Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 17, 2019, 10:43:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chrome liner re-bore  (Read 76 times)
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2019, 03:18:41 PM »

I read somewhere recently that chromed liners are not really suitable for re-boring.  Possibly due to thiness of chrome?
My experience would tend to support this. 
Any experience out there?
Thanks
Ff aka jc
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 03:46:53 PM »

No experience, but you can apply some logic: a "chrome" liner is brass or aluminum that's been plated with chromium.  Plating is thin.

So on the first pass of your boring tool you take away all the chrome, and you're left with the underlying sleeve material

If you were going to renew an ABC or AAC liner, there'd need to be a step in there where it goes off to the plating shop to be re-chromed.  This is the point where I say "OK, time to switch to electric", or at least "dangit, I'll just buy a new piston & liner".  But if you're really intrepid you could try to find a plating shop.
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »

We need a bit more detail as to what you are asking. But there is no reason you can't bore out a cylinder. Now I assume you are talking about a model airplane cylinder with its insert liner. These do have a practical limit set by the wall thickness of the liner. We are talking about the stability of the liner.  

Are you looking at steel liners, brass or aluminum?

You never want to deposit more than 0.3mm layer of real hard chrome on to a surface. Internal stresses tend to want to pull the plating off the surface of the parent material. You will want to deposit enough chrome to allow the finish grinding of the liner to be on size with about 0.16 max thickness of chrome for most wear surfaces.

Yes I have a lot of experience with this as I would often replate my FAI F3D Pylon engines. Please note that any deposited chrome plating will need to be ground to size as chrome does NOT deposit evenly on the surface. Please don't confuse real chrome plating with what is often passed on as chrome when it is in fact electroless nickel plate.

Friends don't let friend fly nickel,
Konrad
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:09:43 PM by Konrad » Logged

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: