Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 04:37:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Skycraft (Wheeler) Scout for CO2  (Read 262 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2019, 10:05:22 AM »

I've had this idea in the back of my head for a few years now, ever since seeing this first pic of the Wheeler Scout; an early microlight invented by an Australian called Ron Wheeler in 1977. A very minimal machine, presumably designed for slightly mad Aussies with scant regard for rules or personel safety but who wanted something fun to do when not surfing or fighting crocs. Unforturtnately I couldn't find a  3 view.... until today!

It was all thanks to Graham, because this morning  I looked through a few of my books to see if I had a drawing of the Stits Skeeto he posted about. I hadn't (sorry) but I DID find this drawing of a Skycraft Scout in a book I'd already looked in before. The other problem I've had with CO2 lately is that my Derek Knight filler adaptor leaks when I screw it down onto the big gas bottle. So I had a look at that this morning as well and shook out the o ring. I'd already checked it before, but this time a flake of metal fell out too, and when I replaced the o ring all was well and the seal now holds. So, I'm all set to start planning this project although I won't start building till after my Dewoitine's finished.

I'm thinking that if I can work out how to keep the single surface wing reasonably stiff I can make it VERY light indeed, and also quite big to get a very slow flight speed. I'm hoping Dan, or someone, can advise me on the optimal CO2 motor for the optimal wingspan for a slo-fly indoor model. I have at my disposal a GM300, GM120 and a Telco.

(This might yet end up as another YHWM if I model this one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7-23gtYOQQ)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Skycraft (Wheeler) Scout for CO2
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 11:57:41 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »

You do keep finding them Pete ... looks like a photoshopped Sleek Streak!
I'll let the experts advise re. CO2 motor.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »

Hi Pete!

Personally, I'd go for around 26" and GM120. The smaller tank (Relative to the 300) would be much easier to hide in a dummy pilot; which is what I'd try to do.

Cheers!

Dan.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 01:20:52 PM »

Interesting subject Pete, a 21st century Demoiselle ?

I like Dan's idea of hiding the tank in the pilot , very neat
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 01:27:08 PM »

Cheers Chris and thanks Dan- sounds like a good plan and 26" is a nice size. Also, I've got two GM120s so it'll be nice to have a spare motor. I think hiding the tank in the pilot is a good idea too, and was already thinking along those lines. The problem people sometimes have with that ruse when used in Demoiselles etc. is that it puts the CG a bit far back. I wonder if that would be the case here too? Maybe he could be leaning forward though, or even wearing bell-bottomed tank-hiding trousers.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:30:35 PM »

Or maybe my pilot has a loyal pal...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Skycraft (Wheeler) Scout for CO2
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »

This is a really lovely (if rather blurry) film which sums up the charm of this aircraft and the glorious laid back freedom of the early days of microlighting in Oz. Will the world ever see the like of it again? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43-sVc1_uM
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »

As crude as it looks it actually flew as long as you were not too heavy!

A good coverage of it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skycraft_Scout

As for making the wings stiff enough - why not use curved rib long balsa batterns in the sail wing and tail for that matter? The wing TE may need light tensioning to help maintain the shape?

John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: