Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 09, 2020, 02:02:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ellipse 16in.  (Read 2439 times)
Sailaway
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »

Tapio, this is terrific.
You are truly very innovative and great engineering.
Can you share more info asto how you made these timers or will you make it commercially?
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2020, 01:21:42 PM »

That is a complicated question.

In principle the timer is quite a straightforward piece of electronics. One micro-controller, two FET transistors as switches for the rubber band burner and the buzzer. A switch. However as for CLG the aim is also to make the device as small and light as possible, I use surface-mount components, which are a bit harder to solder. So some expertise is required for soldering the device. Therefore even if I published the design, maybe not too many modelers could solder one together.

When it comes to making them for sale, the question is the limited amount of my hobby time and the time required to put one unit together. Thus far I prefer to do my own projects, as making timers for sale would be out of my hobby time. Making such small timers takes quite a lot of tinkering, so I would not be able to produce too many in my limited hobby time.
Sailaway
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2020, 04:43:02 PM »

Thanks Tapio. I understand.

Still, looks great. Are these rubber band burning timer?
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2020, 02:03:05 AM »

Still, looks great. Are these rubber band burning timer?

Yes, a band burner. As in the video in the link on msg #40 https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=24385.msg261933#msg261933
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2020, 03:04:57 AM »

All set up and ready to go. Just waiting for the calm weather to do the trimming. The yellow one is the 16", the other two are 18".

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Ellipse 16in.
che
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2020, 12:10:02 PM »

That floor looks interesting.............

CHE
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »

... next pic will show the ceiling!
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2020, 04:53:19 AM »

So I made hinged rudders to the planes...

I cut a groove on one side through the carbon skin and foam, leaving the other skin as hinge. The rudder will be slightly offset and the air stream will press it against the adjustment, so no spring is needed.
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2020, 05:09:31 AM »

I eventually had the chance to trim the new models. Two (16in and the other 18") had an interesting trim, not pithcing up much but rolling 90 degrees out of the launch bank, which results in rather nice transition to glide. The third one kept banking and required lots of rudder to counter that. Seems like that one had the wing ever so slightly rotated (launch turn side tip aft) causing an aileron effect (due to dihedral) maintaining the bank. I'll try reset that next to see if wing alignment has such strong impact on launch trim...
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2020, 02:42:20 AM »

During the previous trimming session I had to add some ballast to the nose of the new gliders to stop them from stalling. To avoid this, the next evolution version of the wing saddle. I replaces the two holes with M2 thread that accept the bolts attaching the wing to the wing saddle with oval holes, and add some square "nuts" underneath to lock the bolts onto. This way I can loosen the bolts, slide the wing forward or aft and re-tighten, to fine-tune the CoG location of the model. Without adding any ballast. The third hole in the saddle is for the decalage adjustment screw that will stay in the same position.

The same idea of adjusting the glide trim by sliding the wing is in use in my "Puzzle" E-36 model.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2020, 09:15:26 PM »

That 3d printer is being well used Tapio Smiley Neat.

John
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: