Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 23, 2019, 01:08:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Old Warden - Modelair Scale Weekend  (Read 544 times)
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2019, 03:16:38 PM »

Today was the first day of the two day event.

We were greeted by decent calm weather and warm temperatures so some good flying was to be had in the free flight area.

Although most of the flying was by sport models... er me included  Grin there were some really nice scale models around to be enjoyed.

My own PZL Wilga proved its a bit under powered with its Redfin 030 (.5cc), I had had trouble with it at Buckminster at the Eddie Riding and today screwing the nuts off the 030 was not enough and a head height circuit is the best I could get... luckily Alex Phinn was on hand with his Redfin trade stall and a new 049 (.75cc) TBR MKII should solve my woes.

The turnout looked a bit down on previous years, which is a shame but then we do have the Wimbledon Final, Cricket World Cup and the British GP to contend with. The forecast for tomorrow also looks flyable so hopefully we'll see a few more?

There's a few pics attached of the ones I managed to snap.

Pic 1 - Mike with his very nice VMC Tiger Moth

Pic 2 - Ron with his Corbin Super Ace

Pic 3 - Corbin Super Ace

pic 4 - Ron's Big AK

Pic 5 - Pete Illife's beautiful Fokker Triplane. It's electric and RC with a rotary engine that spins with the prop, I have some video of it flying I'll post later

Pic 6 - A nice electric FF BE2

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Old Warden - Modelair Scale Weekend
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »

Here's some more

Pic 1 - a lovely Leopoldoff 3 Colibri. This was a french designed trainer built under licence in Russia as Tiger Moth type trainer. This one has an extended UC to clear the prop and looks cracking. It's enlarged from the peanut plan

Pic 2 - the nicely done engine on the Leopoldoff 3 Colibri

Pic 3 - a Sperry Messenger by the same builder

Pic 4 - I love the look of this model.. I'm afraid I can't remember what it is and when I search the registration number I get a Cessna 180 !!!!

Pic 5 - Peter Smarts very nice Bristol Scout

Pic 6 - While retrieving a model in the woods I came across a rather larger aircraft that had found the vegetation
Re: Old Warden - Modelair Scale Weekend
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »

Will miss this weekend's event completely, but I am away so can't have it both ways .... great to see what's going on though.
Looks to be a great turnout already. Thanks for posting Smiley
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »

Pic #4= Bellanca Aircruiser.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 04:15:58 PM »

Thanks Indoorflyer I knew someone would know  Grin

Here's some more

Pic 1 Bellanca Aircruiser with it's builder

Pic 2 - A very nice Hacker Tiger Moth, part finished in its trimming form and looking very good. Hope to see this one finished and detailed soon

Pic 3 - A Pushy Plane, which I think is an old Aeromodeller plan. This one was a very entertaining flyer

Pic 4 - the Pushy Plane's ghostly pilot ... what a great model !
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 12:49:08 AM »

Chris,
        A nice set of photos of a nice range of models. What is interesting is that a lot of modellers are prepared to travel to Old Warden but not to the British Nationals in August; is this due to the size, and crowds, as well as how little is of direct interest, for what is a very small amount of flying. The Peterborough Flying Aces is also significantly better supported as well. When I attended the May Nationals that had all the Scale events it was noticeable how much better the support was and how positive was the comment about the amount of flying done. I agree as always there is a weather risk but then your weather is as variable as ours.
Ricky
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 05:23:59 AM »

Thanks for the report Chris. Here's hoping the larger motor gets your Wilga up without causing any extra hassles!

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 06:24:03 AM »

Thank you Chris -very nice.  I wonder if there any chance we can find out how many of those people who made the models enter the scale comps?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 06:58:40 AM »

David,
Most are involved or have been involved in this case ... though there are names that I am not familiar with.
Mike Stuart: multi Nats winner and organiser.
Ron: Indoor Nats judge, but frequent scale flyer for fun.
Pete Iliffe: Multiple indoor scale winner in the past.
Peter Smart: like Pete and Mike, it almost goes without saying.
Chris is everywhere too.
Just leaves a few for the press gang!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »

Ooooo..... you are so masterful!!

Yes I did recognise Mike and Pete and  Peter  - did not recognise Ron though - can’t remember when I last saw him!

I think though I am going to make a point of asking people who clearly build a nice model and don’t enter why not when the opportunity arises.  Not with a view of persuading necessarily but curiosity. 

Looking overall at the rules I cannot see anything that the reasonable man or woman could really take exception to.  Yes perhaps a little addition here and there that might encourage both entrants and spectators because looking into it and talking to people who know I think it is not really the rules that are the problem, it is simply not enough people choose to enter to bring in enough money to pay for the running of the events.  I take it that “we” get our entitlement from the BMFA to help with the cost?

Kit Scale seems to work very well but no surprises really.  It is “simple”.  And should remain so.  I see no reason why one should want to discourage anyone - e.g. some of the experienced people from entering by bonus points for being “new”. I would consider this patronising and if I placed as a result it would be a hollow victory. No, keep the playing field level.  Some people by the nature of things will naturally be able to build better than others. It is common throughout life. Painting music sport whatever. Dumbing down is silly.

One of the ideas behind kit scale as I understand it was to encourage people to enter and eventually move up a class.   
Now it seems to me that maybe this is not happening enough.  The transition though does not seem complicated or onerous.  Flying still counts. 

I have for example one of Mike Midkiff’s kits which is not “complete” but a kit it is and sold as such so it presumably qualifies for kit scale. The plan is detailed including showing the lozenge pattern for finishing and rigging for example so I presume all could be included for kit scale without loss of points - well in principle anyway. So provided I have some “documentation” I could have a bash at “Open” as well?

I must add that the above is not my own original thought but an assessment of what I feel is the situation from speaking to other people, reading comment and a bit of sense.   I am keen to understand things. 

On documentation I was told ages ago that this is the key - not complicated but unless you don’t mind burrowing might be better off getting the documentation together before going too far with your choice of model. Today getting information on virtually anything is monumentally easier than it was. So no excuses and so far as I know no points for something obscure? So could documentation be a deterrent - doubt it?
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 02:54:41 PM »

Thanks David.

On the subject of competitions -  I think we have to acknowledge that competition flying is not for everyone. For some modellers that just doesn't feature in the reasons they build and fly models and it didn't for me for quite some time.

I think encouraging spectators at scale events with attractions like fun flying particularly for scale models may help. I know that is often the case but not  many people seem to know that.  It's certainly the way I came into it, by spectating and even doing some trimming flying at the FF Nats... the next year I entered. I didn't come anywhere ( no surprises there) but what I did discover is the added reward of flying in competitions compared to just fun flying. The camaraderie amongst the fellow competitors with advice freely flowing makes the whole experience of flying scale FF models in competition, way more satisfying than flying alone

Anyway Sunday was a very good day , despite the forecast 10 mph which didn't materialise until much later in the day. Turn out was possibly 3x that of Saturday which hopefully pleased the traders and the Shuttleworth Collection.

I took some scale models this time but I spent so much time flying I've less pictures and by the time I went looking to take some the wind had increased many  had fled.

In light of the competition entry thoughts from David it's somewhat ironic that  the three models I did photograph today are all regular competitors

Pic 1 - Pete Fardell's lovely Blackburn Monoplane

Pic 2 - Andy Sephtons BE2c

Pic 3 - Micheal Smith's Supermarine ...er help me someone ..thingy

Pic 4 - Bonus picture - I nearly built one these as kid, I had a book that was my dad's that had plans for the MG Magnette tether car powered by a Mills 1.3. I got as far as making the patterns for the body before giving up due to lack of suitable running sites and an inability to make the spoked wheels like the one in the book

I have some video so I'll post that in a bit

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »

Chris, it's a Saunders Roe.
I always stop to watch the car bloke. He comes every year and spends all day at the concrete circle. Fascinating, and mad
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 05:18:52 PM »

Thanks Bill

There's a video here of the weekend's fun

https://youtu.be/w7awJ9crPNA
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »

Thanks for that Chris. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The DR1 and the Blackbourne flew well.

John
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 04:10:54 AM »

Enjoyed the video, Chris.  Smiley
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 04:43:03 AM »

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the time and effort you go to in posting Photos, Videos and reports it gives me great insight to your events.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 04:52:09 AM »

Thanks for the pics and that vid, Chris. I was pleased with the way the Blackburn flew. It seems happier outdoors than in. I videoed one of its other flights, which I won't post as it wasn't as nice as the one you got, but here's an atmospheric still from it.
I had a most enjoyable day. As well as flying the Blackburn a lot, I put my VMC SE5 in John Ashmole's scale Masefield contest. I realised its small span and biplane wings would scoop it a juicy 60% bonus (not enough though!)
Other pics...

Albatros is Pete Smart's (or possibly Chris Strachan's- they shared a turf patch). Not RC despite transmitter in shot.
Chris Strachan's Jackrabbit. Can't really tell on that photo but it's quite big. Maybe 30" span.
Pete Smart with his VMC Bird Dog, which he has converted to RC and it was flying very well (and high!)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 05:08:32 AM »

And away from the free flight field...

Lovely big RC Blackburn. I liked the scale drip tray under the engine and step ladder for the Edwardian gent.
1-1 scale Beech 18.S, parked near the gate. Nicely weathered.
Blackburn Beverley (I think?) beside the control line circle. They've got a real one up the road from me at Fort Paull. You can go inside it; magnificent beast.

Finally, the collection's Lysander undergoing a bit of maintenance. Just before I took this photo I caught the tail end of a conversation between an overalled Shuttleworth chap and an old lady he'd just been showing all around the aircraft. She had a photo of a Lysander in her hand and, judging from her accent, might have been French. She didn't look old enough to have been an actual WW2 spy or Resistance fighter, but I'm sure there was a story there. I wasn't quite nosy enough to ask I'm afraid.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 05:15:40 AM »

She didn't look old enough to have been an actual WW2 spy or Resistance fighter, but I'm sure there was a story there. I wasn't quite nosy enough to ask I'm afraid.
If she had been a spy, she wouldn't have told you.
Anyway, where was the Bristol Fighter? Couldn't see it anywhere, even the workshop
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 06:23:49 AM »

I think the Bristol Fighter is having a major rebuild so the fuselage is in the rear workshop which you cant see from the viewing area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: