Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2019, 05:02:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: May 99 Rubber  (Read 280 times)
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2019, 07:11:04 AM »

Last night on e-bay somebody paid £1280 for 90g of 1/16" May 99 Tan ll rubber. Do any of you know who or why??!!! It makes a ready to fly Andriukov F1B look cheap!
Ron
Big G
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:28:46 AM »

I did hear it was up for auction, but didn't know til now that someone had actually bought it. Is it a UK buyer? To me, this is utterly crazy and makes something of a mockery of what model flying is all about. Does the buyer realise that no matter how your store rubber, after a period of 20 years it will have deteriorated? I hope whoever bought it does well with it...if he's an F1B flyer it won't even make up 3 motors. Even if he wants it for stripping to indoor dimensions, it won't make many motors.

I think the world of model flying is going, or has already gone, totally mad.

G
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 07:47:11 AM »

It was actually three 30g F1B motors which had been stretched but not used. How do you strip 1/16" rubber? And aren't F1D sometimes slightly over 1/16"?
Ron
Big G
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »

It was actually three 30g F1B motors which had been stretched but not used. How do you strip 1/16" rubber? And aren't F1D sometimes slightly over 1/16"?
Ron

I haven't actually seen the ad, my knowledge of it being second-hand. Tan rubber is made approx. 1mm thick and is stripped and sold in 1/4", 3/16" and 1/16" widths. So were these motors stripped to 1/16" width? I haven't flown F1B for some years, and back then we mostly used 1/8" rubber, but I understand current practise is to use 1/16" wide x double the number of strands one would use for 1/8". It all still sounds utterly incredible to me, especially as a Wakefield motor if properly wound won't last more than a couple of flights.

Re: stripping, I fly a bit of indoor for fun, and strip 1/8" Tan to required width using a mate's (expensive) stripper. Don't know if his stripper would handle 1/16" width.

G
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 10:24:18 AM »

The person who sold me a pound for $500 must be kicking himself about now.
kkphantom
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »

I've still got a pound box of May '99 in the cupboard. It was discussed at length on this forum but nobody offered to put their hand in their pocket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: