Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2019, 11:34:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VIT Hardware for Dummies  (Read 326 times)
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »

First, I realize DANBERRY will have me drummed out of the Luddite Free Flight Team.

However, I'm just considering going over to the Dark Side.  It could be worse, it could be (never capitalize) radio control!!

I am well aware of the advantages of VIT and Auto Rudder.  I just need to get some guidance on the hardware at the back end to bring it all off.  Any magazine or Sympo articles out there in Hippocketland?

This would be for a USA/AMA Gas model.

Some time ago, I think whoever made the Crocket Hooks also made up a set of fittings for VIT.  Any of that out there for sale?

Thanks in advance.
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 07:13:20 AM »

Dean,

Do you want to bunt the model at the end of the motor run? That's a bit more complicated than simply pulling the stab down a few degrees for the climb, then releasing it for glide.

Take a look at the small photo of F1Q bunt mechanism in my Duration column in  the June 2019 issue of Model Aviation (page 95).  I just checked Sergei's website and he sells bunt mechanism for F1J for $30. This would not be an easy item to fabricate unless you have a metal lathe and milling machine. If you value your time it is a bargain.

Sergei Vorvihvost's website is www.f1jpq.com.

Louis
flydean1
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 06:27:41 PM »

I have both a lathe and mill, however I don't want to bunt.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 06:39:09 PM »

Here's how I VIT.  Very simple and have never had a failure.
Arm is held over the tail, then when Seelig timer lets go arm lets go and tail rises.
When DT lets go tail goes up to 45 degrees.

The AR is also shown.

Engine shut off, and AR at same time, then 2 seconds later tail up a little for glide.

Screws are there for fine trimming.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VIT Hardware for Dummies
flydean1
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »

How does the fitting get out of the way to allow the stab to rise to the DT position?
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »

I should make my comment easier for you.
Tail is held down with line to timer for power......You can see the wire T-Bar in the hole.
When that lets go at end of power run tail rises up to the arm for glide.
Arm lets go for D/T setting.

OKAY?
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »

You can see the slot behind the arm that has a spring internally to pull it back for D/T.

OKAY?
flydean1
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 07:17:54 AM »

Let's see if I can comprehend this.  Remember, I'm an aging Redneck Flight Instructor from Dothan, Alabama. Grin Grin

On launch, line to stab TE holds stab in climb setting.  VIT arm trips allowing stab to rise against the stop in glide position.  The DT line is connected internally to the arm.  When DT actuates, it releases the arm which moves to the rear, allowing the stab to rise, limited by the same line that held it down in climb position.  So the DT tripper is connected to the VIT arm, holding it forward in climb and glide and allowing it to spring back for DT.

Do I have it right?

And, by the way, thanks for the picture and explanations.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »

Now ya got me confused 'cause your totally confused.
Now LISTEN carefully......Okay?
Stab is held down with line to timer......Okay?
Arm is held forward with line to timer......Okay?
Model climbs under power with stab down, and at end of power run motor is shut down by timer......I use hard tank flood off.......Okay?
At same time as motor shutoff auto rudder is let go by timer to flick the model over at the top.......Okay?
2 seconds later stab is let go by timer and moves UP onto arm for glide position.......Okay?
At end of flight time arm is let go, moves back as it has a spring to pull it back, and stab rises to DT position........Okay?

You will see screws are used with razor blade facings in rudder and stab to stop wear and to make for ease  of trimming.

All clear as mud now?
flydean1
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 07:28:24 PM »

All clear.  Your description matches mine exactly.  I ignored the auto rudder as that was a separate function from the stab.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: