Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 19, 2019, 12:54:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GPS App for tracking/locating models  (Read 182 times)
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »

Throwing this out to Hippocketland.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced GPS, either a hand held or a Cell Phone APP for tracking and locating models.

Ideally, it would work on an iPhone or similar, have a road map (preferably) or topographical database.

In addition to pinpointing my position on Planet Earth, it should have the capability to project a straight line from a designated launch point.  The direction determined by a magnetic compass sighting as the model disappears off the field, or into thick growth (Muncie corn)

There should be a deviation indicator which would keep me on track as I navigated through the street, road, or cornfield.

I had a cheep ex-eBay Garmin eTrex that would allow a line to be projected but no road map or topographic information.

It was not really easy to use either, requiring several keystrokes to get to the correct menu while the model continued to disappear.

Looking for a phone app; not a freebie, but I don't wish to go through 4 or 5 to find what I want.  It's too easy to misplace a handheld GPS, but I keep my phone next to my blast tube (that's for you Monz Grin)

Second choice would be one that works on an iPad 4.

Thanks in advance.
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 05:35:31 PM »

There is this one for Android.  I use it and while not perfect, it does a pretty good job.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bearingnavigation.android&hl=en_US

I think there might be some others - I will do a search.

--george

flydean1
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 09:02:53 PM »

Thanks George,

Unfortunately I have an iPhone and iPad.

I'll go to the Ap store, which I loathe, and see if they have a compatible version.
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »

I don't think there is an apple version.

I am 100% sure I have seen another app online, but I have no idea where it is or how to find it - other than to say that it, also, is from eastern Europe or Israel.

--george

Howie911
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:32:49 PM »

Not sure if this might be of any help but, suppliers for falconry equipment might have tracking equipment.  Maybe even something adaptable to your requirements. 
flydean1
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »

I have a Walston receiver and 4 transmitters.  Just looking for a better way to stay on track in case of a loooong flyaway!

Some years ago my grandson's P30 left the bounds of the huge Palm Bay site, and we got no signal.  DT failed to deploy.  Fortunately, I did get a compass bearing and drew a pencil line on a county map.  After several stops along roads which the line intersected, we got a faint signal.  Two more stops and we were able to walk to the model.

It had crossed a couple creeks, a small lake, two subdivisions, and an active shooting range.  4-1/2 miles.

While the process worked, it would be easier and faster to have a GPS nav app I could carry on my street legal chase bike and get to the model much faster.  Also would help if searching in heavy cover like the corn on the field at Muncie, or the patches of dense woods nearby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: