Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 10:29:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: applying decals to tissue covering  (Read 261 times)
whiskers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2019, 05:05:18 AM »

I'm in the process of building my first scale model - well, my first real attempt at it anyway.

It's a West Wings kit of the Hawker Hart. The fuselage is completed and I am very pleased with the job so far. I did not use the silver tissue supplied but covered it in plain white and gave it a coat of acrylic silver spray. Looks great but I am worried about applying the decals and ruining the job!

Any tips for this will be a great help and would be much appreciated.
dohrmc
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 08:51:08 AM »

Many choices. I’m certainly no expert, but I have had pretty fair luck with scanning the decals onto bond paper, spraying the back of the paper wet with Krylon, let it dry overnight. Sand the back of the images carefully with fine sandpaper. You will be surprised at how well bond paper sands. Keep holding it up to the light to make sure you don’t cut through. Cut out the images, apply glue stick and stick the thinned paper down.  Light spray of Krylon to seal the edges, and it should look quite fine.
Post some pictures of your model, please.
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:32:41 AM »

I don't know if you are using decals from the kit or printing your own.  Microsol/microset seems to help my home printed decals slide nicely into place and pull down tight onto painted surfaces.  I have found some kit decals to be poor. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: