Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 02:10:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Foam Davis DA2  (Read 1250 times)
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:12:39 AM »

Been a little busy and have not been on the forum lately.

Been working on this for the past couple of months, its made with sanded down foam sheet (looks and feels like Depron but is not called that).
It was supposed to be a Peanut but I got the scaling wrong and its 13 1/2 inches in span.
I'm hoping to fly it in the club scale day.

weight it 12g as is , I'll have to add some nose weight to get the CG right.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Foam Davis DA2
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:02:55 AM »

After a couple of months away from models, I got the chance to do some flying, last week. Tried to get DA-2 Trimmed. It flies OK under power but dives once the turns are off. It's hopeful but not dialed in.

Curiously I could only get it to turn by using adjusting thrust line, because of the V-tail trying to induce a turn would cause a pitch change, I tried aileron deflection and a Gurney flap, it banked but continued in a straight line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reQQzx1TB7A&feature=youtu.be

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:53:07 AM »

Hi Korale, good to see you back. One thing that’s minor and may not be a problem is the knot location. See what happens when you try to get the rubber knot close to the CG. Plus it could be the effect of the hook sliding forward once the rubber is slack. Other than that it’s pretty rock stable. You are right to use thrust for your turn IMHO.

The Threadkiller!
BrianS
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:04:41 AM »

Been working on this for the past couple of months, its made with sanded down foam sheet (looks and feels like Depron but is not called that).
It was supposed to be a Peanut but I got the scaling wrong and its 13 1/2 inches in span.

I owned a DA2 for about a decade and this is really cool to see.
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Kudos: 126

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 04:32:00 AM »

After a couple of months away from models, I got the chance to do some flying, last week. Tried to get DA-2 Trimmed. It flies OK under power but dives once the turns are off. It's hopeful but not dialed in.

Curiously I could only get it to turn by using adjusting thrust line, because of the V-tail trying to induce a turn would cause a pitch change, I tried aileron deflection and a Gurney flap, it banked but continued in a straight line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reQQzx1TB7A&feature=youtu.be

Hi Korale. Wow, that's a lovely little model, she flies quite nicely too. Looking at your video, to my eye she looks a tiny bit under elevated, which also usually means the balance point is a little rearward. Try bending both elevators up very slightly, and increase the nose weight. This will raise the nose a little in normal flight, so you may need a tiny bit of down thrust. A better solution is the raise the leading edge of the wing slightly, but that may be tricky.

Richard Crossley
Knightflyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 03:31:16 PM »

I did a DA2 peanut long ago. This was such a blast to see!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: