Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 20, 2019, 01:39:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: (UK) Eddie Riding - Buckminster  (Read 827 times)
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 03:37:16 AM »

It was alarming how quickly models disappeared in the long grass, luckily I don't think there were any total losses.

Thanks for the congrats, it was an unexpected win. I had a couple of flights where the DH60 gained enough height before turning and I got away with it ,left it that

Here's some pics from the static hanger

1 - Ivan Taylor's Lightening

2 - Mike Smith' Sopwith Snipe

3 - Bill Dennis's - New Caprioni

4 - My Own DH 60 Cirrus Moth

5 - Andrew Hewit's new Sopwith Camel

6 - Mike Stuart's Short Seamew
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: (UK) Eddie Riding - Buckminster
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2019, 03:46:02 AM »

1 - Pete Fardell's Comte Gentleman

2 - Paul Briggs SE5a

3- Paul's Bristol Scout

4 - A cheery wave from the pilot is a great touch, he even has a map in case he gets lost

5 - Bill's Bristol Scout

6 - Andrew Hewitts EJR winning  ABC Robin

Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2019, 04:00:59 AM »

Pic 1 - Bill's Bucker Jungman

Pic 2 - another view of Bill's Caprioni which shows the unusual wing layout

Pic 3 - Paul Briggs rubber SE5a

Pic 4 - Mike Kelsey's IC SE5a

Pic 5 - Ivan Taylors all conquering Zero, winning rubber and the overall trophy. I did look impressive in flight

Pic 6 - Mike Smith's HP 02/100 undergoes the attention of the judges
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2019, 04:09:38 AM »

1 - Mike's HP 02/100

2 - Bill's Fairchild Argus, last years winner... I thought for a minute it was one of the prizes

3 - the impressive trophy table and EJR display

4 - Andy sephton's Lacey gets away on trimming flight

5 - Bonus picture... Mike Kelsy's lovely new Avro Baby, hopefully next years entrant ?

I have some video I'll post
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 121

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2019, 05:08:53 AM »

Thanks for all those, Chris. As suspected, mine are mostly similar but here are two more pics of the Robin-heavy ER table and a couple showing 2 of the same models but from different angles: the Briggs ER Scout (which made interesting comparison with Bill’s) and Mike Kelsey’s SE5a from the rear. (I didn’t see his new Avro Baby though... very nice!)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 05:47:24 AM »

Really good photos - thank you!.  I really missed out did I not?  Stupid boy.  I was fully intending to come but for a variety of reason did not - started with the attempts to book some accommodation which proved difficult and went down hill from there.

Can I have some guidance please?  You see I have built Robin and mindful of the rules made sure that I adhered to the plan and the article in the Aromodeller July 1946.  Don't like doing that much but needs must.  So with the plan from Outerzone assumed I had started on the right track.  There was one small glitch though - down loaded as is the plan came out too big!!  Not a lot but too big nonetheless bless. This was in fact spotted by the lady in the local shop (alas just closed)  recognising the importance of such things checked a measurement on the first copy and found the wheel was at least an eighth of an inch oversize so reduced things accordingly.  As you can imagine the loss of the copy shop will be long felt!!

Looking at the winning model I see straight away there are some deviations from "my"plan at least.  The cockpit for example. On mine it is simply a piece of acetate sheet folded to suit.  Andy Hewitt has followed what I am sure is the real thing.  Likewise with the space between the wings. Andy is of course very experienced.  So was this intentional for example and took a hit (or did he?). on the points or, which is my concern, have I got the wrong plan??

I am not competition minded at all so from my point of view it matters not a jot.  Just be nice to know.  My Robin is untrimmed by the way (a contributing factor) because I took it out on two occasions with that in mind - first time forgot the motor peg and second time left the prop behind.  Then no time/weather. Clearly the "day" was a very good - could have been a little less windy as has been said but other wise a good display all round - a very good site for the event and so next year maximum effort! 
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 07:22:22 AM »

Some more pics on the Peterborough site this morning, thanks to Tony Beckett...
http://www.peterboroughmfc.org/Gallery2019/2019-9-SAM35-2/2019-9-SAM35-2.htm
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »

There's a video of some of the flights, which also gives an illustration of the conditions here...

https://youtu.be/A--dd4KJNJg
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2019, 04:23:48 AM »

Thanks for that, Chris; a typically entertaining compilation which certainly shows the challenges of flying in those conditions. Especially for those brave enough to have brought biplanes along!

I'd just like to thank Martin Pike for helping me retrieve my model from the cornfield after its final flight. He went round to the place where you can cross the ditch whilst I stayed on the oither side, and then just lobbed the model over. After that he just scrambled through the ravine after it rather than walk all the way back round, and didn't have any difficulty getting across which is maybe worth knowing.

(Mind you, he's got youngish legs and is used to flying in a Welsh bog apparently!)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 04:40:54 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2019, 05:09:28 AM »

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post the pictures and video, Squirrelnet.  Wind does seem to have characterised a good chunk of the weather we have received so far this 'summer' - even when it's been sunny. Sad

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins     
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »

he's got youngish legs and is used to flying in a Welsh bog apparently!

Yes point taken ...I'd probably still be down there trying work out how to make a ladder out of a DH60  Cheesy

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »

Thanks for all the video/photos  Smiley

I only took the one photo there ... it does show how easy it would be to lose a model!

John Scates G.50 .... a Mike Nassise dime scaled x1.5
My Fw on the right.
(Both just test flying)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2019, 01:23:14 PM »

Will the ER results eventually appear on the BMFA site or somewhere? Absolutely not in a hurry, but just quite curious to know the depths of my static score for the Comte before I put it in other static judged contests like Oxford and the Aug Nats. (I should've asked on the day really.)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »

Funnily enough, I had a sneaky look at your scale scores... more than others I have to say. I was a bit taken aback with a couple of the low scores that you got.
I was going to mention it, but didn't want to look as though I was stirring the pot! Small posts from my mobile ... to be cont.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »

The last two categories were 2 out of 10.
I think these were something like scale outline accuracy and scale complexity?(forgive me if I'm wrong ... it was a quick squint!)
Would this be down to the different rudder outline etc. from model to subject chosen?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 02:37:04 PM »

(Though I have seen photos of HB-IKO with both outlines?)

Edit:
I have just retraced your thread to the point at which it was discussed.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »

The last two categories were 2 out of 10.
I think these were something like scale outline accuracy and scale complexity?(forgive me if I'm wrong ... it was a quick squint!)
Would this be down to the different rudder outline etc. from model to subject chosen?
The last 2 sections should be scale detail accuracy and complexity. These marks are largely decided when the subject is chosen; you can't put on what isn't there. Same goes for colour and markings complexity. The latter on an all-red model will be about 2 marks
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2019, 03:37:37 PM »

Fair enough, Bill.
I think I perhaps always look to the generous side ... especially with the markings in this case, albeit all white.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2019, 03:58:03 PM »

Pete

I am responsible for putting up the scale results on the main and scale websites (my official job, as now stood down from indoor organiser).
However I can't put up something if it aint sent to me.
I will chase the EJR CD (Dave Causer) I think, or was it Doug Hunt?

John M
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2019, 04:14:54 PM »

Hi John

Yes CD was Dave Causer
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »

Thanks Russ and Bill. I'm not bothered if it scored very poorly in static as I built it for the AM designs comp originally, and even with a poor static mark it was still good enough for 3rd on the day (once the wind had reduced the field a bit! Cheesy) I'm just quite interested to know how it fared on the outline accuracy marks because a) only the side view drawing showed the radial engine conversion, and b) I included b&w photos of it with the old rudder version (as modelled) but also superior colour photos of it as it is now with the new rudder. All were clearly annotated, but I'm wondering if it would have been better to leave out the 'new rudder' colour pics altogether.  Or, alternatively, to leave out the b&w 'old rudder' pics except for the side view one where it matters.
Basically I'm just wanting to make the best of what I have, but I'm sure Bill will sort me out when he actually sees my docs (after he's finished laughing of course).

And I realise that if anyone really wanted to make a properly competitive scale model of this aircraft they'd redraw or amend the 3 view to show the current engine, wheels and rudder, get it ratified, and go from there. I'm probably Comted out for now though.

John: Thanks; with it being part of the SAM35 weekend I wasn't quite sure if the ER event counted as an official BMFA comp, although last year's results are there I see.  And as before, I must stress that I am absolutely NOT hassling anyone to get any results up quickly and will have no problem at all if they never appear or hell freezes over first. Thanks again for your continued unpaid efforts in keeping my hobby so enjoyable!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »

Scale fidelity aside, it is a nice model to behold and watch fly ....and intended primarily for the AM comp as you say.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: