Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 17, 2019, 11:39:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wanted: Vern Clements Culver Cadet plan  (Read 260 times)
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2019, 10:24:55 PM »

Vern Clements did a 1/12 scale FF plan of Culver Cadet for  TD .020 power. Saw a copy years ago and always wanted one.  I don't need an original, but a barely legible  Zerox would be awesome. Anyone got a line on one?

I would pay copy costs, S&H and postage or could trade my Zerox copy of Vern's Hall Springfield "Bulldog" racer scale drawing, also rendered at 1/12 scale , plus the cost of a mailing tube???

Also, anyone know of a decent 3-viw for same aircraft?

PM please!

TIA
charlie
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 06:53:03 PM »

This one?

Kindly sent to me by Al Backstrom many years ago. The gear is cut off but i believe this is the best highest res copy Al had.

The other image is the best three view i could cobble together if it’s any use.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Wanted: Vern Clements Culver Cadet plan
charlieman
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:07:44 AM »

I think you may have done it. I don't recall any of the  photo images printed on the plan, BUT do clearly  remember the Tee Dee .020 outline. Too bad about the wheels getting clipped and it seems the title block got trimmed as well.  Even if it were not Vern's plan, I'd be proud to own a copy of that!
Thanks for that AND the 3-view!!!!

BTW- can I save your download and print it full size from the thumbnail? I'm an old guy who still  hasn't quite mastered computer stuff... How do I get Clement's large format Hall racer drawing into a similar format???  I like the idea of published images via internet, great for ease of exchange, etc. but for model work and just looking at, I prefer paper.
Again, many thanks!!!

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »

Check out

Culvercadet.com

Manuals and other tech data that show structural details

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
charlieman
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 05:39:22 PM »

Again, many thanks to Graham and Indoor!

Did as latter suggested and visited culvercadet.com

WOW! thru that site,
I actually found the guy who loaned me his copy, so many years ago. I should have made a copy,  then,  but it was a blue line print, which doesn't do so well at reproduction using the same contact diazo process. Still, in 1975, there were those first generation copy machines that produced white line on dark sepia back ground, at local libraries. Guess I  could/should have "tiled it" and I simply didn't think of it.  But, there-in, hangs a strange but true  story, with a couple of odd co-inki-dinks, and interesting twists and turns.  It involves a runaway Porshe, an accusation of vandalism, an actual Jungmiester. Also both a model Cadet and a full scale Cadet. Will relate, if anyone is interested.

There was also an advert for Vern's plans/products and some comment about how accurate his imagery was/is felt to be among full size Cadet fans.  Just judging from Graham's input, it appears to be very accurate. Everything seems to be in right place and proportion.
Although I'm primarily interest in FF scale , at this juncture, it also occurs to me this design could easily be adapted to CL scale, with a Babe Bee.049 for power and possibly retracts! I've been looking for the perfect airframe candidate for 1/2A CL scale. This may be it.

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 06:31:20 PM »

Charlie, the Dave Rees plan is in the Forum Plan Gallery. There's also some 3- views posted by Ratz. Just put Culver in the gallery search "box" and it should bring these up, along with some other Culver variants.  Drawing a blank right now, but I'm thinking of the tri gear model with "cranked" outer wing panels.  Also, if you are googling around, don't forget about the Helton Lark. (Short-lived production of a trigear Cadet.)
Always liked the little Cadet; sure is a pretty little plane!

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 129

Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »

The Vern Clements Culver Cadet plan is available from AMA for $12 US. (plus shipping I would assume)

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »

The crank wing trike is the Culver V. The Berkeley plan looks accurate:

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=244

However, i can do a 3-view.....!

A trike version of the Cadet (PQ-8A) with an enlarged rudder was developed as a radio controlled target aircraft, leading to the PQ-14 with a much higher A/R wing.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
ChrisH
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »

There is a Culver Cadet 3-view in the FAC News back issues Number 168

http://www.flyingacesclub.com/Newsletters/issue168.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print