Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 08, 2020, 06:07:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My first F1R  (Read 2413 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 183

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2020, 08:46:02 PM »

A couple of minutes work for you Larry Smiley

John
Skymon
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 10:17:14 AM »

I have an F1R build video that I've been making while doing some building, came out kind of long when I started putting it together so it's 3 parts, I put up the first part which is the fuselage/boom, second part is the prop, third part is the wing, still working on that; below is a shot from the covering the wing part (still cursing myself for forgetting to better adjust the light in that part of the video!) I put in some brief flying at the end, you might just want to skip to that.

That's a lot of wasteage - do you sane the scraps for props??
If you set it down off centre you could get all your surfaces on that frame...

S
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 41

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »

Yes, I made the frame so that you can get the wing, stab, and rudder on it, so you can do the whole F1R on one frame, but here I only had a wing to do and didn't want to bother segmenting off a smaller piece (I have extra balsa strips that can be put in), I also keep the extra pieces for patches.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2020, 10:23:38 AM »

Tired of being trapped in the apt, thank goodness we have building to keep us busy! I just finished my fourth F1R, thought I'd be flying it today but oh well. I was a little worried about the stab/rudder because I used .019 thick balsa, they're pretty light, but seem OK.
Now I have to figure out what to build next...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: My first F1R
Re: My first F1R
Skymon
Gold Member

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2020, 11:07:37 AM »

It's amazing just how thin you can go on the stab and wing tips.
I keep getting thinner wondering when there will not be enough area to stick film to.
it's a learning process.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2020, 11:33:17 AM »

It is amazing, when I finished the stab I thought I had overdone it, seemed kind of flimsy, nice part is it only weighed .025g whereas my last one was .041g. I was worried it wouldn't stay flat when I covered it, but after covering it seemed fine, and I managed to get it mounted to the boom keeping it pretty flat. However I don't want to get too crazy here so for the next one I might go back to .020 or a little more, unless this one seems to hold up OK (with the pole steering), we'll see.
Skymon
Gold Member

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2020, 03:57:53 AM »

I found that sticking the tubes on perfectly vertical was critical.
I have a spare stab that the front tube was a little wonky, as soon as I let go the stab began to rise on one side and almost folded up.
I use very small tubes, so there isn't a lot of side wall to make straight and if I put a balsa post in there so I can see if it's vertical then it can stick in there when the glue is applied.
These tiny light things present some challenges, but that's a lot of the fun.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2020, 05:07:52 PM »

I don't use tubes on the stab for F1R, just a dot of ambroid (so I can adjust it later if need be) on the front and back and that's it, fortunately it's small enough so that you can do that and still fit a bunch in the box; F1D is another story, need tubes there!

My tubes on the wing are very small, and I do what you say - put in a (scrap) balsa post for the alignment, if you hit the tube with a dot of ambroid, put it in place and let it set a few secs, you can then put in a post and align things, and it shouldn't glue in. It might also help that my tissue tubes have been soaked with a drop of thin CA (shown in the next video), so they're kind of plasticized and the ambroid used for attachment later has less of a tendency to soak through.
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2020, 11:16:38 AM »

This is a good thread and i look forward to the next video
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2020, 04:51:56 AM »

[quoteI found that sticking the tubes on perfectly vertical was critical.
I have a spare stab that the front tube was a little wonky, as soon as I let go the stab began to rise on one side and almost folded up.][/quote]

The closest I have come to a build of this fragility was with an old style EZE -B - a Laurie Barr Flyrod. I used a small jig using scrap posts on a balsa plate(at the right chord wise dimension) to set the tubes on the fuse for the wing posts. My tubes would have been glued with CA and they were formed with PVA. I can't remember any issues - but it was a long time ago.

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »

I used a small jig using scrap posts on a balsa plate(at the right chord wise dimension) to set the tubes on the fuse for the wing posts.

John

That's similar to how I do the front tube. For the rear tube, I let the wing hang over the board and use the post as described above to make sure it's square. When that's dry, I mount the rear post on the tongue used to store the wings in the box, it's basically just a balsa tongue with posts on it, that holds the wing in place, then I put on the front tube, and use a post again to get it aligned, fortunately I videoed this for the 3rd part, the wing.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 06:06:30 PM »

OK, I uploaded part 2 of the build (these longer videos take hours to upload!), which shows how I make the prop and hub, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQEirHxI62Q
Little bit of flying at the end of my old F1R from a few months back after many repairs, amazing how you can repair over and over and get right back in the air!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »

Finally got Part 3 up, the wing, assembly, balancing, glue, motor, I hope it's helpful! Will probably be quite a wait until I get to fly it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kPlEzZwIY4
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2020, 08:57:32 PM »

Thanks for that Larry - we certainly have the time to watch and learn. Take care.

John
Skymon
Gold Member

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »

My tubes would have been glued with CA and they were formed with PVA

PVA, nice one.
I never thought of that!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2020, 04:22:41 AM »

Thanks for putting up those videos Larry - I've just watched part 3 - now to go back and watch the other 2 parts  Smiley I like the way you cover using water on the frame and also the way you place the sleeves and O rings on the motor . Strangely I also use a overhand knot and a square knot for my motors - but in reverse order. First the square and then the overhead. I use this knot on any size rubber motor and provided each knot is pulled tight( I lubricate it with saliva) - I never have had any trouble.

Your videos are always instructive and worth watching.

Take care.

John
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 05:16:53 AM by OZPAF » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: