Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 17, 2019, 10:34:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guillow's Eagle, Jetfire, Starfire, Catapult Glider  (Read 164 times)
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »

Greetings,

This topic may have been covered before.  If so, feel free to point me to a previous thread.

Generally, it's pretty easy to get a hold of one of these Guillow's gliders.  Granted, in their stock, out of the package build, they may  not be terrific performers, however with modification their flight characteristics might be significantly improved.  I'm thinking in terms of tapering the fuselage, thinning the leading and trailing edges of the wing and tail surfaces, and creating a notch for a rubber band launcher if one isn't there already.  I'm not trying to create a CLG that will go OOS, but just something quick and dirty that will have a bit of WOW factor in the eyes of a young lad.

Larry R.

kiteshark
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »

This might have something that could interest you https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1264&v=X8IaZwuHqxU .  It's mods for a Guillow's Jetfire.

I sure want to try it!

Dave
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »

For a typical glider of this sort,  recommend more dihedral and moving the cg back. Depending on how much dihedral there is, a smaller vertical stab may help.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:56:54 PM »

I did a few variations on an eagle kit and posted them on the S&T site. Build thread here: https://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1529906684/13#13
Scroll to the bottom to see the glider modifications. The rest of the thread is using the wood to make something 'completely different'.

ian
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 06:15:35 PM »

I have one and will do as you see he did on the u tube.
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:06:22 PM »

This might have something that could interest you https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1264&v=X8IaZwuHqxU .  It's mods for a Guillow's Jetfire.

I sure want to try it!

Dave

Wow!  This video shows the sort of mods I had in mind for the Jetfire.  BTW, I bought two in a box at a craft store (Hobby Lobby) for something like $5.99.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: