Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2019, 08:12:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: geodesic kit recommendations for 9 yr old  (Read 313 times)
stubblejumper
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »

Hello

What would you guys recommend for a kit that uses geodesic construction for a 9yr old?

I want a kit, not plans. Short kit is ok, but would prefer one box with everything to turn him loose on.

The only ones I know of are both embryos:
    https://easybuiltmodels.com/pd01.htm
    https://jhaerospace.com/product/maxout-ix-embryo-endurance-short-kit-plans-not-included/

I would prefer a semi-scale model, but box fuselage is ok.

Also, we are a mile up, so something that still flys is a must.

He's built a couple Guillow's so far, and I am really just wanting to introduce him to new construction techniques.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 02:36:05 PM »

A favorite of mine, that uses a truss construction, is the Blue Ridge Special (now by Volare). It’s a simple single stick fuselage, demonstrates the advantage of the truss, flies very well. Comes in a double (2 pack) short kit. There are other postings on the BRS here in HPA.

Norm
stubblejumper
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 10:45:32 PM »

I was hoping for something with a geodesic wing, or other neat part to the build for him to discover.

So far, he has built a Guillow's hurricane, cessna 180 and javelin. The scale representations resonate well with him, but so far he is more of a builder than a flier and has really enjoyed looking at the Guillow's kits and figuring which parts can be tossed out or reworked to save weight, so I figure it is time to give him something designed differently.
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 02:22:43 PM »

I think that geodesic or geodetic wings and stabs are kind of rare in kits.  Comet, when it was still in business, released a series of scale planes in their Superstars series that featured geodetic construction. Models included Cessna 150, Messerschmitt ME-109, Junkers Ju-88, a few WW-I planes plus a few others.  These planes were heavy and not really suitable for decent flying.

As your skills increase, building from plans will give you more varied designs to choose from.  One notable designer that used a lot of geodetic design for his flying surfaces was Bob White.  You can search this site and see a lot of examples of his planes.  Search this site from Google using the following keywords:

bob white site:hippocketaeronautics.com

Strat-O
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 105

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »

Started to suggest the Debut but it’s not scale.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 04:18:47 PM »

You could take an existing kit and cut geodesic ribs. DJ Aerotech have a trick where they make all the diagonal ribs triangular, so they don't touch the covering. They only use this ahead of the spar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: