Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 06:05:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Taipan 2.5 Gold Head glow  (Read 566 times)
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 02:40:06 AM »

Screws are never hardened to a unworkable hardness like Rockwell 60 and more. They undergo a temperature process, similar to hardening (which I dont know the English expression  Sad ), which increases the toughness and the tensile strength, but they remain workable with normal HSS tools. If in doubt just try to attack the head with a new file.

Turn down the head on your lathe or take the screw in your drilling machine and bring the diameter down with a sharp file.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 05:55:15 AM »

Screws are never hardened to a unworkable hardness like Rockwell 60 and more. They undergo a temperature process, similar to hardening (which I dont know the English expression  Sad ), which increases the toughness and the tensile strength, but they remain workable with normal HSS tools. If in doubt just try to attack the head with a new file.

Turn down the head on your lathe or take the screw in your drilling machine and bring the diameter down with a sharp file.

Urs
Many thanks Urs, thats exactly what I will do.... put screw in Dremel (el cheapo version) and grind against file ot grit paper.  Thats gotta work!
J
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 06:01:55 AM »

Thanks all above once more.  Thats the way I think - screw in Dremel and grind carefully 0.5 mm or so off side.
Gotta work!  i did notice, btb, with the cap heads on and reasonably tight I had no compression, even though it looked fine.  Just because, presumably, they wern't seated snug.  A lesson there perhaps?
Will revert, as they said once upon a time (JR-M) after trials.
john
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 09:49:35 AM »

Bingo!
Screws nicely slimmed in a Dremel on emery board (thanks Mrs C) and snugly tightened.
Fired up @ 1335 BST, no muffler.  You may have heard it down under!
Thanks to all above for good advice.  Kudos all round.
Incidentally, I didnt realise .... but UNC need dedicated key.  For mine (5/40) a Torx T10 fits snugly enough.
Decidely over and out from me.
jc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: