Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 25, 2020, 11:07:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: May 99 Rubber  (Read 484 times)
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2019, 07:11:04 AM »

Last night on e-bay somebody paid £1280 for 90g of 1/16" May 99 Tan ll rubber. Do any of you know who or why??!!! It makes a ready to fly Andriukov F1B look cheap!
Ron
Big G
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:28:46 AM »

I did hear it was up for auction, but didn't know til now that someone had actually bought it. Is it a UK buyer? To me, this is utterly crazy and makes something of a mockery of what model flying is all about. Does the buyer realise that no matter how your store rubber, after a period of 20 years it will have deteriorated? I hope whoever bought it does well with it...if he's an F1B flyer it won't even make up 3 motors. Even if he wants it for stripping to indoor dimensions, it won't make many motors.

I think the world of model flying is going, or has already gone, totally mad.

G
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 07:47:11 AM »

It was actually three 30g F1B motors which had been stretched but not used. How do you strip 1/16" rubber? And aren't F1D sometimes slightly over 1/16"?
Ron
Big G
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »

It was actually three 30g F1B motors which had been stretched but not used. How do you strip 1/16" rubber? And aren't F1D sometimes slightly over 1/16"?
Ron

I haven't actually seen the ad, my knowledge of it being second-hand. Tan rubber is made approx. 1mm thick and is stripped and sold in 1/4", 3/16" and 1/16" widths. So were these motors stripped to 1/16" width? I haven't flown F1B for some years, and back then we mostly used 1/8" rubber, but I understand current practise is to use 1/16" wide x double the number of strands one would use for 1/8". It all still sounds utterly incredible to me, especially as a Wakefield motor if properly wound won't last more than a couple of flights.

Re: stripping, I fly a bit of indoor for fun, and strip 1/8" Tan to required width using a mate's (expensive) stripper. Don't know if his stripper would handle 1/16" width.

G
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 10:24:18 AM »

The person who sold me a pound for $500 must be kicking himself about now.
kkphantom
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »

I've still got a pound box of May '99 in the cupboard. It was discussed at length on this forum but nobody offered to put their hand in their pocket.
Skymon
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »

I've still got a pound box of May '99 in the cupboard. It was discussed at length on this forum but nobody offered to put their hand in their pocket.

They will need pretty deep pockets...
A 454g box is nearly £6,500 at the recent prices...

jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 03:27:27 PM »

5/99 rubber is available at a significantly more reasonable price if you live in the US, participate in the F1D program, and show an aptitude to properly utilize it.  Simply building an F1D and flying it at a couple contests is not enough.

That isn't meant to sound harsh, it's just the reality of a situation where a finite (and shrinking) supply of rubber is available, and we've not yet found a comparable alternative.

For those outside the US, the situation is more complicated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: