Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 06:02:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 48" Cessna Bird dog  (Read 221 times)
bbdave
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2019, 05:57:25 PM »

I have decided to build an rc electric power trainer having only flown gliders before I thought a semi scale bird dog would suit.
I have bought the short kit from Sarik hobbies and just received an order from Balsa cabin so here goes my first power build first off the centre section.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
48" Cessna Bird dog
48" Cessna Bird dog
48" Cessna Bird dog
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 06:57:33 PM »

Don't know what the sales page says, but scale models are rarely good trainers. With that out of the way, if you know your left from right and you know it coming and going away you are half way home to being able to fly just about any RC aircraft.  The next skill you need before taking on a scale ship is understanding the stall. I assume you know how to keep the glider from zooming back up into a deeper stall when you recover from the first stall. I also assume you know about ground effect and how it impacts on your glide slope during landings.

If the answer is "No" to any of these I think it might be best to start with a dedicated primary trainer rather than a scale ship. The real problem with scale ship as trainers is that they are often much more difficult to repair than a basic trainer.

But your Bird Dog looks like is would be a good second ship. As you have some time on gliders you might not be too far out of line with this as your entry into powered scale flight.

Please do give yourself a strong look with regard to your flying skills before trying to fly these scale ships. I also find that the help of a skilled flier will help with the maiden flight before the model is well trimmed.

Good luck,
And all the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 05:44:18 PM »

I go with that as I learnt to fly on a Piper Super Cruiser.  I was pig headed and did not listen to sound advice.  I did however master it all but largely due to the patience of my instructor on the buddy box.  I think it took longer than had I used a trainer but my view is that I learnt things in one stride rather than going up the steps one at a time.   So have a go Dave - only advice I would give is build it as light as you can without losing to much strength so you can fly slowly. .  My Piper was 60ins span by the way - some smaller models can be twitchy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: