Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 03, 2020, 10:11:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SABRE Ducted Fan build.  (Read 1102 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2009, 01:40:09 AM »

Was not sure where to put this......But here goes in the FF Vintage Power section.

VERON SABRE Ducted Fan model from 1952 by Phil Smith.
Originally used small diesels that gave very underpowered flight, but using a COX .049 in these things makes them really fly as some may remember seeing the vid of my LAVOCHKIN.

The ducts are firstly formed, the formers added then the spine. Top and bottom vary on SABRE, as being low wing the tongues are built into the bottom then stringers are added, the duct fuel proofed then top and bottom glued together.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
SABRE Ducted Fan build.
SABRE Ducted Fan build.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 01:43:20 AM »

COX TD in place on the ply mount.
A VERON fan is being used that I picked up a couple of years ago.
Re: SABRE Ducted Fan build.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 01:46:47 AM »

Wings are a simple build, but some care to be taken with the wing tongues being accurate.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:51:14 AM »

Tailplane/stab are also an easy build and once covered are glued together.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 02:03:29 AM »

I've been slowly working on it over the past couple of months, and got it covered last week.....Esaki Lite on wings and tail, some very old white Silkspan Heavy I had from the early 70s,as it goes around compound curves when moist, 3 or 4 coats of thin dope and a blow over with a silver rattle can.

I added a little trim to make it look a bit like the real SABRE just restored here at the TEMORA aircraft museum. I did see this one some years ago in a million pieces.

It's 32in span and weighs 280 grams or a little under 10 ounces ready to fly.
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 72

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »

That is a fine build gossie, and it can stay in this section as it is old style and fits this category just fine even if it is a jet. If you had used current day ducted fan technology then I would have moved it to another section but that is one good looking fan that you have there, did you have to assemble it?

Cheers

Sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »

No, I never had to assemble the fan it's self. It's a Veron one from the UK.

The very original fans that came with the kits about 55 years ago were aluminium that you bent to get the pitch into them... low power engines like .5cc low pitch and higher power like a .75 a little more pitch.

After time the aluminium could or would crystalise and a blade may or would come off and perhaps hit you in the head or eye, so the type of fan as you see was made and supplied with later kits.

They were 3in. dia., but when I built the Lavochkin I could not find one so built my own in 3in dia. that worked well, and later on I did pick up a 3.5in dia. 12 bladed one I think made for 1.5cc engines.

I squeezed out the width of the inner fuselage of the Sabre and trimmed 1/8th of an inch off each of the blades so it all fitted. As a Tee Dee.051 has plenty of power it will I'm sure be plenty strong enough to turn it fast enough for flight.

You may notice the TeeDee looks like an .049 with the black front on it, but the original red front as per the .051 was was damaged and replaced with all I could find, being the black plastic front.
BlueBaron
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »

That's beautiful Gossie. Do you have any video of it in flight mate? Grin
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »

I'm yet to fly it to tell the truth.

As you can see I built it a fair while ago but could never get the TeeDee.049 running in it.  I changed the motor over to an .051 that's in a Mini Weaver, so I know it goes, but that would not start either with a flick of the impeller or with a spring start I made up for it, so I just put it aside.

A couple of months ago I did a swap with a guy in Texas for a couple of spring start Cox Babe Bees for a .75cc DC Merlin diesel he wanted to add to his collection of diesels. Recently I pulled the TD out and put it back into the Mini Weaver and glued in a radial mount to take the Babe Bee in the Sabre.

Only 2 weeks ago I got around to fueling it up and firing it up here at home....... so it goes and goes well, and if and when the weather here clears I shall give it a go. By the way, it's been raining here most days since September. I did go to the field I fly on 3 weeks ago to have a fly of a couple of rubber models and it was so wet I just about sank. LOL.

So that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, but I will report when it's all go. Smiley
Bulldogger
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »

Hey Gossie, did she ever fly?  Looks great.  Very nice and clean build.
Bulldogger
BlueBaron
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 10:46:24 AM »

Please try and post video when you get it going. Thanks  Smiley
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »

Sorry, no video, but it flies okay.   The impeller I made has a very high pitch, so the model needs a big shove to get it going, so I intend to make a finer pitch one that should help.......I think?Huh
BlueBaron
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »

Glad to hear it Gossie. What did you cover the model with? Did you change the plan any? Thanks, Mike  Smiley
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »

Glad to hear it Gossie. What did you cover the model with? Did you change the plan any? Thanks, Mike  Smiley

It's covered with about the last of the white English Modelspan that I had, doped then painted silver.

The only change I did to the plan was as I did on the Lavochkin was to cheat a little from the plan and make the stab. a tad bigger and make the fin thick using ribs......I just feel that helps stability.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 08:20:09 PM »

Howard-sitting in a desk drawer at home are the last two fans ever made by Phil Smith-still to be assembled-he sent them to me in 'kit' form around '99 or 2000. As well I have the Lavochkin and Sabre plans-so I will be joining the DF club eventually. A couple of points on your starting issues-consider a spring starter (yes Cox Int'l offer one for the TD/Med FR 049s) or as an alternative-get a 1/2A starter and fit it with a suitable piece of hex to fit a 5-40 allen head prop screw, and poke it down the fuselage for starting-if you make it 'ball ended' [like the allen keys] it will disengage fairly easily [assuming that the engine starting doesn't kick it loose anyway]

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: