Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2020, 06:36:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wing Dihedral Jig Prototype  (Read 677 times)
Smithy64
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »

I made a pair of wing dihedral jigs today, well prototypes, to see if they will work and then how I could improve on them.  They should work as far as I can see but I can improve on the wing tip support, I may just add a thin piece of metal to hold the wing instead of the wooden foot and possibly have an upper piece above it so the wing tip is supported on top as well as underneath.  A simple design but I don’t think it needs anymore just to hold for glueing, simple to clamp on the building board and told in place.

Neil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Wing Dihedral Jig Prototype
Buster11
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 04:46:26 PM »

I used to find a suitable pile of magazines worked pretty well.
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »

I used to find a suitable pile of magazines worked pretty well.

I just like making stuff  Grin

Neil
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »

The only suggestion I have to make is making a set of interchangeable supports of varying length for the wingtip to cope with different wing chords....if you do that it allows you to put a shim in  at the rear-where the TE would locate, to accommodate any required washout-(either equal or differential depending on the design requirements)-should the wing being built require it.....likewise if a polyhedral wing-any required washin in the RH inner could also be accommodated with a shim at the front of said support....only normally an issue for FF power duration models and some bigger rubber models...RC types generally get away with washout only.....and C/L types won't have a bar of it..;-)

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 07:00:35 PM »

The only suggestion I have to make is making a set of interchangeable supports of varying length for the wingtip to cope with different wing chords....if you do that it allows you to put a shim in  at the rear-where the TE would locate, to accommodate any required washout-(either equal or differential depending on the design requirements)-should the wing being built require it.....likewise if a polyhedral wing-any required washin in the RH inner could also be accommodated with a shim at the front of said support....only normally an issue for FF power duration models and some bigger rubber models...RC types generally get away with washout only.....and C/L types won't have a bar of it..;-)

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'

I did think of putting some kind of foam similar to that used inside an aluminium camera case to hold the wing tip and accommodate the wing camber shape. I don’t have the experience to make a completely informed design but I thought it would at least perform the basic function.

Neil
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »

I grab whatever long skinny trash is on the workbench or in my "little bits -o- balsa" bin and prop up the wingtips.  Pencils, dowels, leftover spar stock for a larger plane, etc., are all fair game.  Gross setting is done by selection of the size of the item, fine setting is done by sliding it toward or away from the wing chord.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 08:49:09 PM »

An oil drum and a barstool are just some of the precision tools necessary in the construction of a full size homebuilt airplane.
(from the Feb 1965 issue of Sport Aviation)   Aircraft is the Long "Cloudhawk"
Re: Wing Dihedral Jig Prototype
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »

An oil drum and a barstool are just some of the precision tools necessary in the construction of a full size homebuilt airplane.

Yes!  That guy builds the way I do!
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 02:33:47 AM »

I grab whatever long skinny trash is on the workbench or in my "little bits -o- balsa" bin and prop up the wingtips.  Pencils, dowels, leftover spar stock for a larger plane, etc., are all fair game.  Gross setting is done by selection of the size of the item, fine setting is done by sliding it toward or away from the wing chord.

Useful I have loads of little offcuts

Neil
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 02:35:03 AM »

Wow I  am not going that big  Cheesy
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »

I had a redesign and used some old brass from a kicker plate I removed years ago from an old door, for the foot and used a penny washer with one side ground down to get as low as possible and give more bite when tightening. Easier to set the height with the brass foot than the thicker wooden one, using my depth gauge.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »

Dihedral Jig?? To build upon OR to setup/align a wing onto a fuselage?
A simple board with a Hinge in the middle works "fine".
 Use Lego blocks  as spacers to set hinged board angle  (dihedral)
I use lego blocks as an assembly jig... Solid and reliable.
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 02:16:21 PM »

Dihedral Jig?? To build upon OR to setup/align a wing onto a fuselage?
A simple board with a Hinge in the middle works "fine".
 Use Lego blocks  as spacers to set hinged board angle  (dihedral)
I use lego blocks as an assembly jig... Solid and reliable.

To hold wing tips at correct height for dihedral while glueing, I know they are far from essential but it’s a nice easy solution and I don’t have to hunt for things to give me the right height, or mess about with things on my desk

Neil
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »

I've nicked AvroVulcan's idea.  I use piles of two-bob bits. If you haven't got half a ton of scrap metal in the form of pre-decimal coinage floating around the house then piles of twopenny bits will do equally well.  I do like Smithy's jig though.  Nice and solid.
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 05:33:50 PM »

I've nicked AvroVulcan's idea.  I use piles of two-bob bits. If you haven't got half a ton of scrap metal in the form of pre-decimal coinage floating around the house then piles of twopenny bits will do equally well.  I do like Smithy's jig though.  Nice and solid.

I just didn’t want to be scrabbling around looking for odds and sods and I can set them up quickly with my depth gauge.

Neil
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 05:37:14 PM »

I was going to say that as a 'merikan, I don't have such furrin' currency in my home!

Then I realized that somewhere I have about two pounds (weight, not value -- keep it straight over there) of mixed-denomination and mixed-country currency, from my one trip to Europe in 1982 or so.  Guilders, Marks, and Yugoslavian Dinari, mostly, although other countries may have contributed unknowingly.  I think all the marks are BDR, although my cousin came back from a similar trip with a DDR (err -- GDR -- I had to look up the English abbreviation) banknote -- I gather that they were illegal in the BDR, so the thing to do if you had one was to slip it onto someone unsuspecting in their change.
John Webster
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

The sun illuminates the structure.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »

Nice jigs Smithy.

A pilot starts out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 11:17:43 PM »

It would help if you included a picture of your jig "in action" with a wing being "dihedraled".
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 03:14:44 AM »

Nice jigs Smithy.

Thanks

Neil
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 03:23:01 AM »

It would help if you included a picture of your jig "in action" with a wing being "dihedraled".

Here is a shot of them after I sanded the dihedral to correct it ready to glue.

I just need to wait them down ( not really needed but just in case the bench is knocked ) and pin down the centre section with these wings. I will post another when I do the bottom wings into the fuselage.

Neil
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »

Looks good.  A useful tool.  Saves thrashing around the shop looking for shims.  Wink
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 06:38:31 AM »

Not a bad idea at all actually and nicely made. I'm sure you will turn out some nice models if you take that much care with your jigs.

John
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »

Looks good.  A useful tool.  Saves thrashing around the shop looking for shims.  Wink

Thanks, just very convenient as you day hunting for stuff

Neil
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »

Not a bad idea at all actually and nicely made. I'm sure you will turn out some nice models if you take that much care with your jigs.

John

I could have used the router table to make them better but after moving most tools are stacked in a storage shed till I build my big shed/workshop, so they were done in the main by hand. They don’t really need to be built to a fine tolerance, I just used what I had lying around apart from bolts, wing nuts and washers.

Neil
Smithy64
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »

Found another use for the jigs  Grin holding undercarriage wire whilst the epoxy sets to fix the axle in place.

Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: