Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 14, 2019, 04:50:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fitting an uncut spinner to the prop  (Read 194 times)
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »

Hello all,

I have a couple engines which came with uncut spinners.  I have successfully enlarged existing spinner cutouts to fit a prop.  Easy to work on just one edge and easy to keep both cutouts identical.   All I need to do is keep one edge constant and work on the radius of the other.

I just have a difficult time with an uncut one.  Any tips out there in Hippocketland?  How do you start?
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 04:34:09 AM »

That´s a new one. I´ve no experience other than with a plastic spinner. I suppose I would make an accurate drawing on squared paper of the plan view of the prop. Then a line from tip to tip through the hole. Then measure the distance from this centre line to the LE and TE where the spinner coincides. Then transfer these to the spinner. Then start filing!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:30:21 AM »

Dean, are these hollow plastic spinners? You start by drawing a line through the centre and mark the sides. Make a measurement from centre to side, transfer this mark to the prop, (both sides), find the angle at that point and transfer to the spinner than as Bill says file or snip away! Of course one side goes one way and the other, the other way. Its fit and cut from then on. This is probably a redundancy from Bill's post (translated to Crabbyish)..... I never do this till I know the plane has stopped acting out! Another thing, and this is this thing that can hold progress at my work bench...wrapping one's brains around the project so one can visualize the process and result through one's own mind's eye! Send pics!

The Threadkiller!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 08:42:11 AM »

Hi Crabby; I assumed it was one of those fancy metal spinners as seen, maybe, on Rossi or fast K&B speed motors. We´ll see.
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:03:12 AM »

I use a contour gauge (found at Home Depot--$7) to press against the face of the prop blade and transfer the shape to a piece of masking tape with a fine pen. Cut the masking tape to the transferred pen line and stick this template on the spinner. Mark the spinner with the line and then hollow out around the line. You can get very close using this method although I have only used it on rubber power props and spinners.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 06:19:18 PM »

Thanks for your replies.  It's an aluminum spinner on a Super Tigre G15.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: