Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 06:54:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DPCM Sopwith Pup  (Read 1795 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »

I don't know about garish ... but it is looking great  Smiley
Joking aside, that is an authentic looking blue.

I just need a bit more room to resume my own Pup.
This is from someone with combined workshop space of over 400 sq ft. ! Where's Monz to put me to shame?!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »

Thanks Russ. The artist who drew the colour 3 view made the blue a bit more torquise but he also drew the Le Rhone rotary rotating in the wrong direction ...  Undecided

I'll take your assertion that it's the right colour
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »

Chris, you've just raised the bar - twice!!  Might have an untouched DPC Pup kit for sale shortly...  Grin
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »

Do not despair Jon I am nowhere the the bar you have set with flying these models. Speaking of which, do you add any rudder to make the model turn or is it all done with the gurney flap , I am very envious of the beautiful wide circles you trim your models to fly in.

A bit more progress on the Pup. I had hoped to finish the painting but I still have the white top wing tips and rudder to go, oh well a job for next weekend.

The Aluminium cowling and side panels are now painted I just went for Humbrol Chrome thinned with Cellulose Thinners and airbrushed on in light coats. It looks sufficiently different to the silver dope finish ... to my eye at least. I might add some oil streaking to it as well, as shown in my crash pictures of the original which should , hopefully disguise it further

The cockpit gets a head rest, its not properly stuck on yet but you get the idea. Whoever did the colour scheme for the Pup subtlety was not a priority.

The leather cockpit coaming is from brown Hearty clay. Hopefully it will dry in that shape and I can stick it on. I need to make a screen as well as the gun had been removed, presumably when it was sold off after WW1 as surplus. Its difficult to see in the pics but I guess it's a standard aero screen

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: DPCM Sopwith Pup
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2019, 01:24:13 PM »

...Speaking of which, do you add any rudder to make the model turn or is it all done with the gurney flap...

Chris, I almost always make the rudder adjustable (use hinges made from slivers of thin food-tray aluminium) to set up just the right amount of (left) yaw for the diameter circle I want.  The function of the gurney(s) on the inner wing(s) is to then prevent the yaw becoming a roll-in by holding these wings up.  I also often build in more wash-out on the outer wing than the inner (which sometimes has no wash-out at all or even some preliminary wash-in) so that the gurneys are only used really as a final tweaking aid.  But I also don't like overdoing the gurneys or differential wash-out/in as the effect of all this wing-warping/gurneys is dependent on speed and especially the effect of lessening prop-wash over the rudder as the rubber winds down - i.e. too much gurney etc will result in the circle opening up too much on the final descent stages of the flight!  Thus I've become a fan of adding some tip-weight to the outer wing - which, being non-speed and non-prop-wash sensitive, is a 'mechanical' rather than 'aerodynamic' way of helping to keep the wings level during all flight phases.

Hope this makes sense!  And, obviously, its a judgement call depending on the model itself - but building four biplanes in a row (VMC Camel, then Peck Andreasson, Bristol Scout and Halberstadt Peanuts) has certainly helped increase my luck!  Wink

Jon

PS - I haven't mentioned down- or side-thrust which, strictly speaking, is a response to the torque of any given loop of rubber (and prop) rather than anything to do with the dynamic between yaw (rudder) and what is in effect opposite-aileron (warps/gurneys) to keep the wings almost level in flight.

Of course this opposite aileron ensures that the lift generated is almost all in the vertical direction, thus benefiting height and so duration.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2019, 07:12:17 PM »

It's coming on well Chris! I like the overall effect of the cowl and the colours. Those wheel hubs look very realistic.

John
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: