are lumpy and weedy and just perfect for snatching danglies off the bottom of models!!

Here are some pictures of the finished model. 
All up weight: 48g. 
Power: 4 strands 1/8"   
Prop: 7" Gizmo Geezer
Kit Mfgr: Aero-Werks (Dave Cowell)

skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »

Well done, Dan! Don't let this one scare ya. The main thing is it's now completed and that
you enjoyed yourself. I know there were a number of items that require thinking outside the
box. But you prevailed and maybe learned a thing or two in the process. Again, well done!

Skyraider
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: