Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2019, 09:26:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guillow's Non-scale Models  (Read 306 times)
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:01:48 AM »

I've recently become interested in Guillow's non-scale or semi-scale models.  Various modelers have built these with some success, enough success that a modeler may have built the Javelin, for example, several times.  I don't have a local hobby store, so I'm thinking hard about ordering directly from Guillow's.  Shipping costs are high (no fault of Guillow's), so it would be more cost efficient to order a few of these kits to spread out the shipping cost.  But which kit(s) should I order?

I'd like input from fellow modelers who have built and flown these models.  In terms of the building experience and flight performance, which of these kits rates highest and are recommended?
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:33:41 PM »

The Guillow Arrow is the model you want. I haven't built the newer laser cut arrow, but the die crushed ones were still easy to build. If building the Javelin, Lancer or the Arrow you might want to sand the airfoils to bring the high point back to around the 35% to 40% chord point on the wing. But stock these are fine fun ships to fly. Oh, don't move the rear motor peg aft. The penalty for the longer motor in more nose weight. It is a loosing proposition.

A surprise build and flier is the 25" Fairchild 24. She will out fly the Javelin and Lancer.

This is my on line source
https://www.acsupplyco.com/aerospace/guillows/guillowsmain.htm

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »

Grin  the FLYBOY is comet's cloudbuster and was one of the first planes i actually got to make crazy good flights. easy to build and trim.

jim Grin Grin
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 12:58:41 PM »

Konrad....thanks for the referral to AC Supply.  Their prices are the best I've seen.
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 01:20:28 PM »

Do make note of the S&H charges, but yes they are where I'll spend $100 on Guillow products.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 04:47:49 PM »

Long ago, with very little stick and tissue experience, I built and flew a Javelin. The only mods were leaving off the landing gear and using a slightly bigger prop. As I recall, it was good for about a minute, despite the oak masquerading as balsa and the thick airfoil. I've seen the Fairchild 24 fly well, but my guess would be that the Flyboy might be the best flier. That's just by looking at the plans, though. I should mention that I've heard Guillows is using lighter wood these days. And the Flyboy probably doesn't have an excessive amount of wood in it, the way some of the older designs do.

Are you sure you don't want to build some other company's Embryo or P-30? You could check out Easy Built, or Volare Products, or Pecks. Pecks Prairie Bird is an old classic.  Pecks now has the Golden Age line. The Golden Age kits are printwood, though, so you have to cut out a lot of parts yourself. The Pacific Ace is popular in our free flight club, especially the smaller one. I have the Easy Built kit for the Ritz. Seems like a nice kit, and I'm guessing it will fly quite well.

You can find some other companies here:
http://flyingacesclub.com/wp/links/
Don't forget the plans section.

While you're waiting for your order to come in, you might consider a Pussycat. I think I built mine in 4 hours, though I was in a hurry. An excellent flyer for such a simple little thing.
https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=4914&mode=search

Some other simple model plans, including more by Dick Baxter, designer of the Pussycat:
http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/plans/plans.html

So many designs. So little time!

You might check out the Mooney Bostonian designs here on Hip Pocket. Maybe someone's even kitting them.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 11:15:35 PM »

The Arrow gets my vote but the vote won't register. Don't know why.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: