Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 03:53:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DPCM Sopwith Pup  (Read 2707 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »

I don't know about garish ... but it is looking great  Smiley
Joking aside, that is an authentic looking blue.

I just need a bit more room to resume my own Pup.
This is from someone with combined workshop space of over 400 sq ft. ! Where's Monz to put me to shame?!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »

Thanks Russ. The artist who drew the colour 3 view made the blue a bit more torquise but he also drew the Le Rhone rotary rotating in the wrong direction ...  Undecided

I'll take your assertion that it's the right colour
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »

Chris, you've just raised the bar - twice!!  Might have an untouched DPC Pup kit for sale shortly...  Grin
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »

Do not despair Jon I am nowhere the the bar you have set with flying these models. Speaking of which, do you add any rudder to make the model turn or is it all done with the gurney flap , I am very envious of the beautiful wide circles you trim your models to fly in.

A bit more progress on the Pup. I had hoped to finish the painting but I still have the white top wing tips and rudder to go, oh well a job for next weekend.

The Aluminium cowling and side panels are now painted I just went for Humbrol Chrome thinned with Cellulose Thinners and airbrushed on in light coats. It looks sufficiently different to the silver dope finish ... to my eye at least. I might add some oil streaking to it as well, as shown in my crash pictures of the original which should , hopefully disguise it further

The cockpit gets a head rest, its not properly stuck on yet but you get the idea. Whoever did the colour scheme for the Pup subtlety was not a priority.

The leather cockpit coaming is from brown Hearty clay. Hopefully it will dry in that shape and I can stick it on. I need to make a screen as well as the gun had been removed, presumably when it was sold off after WW1 as surplus. Its difficult to see in the pics but I guess it's a standard aero screen

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: DPCM Sopwith Pup
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2019, 01:24:13 PM »

...Speaking of which, do you add any rudder to make the model turn or is it all done with the gurney flap...

Chris, I almost always make the rudder adjustable (use hinges made from slivers of thin food-tray aluminium) to set up just the right amount of (left) yaw for the diameter circle I want.  The function of the gurney(s) on the inner wing(s) is to then prevent the yaw becoming a roll-in by holding these wings up.  I also often build in more wash-out on the outer wing than the inner (which sometimes has no wash-out at all or even some preliminary wash-in) so that the gurneys are only used really as a final tweaking aid.  But I also don't like overdoing the gurneys or differential wash-out/in as the effect of all this wing-warping/gurneys is dependent on speed and especially the effect of lessening prop-wash over the rudder as the rubber winds down - i.e. too much gurney etc will result in the circle opening up too much on the final descent stages of the flight!  Thus I've become a fan of adding some tip-weight to the outer wing - which, being non-speed and non-prop-wash sensitive, is a 'mechanical' rather than 'aerodynamic' way of helping to keep the wings level during all flight phases.

Hope this makes sense!  And, obviously, its a judgement call depending on the model itself - but building four biplanes in a row (VMC Camel, then Peck Andreasson, Bristol Scout and Halberstadt Peanuts) has certainly helped increase my luck!  Wink

Jon

PS - I haven't mentioned down- or side-thrust which, strictly speaking, is a response to the torque of any given loop of rubber (and prop) rather than anything to do with the dynamic between yaw (rudder) and what is in effect opposite-aileron (warps/gurneys) to keep the wings almost level in flight.

Of course this opposite aileron ensures that the lift generated is almost all in the vertical direction, thus benefiting height and so duration.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2019, 07:12:17 PM »

It's coming on well Chris! I like the overall effect of the cowl and the colours. Those wheel hubs look very realistic.

John
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »

Squirrelnet

Your lucky day....underside details on eBay.  Note "G" on underside of stabilizer, probably on top too.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:10:32 PM by Mark Braunlich » Logged

Mark
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2019, 02:07:33 AM »

My lucky day indeed Mark

Thanks very much for that. Not a shot I've seen before, I had no idea about the G on the underside of the tail.

Chris
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2019, 01:22:03 PM »

Mark's post was very timely, so thanks again Mark , as I'm just about to start making up the markings. I'll add two G's to the underside of the tail.

The top shots I have of G-EAVX don't show a G on the top of tail ( see Pic)

Finally the painting is finished, with the white done today. I've made a start on the markings , the red stripe is from red sprayed decal sheet as this seemed easier to me that masking and spraying and I've probably got a sharper line than I could achieved with masking
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »

Spent a nice afternoon cutting out letters from painted decal sheet and attaching them... feel quite relaxed now  Cool

The drawing I have from The Aviation Historian has a few differences to the photos I have so I've gone with the photos. Happy with the results, the fuselage looks like a colour blindness test image ! There's some wrinkling from the Decal Fix on the bottom wing but that seems to be drying out nicely

Hopefully next weekend I can't put it all together
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »

Nice matt finish on the fuselage Chris.
the fuselage looks like a colour blindness test image
What, you mean it's coloured?  Smiley

John
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2019, 01:29:56 PM »

What, you mean it's coloured?  Smiley

No I mean I find the registration letters on the fuselage hard to read. The combination of colours gives me a headache ! I think actually they are very similar tone so only the colour separates them

I stuck the wings on today. The kit comes with some extra bits that make the struts into a jig for wing incidence but to be doubly sure I made a centre section jig from some foam board so I could glue the cabane struts to the fuselage and make fitting the top wing a bit less fiddly. The struts, which I had already painted, had the jig strips stuck directly too them so hopefully to make life easier later I applied a small strip masking tape around the strut and cyno'd the jig strips to this. This should make removing the jig when it's all dried much easier as your just need cut the tape and peel it off... hopefully. Well it's worked before with cowling moulding jigs and the like.

I made up a prop shaft with 'S' hook. The prop would have been far too close to the cowling with the KP Adjustable nose button fitted to the dummy crankcase so I added a small glass bead. The bead came from my local art shop and was in their jewellery section, the benefit being I can make myself a necklace from the extra ones in the packet  Cool

Pic 1 - jigged up and drying ready for the top wing

Pic 2 - propped together
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:01:38 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2019, 01:41:43 PM »

Looks really great with the wings on, Chris. It's certainly a unique and characterful scheme. Love the contast of the hurriedly bunged on race numbers and the registration!
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2019, 01:45:44 PM »

> Looks really great with the wings on, Chris. It's certainly a unique and characterful scheme.
> Love the contast of the hurriedly bunged on race numbers and the registration!

What he said...  Smiley
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2019, 02:07:14 PM »

Look on the bright side.  It's going to be dead easy to find in long grass when it flies away.  Smiley

Nice bit of work that.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2019, 12:49:28 PM »

Thanks chaps - much appreciated

Finished the assembly today. Making a jig for the cabane and glueing the struts to the fuselage first helped a lot, along with glueing the struts to the bottom wing. Fitting the top was fiddly but much easier. I did need to trim the rear cabane struts a tad to get equal incidence on the top wing. To check this I attached thin balsa strips to the top and bottom wings along the flat wing section bottom and checked they were parallel or very slightly narrowing to the rear to indicate any error was giving the top wing more incidence

Now all the bits are stuck on it looks like an aeroplane, there's still a few bits to add and it's only now looking at the pics that I realise I have forgotten to mark out the control surfaces and fit the air intakes and screen before putting it together  Undecided No huge problem but it would have been easier when the bits are separate.

There's the rigging still to do. I'll do this before I try to fly it as I'm thinking it will add to the strength of the model.

The VMC 6" prop looks like it'll be good for ROG and AUW is now 35g. It balances asis, due to the adding of a dummy engine no doubt but it will need some more nose weight when the motor is fitted. I moved the peg forward but there's still a fair bit of motor behind the CG

Some more pics attached including a couple in a suitable pose

Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2019, 01:29:18 PM »

On the subject of rigging.

What would be the best thing to rig the model with? I was thinking of using ordinary thread but would fine monofilament fishing line be better ?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2019, 02:02:48 PM »

Personally, these days I like to use ordinary thread, preferably something like polyester that's less hairy than cotton. Although it's a bit more trouble to get the thread tight, I do think it adds a lot more strength than elastic or anything stretchy.
(It's looking great btw!)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2019, 04:29:17 AM »

Looking betterer and betterer Chris!

Re rigging, I use bait elastic (fishing tackle shop or online).

First I colour it by stretching long lengths between pins and use either a grey Sharpie or watered-down acrylic.

When it goes on the airframe, I tension it so that it just pings rather than remains too stretchy, then fix each joint with a dab of CA before moving on to the next joint.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2019, 01:53:16 PM »

Thanks both  Grin

In the end I went with the polyester thread route as its easily available, though the bait elastic sounds good so I'll explore that later. That could also work well on larger models where the rigging or control runs are dummy.

Cyno was used to lock it to the various attachment points. the only tricky one is the lower rear flying wire which is attached to a hole drilled through the fuselage in line with the rear cabane strut. The front flying wire is attached to the front UC leg. Still have the tail to do but it seems to have worked well. I wound it round the struts so I'll paint over the visible bits when I get a chance.

A screen has been added too as this demobbed Pup is minus it's gun. I've still the tail to do but nearly there
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »

When I grow up I want to able to build as well as that.  Points *up*. 
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »

That's a great build Chris  Smiley ... look forward to seeing it perform!
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2019, 04:46:06 PM »

It is looking good Chris. I will be interested to see how it stands up to rigid rigging. I had planned on using elastic rigging on mine, the elastic stuff sold by Wingnut models for their 1/32 scale WW1 plastic models.

Paul
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2019, 06:37:16 PM »

Very charismatic Chris. I'm always amazed at how rigging sets off biplanes.

John
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2019, 06:13:25 AM »

That looks great.

I hesitate to ask this, but - now that it's finished, what does it weigh?

A.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: