Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2019, 07:16:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chasing models and snakes  (Read 486 times)
DWCollins
Bronze Member

Kudos: 11

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »

Has anyone ever heard a story of a FF modeler being bitten by a snake chasing a model?
I stepped on a quail wearing flip flops chasing a model and needless to say it was a surprise.
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:39:30 AM »

I think I would be sdurprised if I saw a quail wearing flip flops!!!!!!!
Ron
Howie911
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »

I seem to recall reading a few years back one of the competitors at Lost Hills (I think) was bitten by rattlesnake.  Believe he had name similar to Andrukov. 
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »

B. Jensen nearly stepped on a rattler towing a glider at Lost Hills. I encountered one between the flight line and the parking area at the Sierra Cup at LH several years ago. It was cruising along and many of the contestants walked over to get a good look at it. It disappeared into the brush after a bit. Between the rattlers and tarantulas Lost Hills has pretty cool fauna!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 12:11:55 PM »

I always wear boots, and snake guards on my legs.  Good also for walking thru briars as well.  Hey!  I grew up in Florida.

However, closest I came was a couple years ago walking along in the woods hunting.  Nearly stepped on a rattler that was as thick as my upper arm!
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 12:50:36 PM »

Soviet Power flier Eugene Verbitsky was bitten by a snake during a contest in what was then Soviet Armenia. This resulted in Igor Ziljberg proxy flying for him at the 1977 World Championships in Denmark. Ziljberg was a Wakefield flier, a Power flier, but he managed to place 3rd. (This is a condesened version from the very detailed coverage of that WC in Bill Hartel's book World Free Flight Review.

Louis
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 05:59:26 PM »

Being a longtime SoCal flyer, there have been many snake encounters. Here’s three.
The closest I got to getting bit- l went to retrieve a buddies RamRod 750. Took a while to get to it. Bent over to pick it up and found a Rattler resting in the shade of the wing! Another, a hot Lost Hills day, a baby Rattler is heading for the shade of my motor home. Normally I leave them alone, but no way was I going to let this guy sleep under my camper! I took my thermal pole and flipped him about 100 feet to an adjacent plowed field. That was one pissed off snake!
The worst experience and reply to DW’s query happened to Bob Milligan (Canadian, designer of the OT Wasp). This was at Taft. He was on his motorbike. A Rattler bit him on the leg, scared Bob and he fell off his bike, breaking his arm. He finally limped back to the flight line.  No cell phones back then. Poor Bob was never the same!

NormF
DWCollins
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 10:11:58 PM »

I was walking thru knee high grass yesterday and my mind wandered to rattle snakes, we have plenty of them here.
Wanted to see what others experiences were.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 12:16:02 PM »

Goes to show that snakebite is pretty rare. Thank goodness!  Rattlesnakes are around but encounters are pretty rare. I've hiked and ran through rattlesnake country for years and can count the number of encounters on one hand.  I'm an amatuer herpetologist and try to find snakes when I'm hiking. I've handled many snakes over the years. Hardly ever run into rattlesnakes. Personally I think many rattlesnake 'encounters' are actually gopher snakes. They will even shake their tail in the underbrush mimicking rattlers. I've found dead gophers snakes along trails which were probably killed by people thinking they were rattlers.

Of course watch where you place your feet in snake country! If you do encounter a rattler stay clear and appreciate how cool they are!  They don't want to have anything to do with you for sure.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
DWCollins
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 04:31:31 PM »

I too have owned and caught many snakes had a few rattlesnake encounters and a lot of cottonmouth encounters.
flydean1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 05:22:09 PM »

Derek,  The huge diamondback I nearly stepped on had it in high gear crawling for the high grass.  I was checking a deer stand and food plot, walking across the plot which was about 4 inch sprouts.  Should have seen the snake but was making notes on my iPad.  It started rattling and I looked down past the iPad and there it was, in high gear.  I launched myself and the iPad in the opposite direction.  Walked to my truck carefully in the middle of the plot.  Could hear the rattling nearly all the way back to the truck.

I have had several gopher snakes come around.  It's almost hilarious how they shake their tails, making no noise. 

DW, if you still live in N Florida near Mayo you are definitely in snake country.

I never go into the woods without my snap-on snake leggings.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 06:41:17 PM »

We had been in Palm Bay for about a week when we went over to a big nursery just to see what they had. I already knew we were in snake country. One the the guys had just killed this unlucky eastern Diamondback for getting too close to the foot path. This one had 13 rattles so I assume he was 13 years old. You don't get that old if you are a dumb rattler. This one just had a bad day. I tried to get the rattles but the guys at the nursery (mostly Haitians) use the rattles for aphrodisiacs... I prefer old Sophia Loren movies myself. At the current price of antivenom (if you don't have insurance) if you get bit, you might just as well die or be Trump because there just isn't enough money to pay the hospital bill you are gonna get. Here is a young gator crossing the road at a park not too far from my house. They'll kill you too. At least they are kind enough to kill you. Damn rattlers stick you with the bill and that kills you..... only later!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Chasing models and snakes

The Threadkiller!
flydean1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 08:07:38 PM »

I heard somewhere that some insurance plans don't cover snake bites due to the astronomical cost of the anti-venin.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »

re: Chasing models and snakes

DO NOT chase the snakes. ;-p
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »

From time to time I wear gaiters when I compete in outdoor contests.  They comprise sections of Kevlar fabric that zip around the ankles, calves and shins.  Based on the product description it is very difficult for rattlesnake fangs to penetrate the Kevlar fabric.  My gaiters were purchased from Amazon at a very reasonable price.
Buster11
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »

When Chobham Common was the mecca for free flight in southern Britain Jack North used to have a phial of adder anti-vennin in his fridge, as the sandy Common was certainly one of the adder's haunts, but it was never needed. I remember George Fuller found an adder cooling itself under the wing of a Dixielander as he picked it up after a long retrieve; apparently he gave it a poke with a wingtip and it slunk off (or some similar phrase used by George).
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 278

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 07:25:38 PM »

Ah..Chobham Common !!  So many memories, not least the adders sunning themselves; yes, the Croydon club  members had anti-bite material with  them at all times.

The 'Clump' ... several trees at top of hill to which models gravitated. Accordingly trees had 'ladders' of 6" nails on trunks to make recovery easier.     

Site was ex-military training ground. Where else  could you find a well worn trail up the Clump which diverged around an old Millsbomb half buried in the sandy soil.  Everyone knew it was there  ..  was never reported in my years of attendance.

Post only vaguely related to models and snakes - apologies - but memories of great days in the dim past.......  :-)
flydean1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »

Calgoddard,

What did they call them on Amazon?

I want to upgrade mine.  No ankle or upper foot protection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: