Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 07:43:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RC-ing an old diesel...  (Read 256 times)
MrTin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »

Hi all, relatively new here.
I have had, for as long as this old brain cares to remember, an ED Racer diesel. In rarely run, excellent condition. I used to run it on the coal bunker as a kid.
I had to stop that as the diesel fuel took all the little gritty bits off the roofing felt that covered the lid of the bunker!  Happy days indeed.  I also have a P.A.W. 19. I think it would be great to put one or both in a couple of R/C aircraft, but neither have carbs. The P.A.W. is an early one with vertical venturi which makes a carb. almost impossible as it's too close to the cylinder and the Racer is rear drum induction of course. I don't want to modify either engine, but could maybe make adaptors.  Has anyone had experience of R/C-ing these old engines?

Cheers,
Martin
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 05:52:03 PM »

I have no experience as such Martin but such as i have allows me to say that diesels generally do not lend themselves to throttle control as might some of the glow engines. Often with a diesel you have to tinker with the compression and the mixture to get it to run at varying set speeds.  A "glow" just the "mix".  And a Racer for example - a performance engine - could well be very "sensitive" Something "chuggy" like a Mills 1.3 might be easy going to a degree but not like an OS for example!  But I am sure someone will be along soon with more knowledge than I.   
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 06:36:28 PM »

In that case I have really good news for you-you can get complete RC backplate assemblies for the ED Racer 3-D printed from a coop in the Netherlands-they even offer a choice of an original NVA version or one sized for the PAW NVA. The outfit is called 'Shapeways' and it is effectively a market where people post their 3D designs for anything and receive a royalty for any that are ordered and sold. They seem to have expanded to a US based HQ now...

Here's a direct link:      https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=ed+racer+backplate                             [seemingly you can have any colour you like as long as its white....;-)  ]

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'

PS I beg to differ from DavidJP.....ED Racers have a long history of being throttled for RC-even ED themselves produced a rather elegant but fragile double butterfly throttle for the Racer-in the 50s-and the last models-in the 70s-were available ex factory with a more normal rotating barrel throttle-as was the Super Fury and 5cc Viking.....just to be different of course-the Super Hunter came with an exhaust throttle, not a carburrettor throttle-though the keen eyed will note a suitable throttle for the Hunter now listed among the Shapeways offerings.
whiskers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 05:29:13 AM »

Just seen this topic. You can indeed put R/C carb on the P.A.W. The factory did it themselves! I have an old vertical venturi P.A.W. 19 with a factory fitted carb. This motor throttles very well and starts ridiculously easily. The 'tick-over' is not quite as slow as a comparable glow motor (that could just be me?) but other than that it's a good-un. I also have a P.A.W. R/C 1.49 which is equally fine. I'm sure if you contact P.A.W. they could sort you out or be of help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: