Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 20, 2019, 01:45:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rubber o rings for electric propellor attachment  (Read 201 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2019, 08:49:50 AM »

Sorry for the long title. I've asked this before but I am no nearer a solution. My one foray into electric power has foundered on my inability to find replacement o rings to hold the prop on. The motor comes with an o ring but it flew off and  when I ordered replacements they were much too thick. The local plastic reddi-bilt emporium is full of electric stuff but no o rings. A google search leads me to an insane world of different materials and sizes, none of which are what I want. To be honest, I am well cheesed-off with the whole thing. Please don't send me to any of the Pound universes.
The size I need is 16mm id and 2mm thickness, 20mm od. Please can anyone point me in the right direction?
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 09:01:54 AM »

Have you tried Micron Radio? 10 for £1.15.
Ron
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 09:14:22 AM »

Ron, as so often, you come up trumps. Thanks.
Actually it's interesting how, when you venture into a new area, one hasn't a clue.
Bill
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 09:16:40 AM »

Hi Bill, have a look here:

https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/components-hardware/prop-adapters-parts/prop-savers.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Red-Prop-Saver-Rubber-Bands-O-Rings-RC-Plane-21x15x3mm-/291181280224

https://www.rclife.co.uk/2mm-Prop-Saver

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multi-purpose-o-rings-prop-saver-bands-10pcs.html?___store=en_us
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »

Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry

I absolutely despise the "Prop saver" (stupid name) method of prop attachment. It is such a lazy, ineffective "solution". Just when you manage to get one on, they more than likely will spin off the shaft as soon as you get the motor to 100% power. I will not use them ever again.

But, saying that, a few years ago, when I was just starting to learn the electric game, I had the same issue: "Where to find the rings?"

Go to your nearest hardware store and buy an assortment of plumbing O-Rings (they are used for faucets). You can buy a box for a few bucks, and one of them will probably work. Once you figure out exactly which one, you can then buy just that size.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 09:30:05 AM »

Bill,
technically and commercially King of O-Rings is Angst + Pfister which of course sells and trades also in UK. But probably you cannot use that piece of info not being a enterprise. Over here there are outlets selling all sort of mechanical-hydraulic stuff which stock also O-rings and sell small quantity's.

But if you insist using that way of fixation for the prop why not use simple latex bands which you find on every corner of your town.

For the rest I stay with Starduster and prefer a stable, screwed on prop holder.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »

Suddenly I am awash with o rings and have ordered some. Thanks all.
I have no opinion on the 'prop saver' thing so will find out. I suppose that as I am using it on a FF scale model, there will be unexpected arrivals. If it doesn't work, I''ll try something else.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »

On my home made Prop savers for 3 blade props I always use ordinary rubber bands so I can wrap all three blades and have never had a problem. I also use them on standard 2 blade set up as it is easy to vary the tension to suit the application as I often find the "O" ring has too much tension and does not "save the prop". I'm sure this is for a Free Flight model that usually does not use full power/revs. and does not have to quickly vary the speed, you can adjust the tension so it is just firm enough to hold the prop.

Sorry I was typing while you posted, still relevant though I think.
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »

Like dputt7 I have used rubber bands to hold my props on electric motors for years.  Like wing bands, put a couple on and if one submits to UV degradation the other as likely holds.  "O" rings are not necessary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: