Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2019, 09:32:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SO Elastic Launched Glider 2020  (Read 675 times)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2019, 09:15:37 PM »

Draft rules are making their rounds...I'll let others share the details since I have enough of a target on my back already. In the meantime I'm going to get the ball rolling a different way by showing some cool tech from the 2019 contest cycle. Eric Lim and his teammate Kaylyn scored 6th place for their school's first trip ever to the Nationals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxQScQ2OKdw

For those wondering, I've already prototyped out two designs, one being a duplex design that builds as either a conventional model or a canard with no changes in dihedral, etc, just where you locate the parts. Both configurations fly well. The Super Protege Canard is going to be another matter. Excellent performance, evil to trim.
bjt4888
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »

Josh,

Interested in seeing your canard concept. I designed one back in 2013 (I think) which was the last time SO had the canard bonus. Flew pretty well, but not good enough to make it competitive with conventional flappers.

Brian T
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 09:26:18 PM »

Josh,

Interested in seeing your canard concept. I designed one back in 2013 (I think) which was the last time SO had the canard bonus. Flew pretty well, but not good enough to make it competitive with conventional flappers.

Brian T

Here's the relevant details on the Protege page (excuse the older demo/flying material...just haven't gotten the new stuff uploaded because we have an internet connection that makes dial up look fast).
http://jhaerospace.com/product/protege-science-olympiad-glider-2018-2019-season/

Here, however, is some flight footage of some more of my 2020 SO designs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Faqs-b_UQ

Little-Acorn
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »

Draft rules are making their rounds...I'll let others share the details

"Others", please share the details! Inquiring minds want to know!  Smiley

Boilerplate: I know that SO takes a dim view of people posting a copy of the actual rules. And I know that anything in "Draft rules" may change before things are made final, and that what I see today might not be the rules in effect when contests roll around.

Is it OK for someone to post a link to the Science Olympiad site that has a copy of the rules, either draft or final? Either Div. B or Div.C is fine, I'll take anything I can get.

Or, can somebody who has access to the rules, either draft or final, for either division, for 2020, post a quickie summary of them that doesn't violate anybody's copyright or whatever?

Feel free to include all the disclaimers, caveats, and CYAs needed.

(sigh) I miss the days (and events) when you just had to ask, "What are the rules for this year?", without having to hire a law firm.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 11:55:02 AM »

Sorry but I've been sworn to secrecy. All I will say is that they've managed to come up with the most ridiculous rules that I've seen so far.
Little-Acorn
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 02:05:18 PM »

Sorry but I've been sworn to secrecy. All I will say is that they've managed to come up with the most ridiculous rules that I've seen so far.
No problem, OlBill, I sympathize.

After combing thru SO websites, I finally found a line on the SO main website (scroll way down, it's on the right) saying that the 2020 rules would be "available for free" from the store on Sept. 3, 2019.

So I guess we're SOL until then, at which time all will be revealed.
ceandra
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »

Bill:

From what I have heard, I agree! Even worse than dime payloads!

Sure am enjoying having the kids build F1D and LPP! At least the rules make sense!

Chuck
torqueburner
Copper Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 08:39:24 AM »

After combing thru SO websites, I finally found a line on the SO main website (scroll way down, it's on the right) saying that the 2020 rules would be "available for free" from the store on Sept. 3, 2019.

So I guess we're SOL until then, at which time all will be revealed.

Rule summary is posted in "SO Wright Stuff 2020". 
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »

I couldn't get past the contact info screen to d/l the rules. Can someone post a summary of the Division B rules?
ILM Tarheel
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »

Bill,
Go to https://store.soinc.org/us/page/Welcome

Just below WELCOME click on "Digital Rule Manuals For 2020"

Read the terms of service and fill out the little form.

Hit "Submit" and links to both Div B and Div C rule books in pdf will come up.

Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »

I've done that. Didn't work for me.
ILM Tarheel
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 12:42:12 PM »

Bill, I'll send you a private message - check your messages.

Jimmy J
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 02:10:21 PM »

Thanks! It's probably my security settings that are the culprit.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »

I got the Protege and Protege Canard designs done as well as a conventional-only Super Protege. Flight times for both in conventional form are 20-22 seconds under a 22' ceiling, not bad. The canard models are extremely difficult to trim and don't launch reliably (easily caught on the catapult). My gut is saying that even if you get a canard to fly competitively, it'll still be too unreliable to be competitive. A shame because I got a Super Protege Canard to do right around 30 seconds from a 30' launch. Pretty incredible stuff, but the thing is just too darned finnicky.
Iridescent Wings
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 06:43:57 PM »

I agree, my Canard Protege is really hard to trim. I'm thinking about using the flaps as ailerons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: