Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2019, 09:36:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guillow's Eagle, Jetfire, Starfire, Catapult Glider  (Read 392 times)
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »

Greetings,

This topic may have been covered before.  If so, feel free to point me to a previous thread.

Generally, it's pretty easy to get a hold of one of these Guillow's gliders.  Granted, in their stock, out of the package build, they may  not be terrific performers, however with modification their flight characteristics might be significantly improved.  I'm thinking in terms of tapering the fuselage, thinning the leading and trailing edges of the wing and tail surfaces, and creating a notch for a rubber band launcher if one isn't there already.  I'm not trying to create a CLG that will go OOS, but just something quick and dirty that will have a bit of WOW factor in the eyes of a young lad.

Larry R.

kiteshark
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »

This might have something that could interest you https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1264&v=X8IaZwuHqxU .  It's mods for a Guillow's Jetfire.

I sure want to try it!

Dave
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »

For a typical glider of this sort,  recommend more dihedral and moving the cg back. Depending on how much dihedral there is, a smaller vertical stab may help.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:56:54 PM »

I did a few variations on an eagle kit and posted them on the S&T site. Build thread here: https://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1529906684/13#13
Scroll to the bottom to see the glider modifications. The rest of the thread is using the wood to make something 'completely different'.

ian
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 06:15:35 PM »

I have one and will do as you see he did on the u tube.
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:06:22 PM »

This might have something that could interest you https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1264&v=X8IaZwuHqxU .  It's mods for a Guillow's Jetfire.

I sure want to try it!

Dave

Wow!  This video shows the sort of mods I had in mind for the Jetfire.  BTW, I bought two in a box at a craft store (Hobby Lobby) for something like $5.99.
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 04:04:59 PM »

I'm hoping I'm successful in posting this photo of my Jetfire modded for catapult launch.  The mods, per the excellent video (above) took perhaps fifteen minutes or so.  Now waiting for the wind to die down a bit to try some glides. 

Weight out of the package was 8.0 grams (although I absentmindedly included in this the small amount of balsa on the kit sheet that held the die cut tail pieces and the pilot).  The Jetfire's assembled and modded weight came out as 7.5 grams.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Guillow's Eagle, Jetfire, Starfire, Catapult Glider
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 11:44:32 AM »

After two weeks of windy weather, I finally had a chance to test out the modified Guillow's Jetfire glider.  With the wing set midway along it's fuselage slot, a hand toss showed the Jetfire had a nice, flat glide path.  Next was a full on catapult launch.  My launcher was a piece of half inch dowel with a slot cut into one end into which I fixed a nine inch loop of 1/4" rubber.

In back of my shop I have a half acre of clear space.   There was a slight breeze, not enough, I judged, to matter.  At full a stretch of the rubber, the Jetfire canted about thirty degrees to the left, I let her go.  Steep climb with a roll out at the top.  It settled into a pretty flat glide....past my shop and right into the top of a tall tree.  Luckily, in the shop I have a second Jetfire (comes two in a box) which I immediately took ten minutes to modify.

Next flights will be at the local high school football field.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 03:29:21 AM »

Larry try cutting the fin down  a bit more as it helps the transition to the glide. Hope you are still having fun.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: