Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 28, 2021, 03:49:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Minimag - BUILD  (Read 2058 times)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 101

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2008, 03:23:38 PM »

Ok guys, I've got the plans drawn. I'm going with full geodetic construction. This will take the form of cracked rib construction to make for a lighter structure. Prop, as mentioned before is planned to be an 8" SBF, though this may be a little too big. I may enlarge the wing rails to make it easier to fit pennies under the wing.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Minimag - BUILD
Minimag - BUILD
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »

That is super Maxout, now we are cooking, I will have a picture up of my redesign in a day or so.

Sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »

I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Dan G.

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »

Looks good Maxout. the plan says your going to us a 8x8 prop. Any particular reason for that size and pitch?

Derek

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »

Thanks, guys.

Derek, 8x8 gives a P/D of 1 which is rather low, but should be about right for a motor of this size. Were I using this model for unlimited, it would probably swing a 10" prop with 12-13" pitch swung by 4 strands of 1/8 30" long. Yes, I am very cruel to my airplanes. They earn their keep.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »

Well, I know no better place to post this since the entry form is not available yet, so here goes...I still haven't gotten the Minimag started, but I have an old embryo that is not only eligible, but pretty light. It's the 3rd lightest embryo I've ever built at a mere 6 g w/o ballast and rubber. With the short loop of 1/8 allowed for the postal (well, it's short compared to 30" of 1/8), it requires no ballast, and so is flying in its lightest configuration. This model is a proven performer, yielding flights of nearly 2:30 under a 30' ceiling and better than 3:30 outdoors. I designed the original version shortly after building my first Maxout, and the current version was drawn up about 3 years ago.

On to the flying...I loaded on an 18" loop of 1/8 (mis-measured and decided to use it anyway) and cranked away to 1300 turns, good enough for a little over 2 minutes. Next flight was ROG, so put in 1450 turns. After a few failed attempts (got bogged down in the sand), I adjusted the landing gear and off it went, just barely making the max at 95 seconds (I wasted a lot of turns in those failed attempts in which it never left the ground). For the next flight, I wasn't about the mess around and so went up to the same power. Since no turns were wasted with antics, it easily hit 2:20. Now for the moment of truth...1 penny was taped on about 1/4" forward of the CG. I wound her up and walked upwind, not really knowing what to expect. The result was surprisingly good at 1:43; not bad considering that I wasn't even expecting a max. Now with two pennies, the airframe weight is up by about 80%, so how in the world could it possibly max? Would you believe it made 95 sec? I was shocked, but since the motor run was 80 sec, it makes sense. The model never made it about 30', so I knew there was no way it would max with 3 pennies. By now, the sun had been down for over a half hour, things were getting damp, it was getting dark, and in general not that great for a frail little airplane. Even so, I wanted to see what was possible, so I cranked the model up and let it loose. It never made it about 10', but the flight time was quite good at 65 sec. So the Featherlight II managed to survive for 6 flights.

Here's my flight score:
Featherlight II, 90,90,90,#1 90, #2 90,#3 65=515

I'll put up a photo later.

Good flying,
Joshua
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 10:03:47 PM »

I don't know what I expected, Maxout, but I was very impressed, reading your report ...

I don't think your scores will be easy to beat.

Dan G.

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 10:26:32 PM »

Great flight times, Joshua but an unassociated question - why did the model in its original form require ballast?  No minimum weight for Embryo ... just curious
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »

why did the model in its original form require ballast?

Nose weight. I designed it with the nose a bit too short and paid for it in having to add noseweight when using full motors.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 05:12:56 PM »

Here are the pictures as promised. If you look closely, you'll see that the wing spar is a fractured mess. That wing is old and has been damaged a lot in the past. All of the flying surfaces are long overdue for replacement.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Minimag - BUILD
Re: Minimag - BUILD
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 05:27:58 PM »

Might have stood up better if it had been doped? Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Grin
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 12:19:35 AM »

Always a heckler in the midst!

Realistically, I don't think dope would have helped. This model has not led a very gentle life. I've flown it in some pretty bad conditions, slammed it into the ceiling and walls of indoor sites, etc. Now that I think about it, that wing is at least 5 years old, maybe more, because I took it off my second Featherlight I when I traded wings between this model and said Featherlight I, which proceeded to go off the field when the wind was blowing faster than the DT could unwind. Proved I could ROG it from an 11x17 box in 20+ mph wind, though. Roll Eyes It wasn't worth the cost to prove that, though, as it was a great flier and I wish I still had it.
outofbalance
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 06:48:18 AM »

Joshua, nice times! Interesting prop.

OOB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: