Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 06:00:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oxford Dreaming Spires FF Rally  (Read 435 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »

A good day today - warm and sunny and long grass. All the 'nice' duration events and the usual great atmosphere. Unfortunately just me, Mike Smith and Derek turned up to fly scale. Mike's Saunders Roe jet flew particularly well but the Jungmann won. Thanks to Charlie, Laurence and Andy and hopefully it will run again next year.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Oxford Dreaming Spires FF Rally
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »

Glad to hear the day went well. Mike’s Saunders Roe was looking very good during trimming at the Nats. Sorry I couldn’t make it ... its the only week off I have over the summer so we went away
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »

A shame about the low count in scale ... I must admit that I was put off travelling by the less than ideal forecast. I hope that it will run again ... it has been a great event on many other occasions.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »

I do love this event but last time there was a similarly iffy wind forecast I did the 3 hr drive to find it cancelled so I wimped out this time. Apologies to Charlie and co though - I should probably have made the effort. Obviously not too windy for Bill's Jungmann anyway!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 04:22:44 PM »

Hi Bill

It was nice to see you again and let us hope it continues for some time to come!

Peter
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 04:48:11 PM »

Have a few more pics. Post tomorrow.
Good fun and free cake!
Lurk.
Newbie_John
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 06:04:18 PM »

I had a very enjoyable day just as a spectator.

I was amazed at the performance of some of the aircraft in that wind!  ( and winced for the owners as I saw a few "re-kitted"  Sad Sad Sad )

I'm still trying to match up Forum names with faces, though Cheesy

(I was the guy with the Brooklands cap, wife and white dog - that had to buy his wife lunch at The Trout as a bribe to get there  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Next time I'll bring stuff to fly, the encouragement is working!

Cheers all, John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 12:52:46 AM »

Thanks to the Oxford bods for organising the day.  If you like "simple" freeflight I think (real life permitting) it's one not to miss.  Especial thanks to Mrs Crisp for the cake, it was lovely and also to Alan Trinder who manned the Hi-Start line acting as time-keeper for everyone without taking a break for the duration of that competition.  Fewer entries than last year, about half a dozen, but there were enough of us to keep Alan pretty busy.

I was flying my Walthew MK II and West Wings Swallow in Hi-Start and got some some satisfactory times* in, nothing world beating but I was pleased with them  The blokes (sorry - I did get names, but my memory is rubbish) with their carbon fibre rod fuselage beasties, which flew extremely well even in the nasty, choppy, quartering wind got in some very good flights indeed.  At least one of them made somewhere about/over the 90s mark.

Took the Horsa along for test flying on a nice big field, that turned out well despite rekitting it for the 3rd time. Simon Rogers also turned up with a lovely Hotspur which he got two or three nice scale like flights out of and a couple or three scary ones - really the wind was quite unfriendly.  I'll try and get the video of the last, scary, flight posted this evening.  Simon also turned up with a Horsa! It was built to the original  R.V. Base plan with some simplifications/improvements and he managed to get a short flight with that off the 1/16" line I took along.

Pics. Simon's Horsa and a few more snaps of the scale entries. I also have a snap of the Knights at their ease on their sofa, but I'm waiting for permission to upload that. Smiley

*The Swallow was not on her very best behaviour, but did turn in a 45s flight as well as a string of 30s flights. However the Walthew pleased me no end by achieving 61s again with a string of flights around about the 30s mark.  Now this is important, at least to me, because the Rev. Callon claimed the design was good for a minute in the original Aeromodeller article and again in the A.B.C of Model Aircraft Construction and it was extremely gratifying to see him vindicated.
Re: Oxford Dreaming Spires FF Rally
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 05:33:56 AM »

Reproduced with the kind permission of Marilyn and Derek.

This portrait entitled, "Aeromodelling in Style".  Limited edition signed prints can be had from the Publicity Dept. at Lurker Industries.  Send a postal order for 2/6d together with a stamped self-addressed envelope to the usual address. Smiley

TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 03:07:41 PM »

Simon got some decent flights from his Hotspur, unfortunately I didn't film any of those so I'm afraid you'll have to make do with this

https://vimeo.com/340050408
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 05:16:16 AM »

Hooz is the Westland biplane fighter? That's really super-excellent.

Stephen.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 05:49:41 AM »

The F.7/30 (PV 4)?
Think it's Derek Knight's, but not certain.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 05:58:42 AM »

Thanks for the pics and vid, Lurk; great stuff. (That Knight sofa-trolley must have clocked up quite a mileage by now! How many of us think ‘Wish I had one of those’ every time we see it?)
Newbie_John
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 06:45:23 AM »

Yes, the PV 4 is (was!) Derek Knight's. It was sadly almost destroyed on it's last flight as the wind got up even more just before the rain came. I hope I will be as philosophical about re-kitting one of mine as he was about his........
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »

That is a shame, although having sometimes seen Derek’s apparently ‘destroyed’ models magically resurrected even in the same day, hopefully the PV 4 will fly again. It does make me think that perhaps the low scale turnout was somewhat justifiable though, despite Bill’s lamentation that there were only 3 entrants.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: