Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 08:45:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My first F1R  (Read 1418 times)
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 41

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 09:18:02 PM »

I'll post the A6 plans, just need a few days to get around to checking the pdf version, kind of busy getting ready for Wednesday flying right now.

I built a new stab and rudder for the F1r, also noticed when I got home that the boom was bent as well, so I also had to replace that. New boom/stab/rudder shown, total plane weight was still around .52 g. Biggest challenge at the field so far is getting it out of the box without breaking it.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: My first F1R
Iridescent Wings
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »

I'll post the A6 plans, just need a few days to get around to checking the pdf version, kind of busy getting ready for Wednesday flying right now.

I built a new stab and rudder for the F1r, also noticed when I got home that the boom was bent as well, so I also had to replace that. New boom/stab/rudder shown, total plane weight was still around .52 g. Biggest challenge at the field so far is getting it out of the box without breaking it.

Hey, you're Domoremath, aren't you?
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2019, 05:17:52 PM »

Yes, haven't done much outdoor flying this year though.

Given the problems with the box mentioned above, I upgraded it with balsa slides, both for the wings and props, first photo, second photo shows that the A6 and F1L wings both just fit on one slide. More room and I'm not breaking things (as much)!
Iridescent Wings
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2019, 06:50:54 PM »

That looks very nice! I have trouble building that well, but maybe it's just impatience. Awesome nevertheless!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 03:36:55 PM »

Thanks, it's a lot of practice and some patience, pretty much what this hobby is all about!

I finished a second F1R, didn't change anything but used some old .006 I had for the boom, and so it came out lighter at .494 g. The A6 and F1L track nicely and don't need steering, but this is light and drifts more and I realized last week that I have to learn how to pole steer for the F1R; that motivated building a back-up cause the learning curve will probably consist of some breakage!
Iridescent Wings
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 05:34:05 PM »

Incredible building skills! Now I want to build one of my own  Tongue
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 06:50:10 PM »

Today had to be the coldest indoor flying I've ever done, it was 25 outside when we got there and the new heating system isn't done so there was NO heat, and some windows were open! Of course I closed them immediately, but it was really cold and drafty, I'd say <40, my F1R prop was turning continuously while in the holder. There were four of us flying rubber and we were all bundled in sweaters, scarves, and coats. The cold air really killed the A6's for all three of us who where flying them, a real struggle to climb.

I was surprised to see that the F1R, on the other hand, really climbs, cold or not. I thought I'd need a lower pitch prop with the cold, but it climbed like it was at Lakehurst so I immediately changed to a higher pitch prop. Still need to figure out the right prop/rubber combo, but I had a few good flights, best time was 14:13 for a no-touch that went up 30 something feet. Interesting that it handled the cold/breezes (I had to do some pole steering), whereas the A6's clearly had problems. Club pres. mentioned that we may not have heat until January, which would really kill the season, plus it's the worst possible timing because I'm on sabbatical until January and don't have to race out, so the flying is more relaxing; I was really looking forward to the next few months, but it's not as much fun when you're freezing your buns off!

I got a little video, included at the end here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQyNc8UUJQk

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 02:14:37 AM »

That's keen Larry - flying in 7 below. Brr! interesting to see the cold affecting the heavier model more than the F1R. It seems like a power problem (ie rubber), to me, but it's hard to see why?
The A6 motors colder than the F1R?

Ah - modellings continuous source of little mysteries. Thanks for the video. Good luck with the heating.

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2019, 10:14:45 AM »

Hi John, yes it's interesting, there are so many possibilities it's complex. People were breaking motors, and I know from winter outdoor flying that cold isn't good for the rubber, so that probably has something to do with it. But my guess in this case is that the main culprit was moisture - it rained earlier and I've noticed that the climb stinks in moist air, I guess because of the lower density, and this will also affect the pull of the prop as well. Probably had a bigger effect on the A6 because of the narrow wing. Also the balsa gets a little floppier in moisture which doesn't help. We'll have to see what happens if we get a cold, dry day, but I'm praying they get the heat on soon! I could swear that when I opened up the box when I got home that I could feel the cold air coming out in my nice warm apartment!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 10:54:10 AM »

Forgot to mention, I also think that another aspect of the cold air is that it 'sinks' off the windows and creates a lot of air currents, we had some stalls when the planes turned into the 'breeze' (coming from the direction of the windows, that's why I think that's the culprit), still happens with the heat on but it seems less, and the heat dries the air out and you get better flying.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »

Hi Larry, are you doing your indoor flying at Lakehurst? That place is so big it creates its own weather. I lost 2 peanut MO-1s in there about 15 years ago.

Iridescent wings, you should try Ray Harlan's parlor mites if you want to get a taste of this thing. I found you need some pretty fine tuned tools to cut some of that stock. I flew my parlor mites in the living room for years, I lost one to Grandad swatting it away one Thanksgiving dinner. It was a howl and I didn't mind losing the plane. It took a few mins. getting it all out of the gravy tureen! Sorry Larry back to your reg. scheduled program!

The Threadkiller!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »

Hi Crabby - it's not Lakehurst, it's Teaneck armory in NJ, it's about 34 feet to the lights in the center. At least next week it should be in the 40's outdoors so it should be better indoors, though I really wish we could find out when the heat will be back, hard to fly when you want to jump up and down to keep warm.

Sorry Larry back to your reg. scheduled program!

Not a problem, the parlor mites are fun, I'd also check the plans gallery, there are some good plans there, and you can also look online at indoor news and views, have fun!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2019, 07:06:39 PM »

But my guess in this case is that the main culprit was moisture - it rained earlier and I've noticed that the climb stinks in moist air, I guess because of the lower density, and this will also affect the pull of the prop as well. Probably had a bigger effect on the A6 because of the narrow wing.

That would make more sense - the Re No's would be lower which would hit your high AR A6's. The F1R has to deal with low Re's 0- but it will perform even better I suspect on a good day with higher density.

Interesting little facets of modelling and flying - how could it ever get boring?

Enjoy your reports Larry - hope they get that heating going earlier.

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »

Hi John - yes I think that's right, hard not to notice that flying stinks on really moist days. Unfortunately the heat was still off this week, so it was again winter-coat indoor flying. I talked to the building manager and he said it should be on soon, I hope he's right. We won't find out for two weeks though, there's no flying next Wednesday because parade bands use the armory for practice the day before Thanksgiving. Fingers crossed for next time!
Iridescent Wings
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2019, 06:12:41 PM »

Iridescent wings, you should try Ray Harlan's parlor mites if you want to get a taste of this thing. I found you need some pretty fine tuned tools to cut some of that stock. I flew my parlor mites in the living room for years, I lost one to Grandad swatting it away one Thanksgiving dinner. It was a howl and I didn't mind losing the plane. It took a few mins. getting it all out of the gravy tureen! Sorry Larry back to your reg. scheduled program!

Do you have any specific plans for me to try? I found a canard pusher in the plan gallery but otherwise just ministicks.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: