Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2019, 10:32:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Indoor freeflight with micro RC at Alfreton Leisure Centre 2019/20 dates  (Read 878 times)
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2019, 03:56:28 PM »

I'm not one to start thinking about Xmas straight after the summer holidays but... here is advanced notice of the scheduled dates for our indoor lightweight flying sessions, which do happen to span the year end. (The shock flier oriented sessions will continue on interleaving dates, please see BMFA News if interested.)

We expect to operate the same format as previous seasons but it all remains fairly informal. March and April dates will be scheduled once I can be sure of avoiding the nationals dates. I've avoided as many Derby County and West Brom home games as possible - any other team supporters please make yourselves known (anonymity will only partially be guaranteed).

Hope to see old faces and new, please pass the word around as you see fit.
Thanks
Nigel

Oct 5th
Nov 16th
Dec 7th
Jan 11th
Feb 8th
Feb 29th
March ??
April ??

Church Street, Town Centre, Alfreton DE55 7BD. That's North-East Derbyshire, 5 mins from M1/A38 junction.

Please circulate and invite anyone you think might have similar interests. All meetings will be 2-5.00pm, all are Saturdays, £10 per flyer, accompanied juniors and spectators free, BMFA insurance mandatory (new flyers please bring your membership card). Please circulate the information to anyone you know who might be interested. By all means bring stuff to sell if you wish. Modern leisure centre, LED lighting, nice café, good parking, it's even heated!

The following is my guidance on what is invited but please get in touch if you have an idea or question. Basically it is intended for free-flight with a concession to ultra-light RC flown in a suitable manner that is likely to be mixable with stick and tissue models. It is aimed at traditional aeromodelling without being shy of modern developments like foam or carbon. We will operate slots if necessary.

"Fixed wing, free-flight and ultra-light RC, no drones, helis or solid foam RTFs" 

So, more or less any free-flight balsa model, scale or otherwise should be ok, rubber, CO2 or brushed-electric. Free-flight models tend to be self-regulating with respect to weight or size due to the hall limits. The hall is 30m x 37m x 9.5m high.

For RC models, coil actuator models, DelTang based, Vapor boards, etc. in self-built models (from plan or kit) should be ok provided they are flown appropriately. The only pre-fabricated models likely to be acceptable are the Vapor range plus the Fireland/Ares range. Plantraco if anyone has any. Micro-Aces should be ok provided flown slowly (if that's possible).

What is not allowed:
•No brushless motors or separate servo models.
•No solid foam models. No Ember, 4-Sight, Extra.
•No RC rotors
These are well catered for at our other meetings where shockies have free reign (within time slots).
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 06:29:34 PM »

Excellent Nigel!

I'll try and make more than 2 this time...

Cheers,

Dan.
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 04:07:21 AM »

Thanks - and we'll make sure to line the walls for test flights this time...  Wink
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 05:20:46 AM »

Thanks for those dates, Nigel. I too will try and make a few of them. The October one is potentially an early Nijmegen trimming session.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 06:28:20 AM »

Thanks for the dates, Nigel .... it's a nice venue that I wish I could get to more often.
john bowerman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 01:12:43 PM »

Thanks Nigel,
All the dates entered in the diary, I really enjoyed the venue last year so looking forward to this years dates.
Regards
John
Merlinboy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 05:41:04 AM »

Thanks for accommodating the Baggies home games for me Nigel Wink

Dates are in my diary and I look forward to seeing you there.

Regards,

Paul
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 04:29:02 PM »

Thanks all, apologies for slow response, apparently I was on holiday last week  Huh Serious depletion of modelling funds if you ask me...  Grin  Cheesy
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 04:22:01 AM »

Gentle bump for next Saturday 5th, our season opener. Hope to see some of you there. Wonder how deep my models are buried in the garage.

Smiley
Nigel
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 04:19:30 AM »

After missing the last Old Warden meeting and Oxford today, I'm about ready for the indoor season ... hopefully I can make the trip. Just need something to fly ....
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 04:02:32 AM »

How about a Cloud Tramp? Even I built one in a week  Grin  70% scale though, full size would go through the roof.

Needs to be scale? How about borrowing a well-known idea and building a Tripe-Tramp? Might catch on. Mine would be a Dr1-Tramp or a Pitts-Tramp.

Nigel
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 04:24:59 AM »

Nigel .... I'm completely out of touch with the concept of building something in a week!  Grin
I was thinking scale.
I'm converting my Sopwith Triplane to electric .... I ripped the wings off my SE5 last week and I'm going for a complete overhaul with it. Etc.
I bet it will be a tatty old Bostonian and a Malmstrom Hanriot at this rate!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:04:10 AM by FreeFlightModeller » Logged
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »

If I make it to the meeting, I have been carrying around a pile of 2mm depron approx. 400 x 300 x 2mm if anyone is interested. Sold at cost price.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »

I'll be up for some, Russ. Great stuff for laminating templates and a thousand other things...

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »

I assume it lasts forever? I bought a stack of 6mm, 3mm and 2mm direct from an under floor heating company ... early days of depron modelling. Got it at a good price ... a bit variable quality on some of the 2mm, but great for jigs etc.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 06:52:13 PM »

I enjoyed building depron models at one time, but balsa won out again in time.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Indoor freeflight with micro RC at Alfreton Leisure Centre 2019/20 dates
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 06:58:38 AM »

Hmmm... Depron Cloud Tramp? I bet you could do it, even with 4 days remaining  Smiley That one week of building was at the beginning of last season and the last thing I built, so you could class it as a one year build...  Embarrassed

I'm sure there will be plenty of takers with it being so scarce now. I still have a box of my late father's Depron scale models from those early days. Very quick to knock up a facsimile and much nicer than wall paper foam. I probably still have a Depron shockie kit somewhere, too.

Yes, I believe it will last pretty much forever, something of a problem from an environmental perspective actually.
Anyways, hope to see y'all there.
Nigel
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »

Sorry Nigel ... missed this.

Really enjoyed the meeting today ... first time "up in the rafters" for a while ... albeit the climb being a little steep with the Malmstrom Hanriot.
Good to see Dan's Scram flying inside just as well as I have seen it fly outside.
Thanks for letting me fly the carbon Butterfly ... satisfying models to fly  Smiley
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 03:37:05 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's session. Didn't smash anything, either!

Thanks Nigel.

Dan.
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 06:21:30 AM »

Cheers Russ, Dan, thanks for attending the meeting. It was slightly quiet but entertaining. I think I flew pretty much my whole garage full of (last season's) indoor models  Cheesy

For anyone in need of a trimming hall pre-Nijmegen, there is another Alfreton booking in the calendar on 19th October. However this is a "shockie with lightweight slots" meeting so you would need two things - a strong box to shelter your model and patience to wait between slots. 15 minutes each way so potentially 12 trimming flights. I will be there and will be able to clear the sky for half a minute plus corral some wall guards where required. To be fair, the hall probably suits Walnut and smaller, or pre-trimmed models, and most kit-scale. (Lots of help available for any budding indoor scale radio flyers, mode 1 and 2.)

Getting off topic. Lot's of imperfections in the idea but the opportunity is there. Please PM me if possible so I can prep the organiser. Same arrangements for meeting timing, parking, superb café, heat, on site swimming pool, gym, bowls, etc.

thanks
Nigel
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 06:28:08 AM »

I'm definitely making it to the Nov.16th date. Hopefully with a couple of new models. With one exception; everything I flew yesterday was at least six years old!

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 07:50:54 AM »

A very weird journey saw me home at 8.30pm ... A50 and M1 closed with the only conceivable way out being the roadworks over Swarkestone bridge! Add Derby County football and Superbikes into that and it became the "perfect storm"!
Nice meal at the Swarkestone bridge pub watching the traffic.

The hall might be a little smaller than some, but it's more than adequate for all but the larger scale models. Probably will not be able to make all but the odd meeting, but I wish I could!
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 04:35:45 AM »

Bump for this Saturday's meeting at Alfreton, usual arrangements. All welcome.
Nigel
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 05:10:35 AM »

I hope that you have a good turnout ... can't make this one unfortunately.
Merlinboy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 05:52:09 AM »

I’ll be there Nigel for my first ever visit!  Grin

Looking forward to attending!

Paul
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: