Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 17, 2019, 11:21:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wheel retainers  (Read 166 times)
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2019, 08:52:16 AM »

Greetings

I'm looking for a better wheel retainer for peanut scale models.  Currently, I wrap a few winds of silver or black thread around the axle wire then carefully fix with thin CA.  Perhaps there are other, better methods of keeping wheels on?

Larry R.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »

I find a piece of insulated wire the same or slightly smaller in dia than the axle, strip off a small piece of insulation and push that onto the axle and trim excess with a knife. Dang near invisible!

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:50:12 AM »

I use insulation off electrical wire slightly smaller than the axle diameter, similar to Dan above.  Put in in cellulose thinners for 5 - 10 minutes.  It swells and can be easily slid onto the axle.  Allow it to dry and it shrinks itself onto the axle, goes hard again and holds very well.  Very light - fit and forget.
raggedflyer
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »

Shrink about 10mm of heat-shrink tube onto wire (or carbon fibre) of the intended axle diameter. Remove and slice into narrow (1mm long) tubes and fit onto axle. I use this method on 1mm CF with no problems.
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »

Thanks, guys.  I think the wire insulation, or heat shrink tubing, sound like just the thing.

Larry R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: