Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 20, 2019, 12:56:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: acrylic/perspex sheet?  (Read 216 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2019, 10:13:52 AM »

Advice please - am unfamiliar with these materials. I have a pair of collapsed (don't ask) spoked wheels. To rescue them I want to fill the centre with transparent discs about 1mm thick and then 'spoke' around them, having filed little grooves around the edge at the rim to take the spoke material. Which is best or is there no difference? And then any ideas on suppliers of small amounts (uk) and preferably cut?
thanks, Bill
Big G
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »

Try this place http://www.heavendowsett.com in Birmingham. They may let you have a rummage through their off-cuts bins.

G
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »

Polycarbonate would be tougher and less likely to crack while you're working with it. Lexan is the most famous brand, at least on this side of the Atlantic. Not sure how thin you can get it.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »

Thanks both. The problem I am finding is getting material 1mm thick; they all start at 2mm which I think will be heavy. I'll keep looking
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »

Bill,
I use 0.5mm PETG for moulding canopies etc. but might only have offcuts at the moment.
I might have some 1mm too. What diameter do you need?

The only polycarbonate I have is too thick.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »

Advice please - am unfamiliar with these materials. I have a pair of collapsed (don't ask) spoked wheels. To rescue them I want to fill the centre with transparent discs about 1mm thick and then 'spoke' around them, having filed little grooves around the edge at the rim to take the spoke material. Which is best or is there no difference? And then any ideas on suppliers of small amounts (uk) and preferably cut?
thanks, Bill

Bill-perspex is available in rod form as well as sheet...you might find it easier to buy a short length of rod and get someone to machine off a thin slice (and if required-adjust the diameter appropriately).....I can tell you from past experience-perspex is smelly stuff to work on with power tools...I once made a pair of wheels for a Payload model from it....using the trusty Dremel fretsaw to rough out the blanks....which were then chucked in an electric drill (via the axle bushing) to true up with sandpaper...I was rapidly persona non grata with the flatmates on account of the smell....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Bryanair
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 03:59:21 AM »

What about CD/DVD cases?
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 04:38:53 AM »

What about CD/DVD cases?
Great idea Bryan - Gareth's bringing me some scraps tomorrow but if not, I'll sacrifice a case
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: