Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2020, 06:29:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vari Eze landing gear problem  (Read 311 times)
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »

I have the plan from the Model Aviation magazine that ran several years ago. One feature that is not explained is the main landing gear. The plan shows the shape but the construction article does not say how to get the wire bent in the right shape. I tried several years ago but was just not pleased with  the outcome. If the plan is available maybe someone here can figure out how to get the right shape without too much trouble. Thank  you for your time. Shaping the right size wire around a can just didn't get the job done.
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »

That's an interesting question and I don't know the answer but I bet you could hold both ends of the wire tightly (maybe with two pairs of vice grips) and draw the wire back and forth across the horn of an anvil.  Don't try to bend it all at once, then check the curve against the pattern as you go.  Maybe?
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:45:18 PM »

If you take Strato's suggestion, don't hesitate to "waste" some wire to whatever you're holding it with.

Can you snap a picture of the plan's version of the LG, or post the issue with the build article?
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:16:56 PM »

I think if it was me, I might just take some carbon tow and make a composite gear. Probably a lot easier than it sounds, at least if you have the right epoxy (or maybe even polyester resin) on hand.

A harder way would be to run the wire through three rollers, adjusting the position of the middle roller as you went along. Or strat-o's way, which MIGHT be the quickest and easiest if you have a knack for it. (I'm sure I don't.)

What diameter is the wire?
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »

The plan and article appeared in the August 2002 issue of Model Aviation. I hope to do this peanut again. Only Better than the first try.

Thanks for any suggestions.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 12:10:58 PM »

The wire is 1/32 Dia
I think if it was me, I might just take some carbon tow and make a composite gear. Probably a lot easier than it sounds, at least if you have the right epoxy (or maybe even polyester resin) on hand.

A harder way would be to run the wire through three rollers, adjusting the position of the middle roller as you went along. Or strat-o's way, which MIGHT be the quickest and easiest if you have a knack for it. (I'm sure I don't.)

What diameter is the wire?
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »

Here's the plans from MA.

Based on the front view on the plans, the gear doesn't look difficult, particularly if you ignore the slight bow -- are you having trouble with the slight bow, or just with bending the straight gear, or what?

I think I'd do that bow with a series of very slight bends (lots of them -- like half a dozen per side), or since it's 1/32" wire I'd pull it through a pair of circular-nose pliers angled to pull a bend in it.  By God that's a horrible description -- you'd be doing the same thing you do when you curl ribbon for a present, only with wire.  I can envision exactly what I'm thinking of, but I can't say it.  Or I'd find just the right size pipe or rod to wrap the wire around to get that much bow.  Or I'd just bend it between my fingers until I got it right.
VictorY
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 06:39:50 PM »

I'd ditch the music wire and make it from aluminum plate. It won't have the strength of music wire but it should be enough for a peanut scale and will look really cool.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 12:49:37 AM »

Seems like the plan and article really glossed over the canard. I suspect the canard will be critically important to getting any kind of flight time. Maybe use Gurney tabs full span or make the elevators separate and bent down a little.

I still think the carbon tow may be the easy way. Easier than bending little balsa fairings, I think, though I suppose foam could do the job. The carbon would have to be quite thin, so it might look a bit funny.

The wheels on that plan appear to be larger than scale. If ROG is not a necessity, smaller wheels and retracting the nose gear should help with flight.

I've seen and heard what I think was a VariEze fly low overhead. (might have been a Long-Ez, I guess). Like other pushers, it sounds strange.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 09:27:52 AM »

1/32" wire seems like overkill on a peanut. Might be easier forming if you use .025 or smaller.  I like Lincoln's idea of not installing the nose wheel. A laminated balsa or basswood "arch" type gear, similar to a wing tip bow would look pretty convincing.  Short axle segments could be built in, using small dowel, or wire. 

A Velocity would look cool with all 3 wheels retracted!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 12:02:54 PM »

Thanks Indoor flyer for that idea. Good idea. Will try
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: