Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2020, 12:22:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Junkers 87 B-2/R-2  (Read 7016 times)
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2019, 04:13:37 PM »

The drop tanks are definitely going to be, ha  haa, dropped.

I think I can make them light enough.  Cut and shape in two halves out of soft balsa block then hollow out the centre of each half as per the test piece shown and then glue together.  However they look like they'll be horribly draggy.  They are big.  Very roughly 23/4" x 1/2".  The attachment shows the proportions against a wing outer section.  If this were a CO2 or electric build then it'd be worth pursuing, but not, I think, for a rubber powered model when there already some very draggy UC legs hanging down as well.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Junkers 87 B-2/R-2
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:00:42 PM by TheLurker » Logged
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2019, 10:00:44 PM »

Not to mention the need to install sway braces, latches, fuel feed plumbing and get the German stenciling correct. Grin
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2019, 02:49:13 AM »

Quote from: flydean1
Not to mention the need to install sway braces, latches, fuel feed plumbing and get the German stenciling correct. Grin
Details, mere details old boy. Hmmm... the latches might be slightly awkward, but the fuel lines wouldn't be a problem as they were all plumbed internally so wouldn't be obvious once the tanks were in position and as this is a Picchiatello* I rather think the various instruction and information legends would have been overpainted in Italian.   Smiley

*An interesting re-naming.  Picchiatello carries connotations of battery (as in assault &), but also eccentricity or craziness and one wonders which aspect of the Ju87 was uppermost in peoples' thoughts when the name was assigned.  The quite frankly bats appearance of the thing or its capacity for inflicting damage?  It argues a, dark, sense of humour usually absent in the naming of these things.

ETA.  I'd be interested to hear what any Italian members of the parish have to say.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:13:26 AM by TheLurker » Logged
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2019, 03:38:53 AM »

I wish I was still allowed to indulge in Dick-Dastardly-esque behaviour but that avenue of pleasure has been closed to me [misquoted from "Fawlty Towers", 1979]. Smiley

I think leaving off the drop tanks is wise. And I admire your courage adding all the weight associated with a 250 kg bomb and trapeze - I mean, it still has to achieve a minimal 12 second flight in order to avoid any unpleasantness with Avocado. How much does it all weigh at the moment?...
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2019, 05:01:20 AM »

Quote from: abl
How much does it all weigh at the moment?...

No idea.  I'm expecting it to be a bit of a porker.  The plan is to get all the bits together see how heavy it is and if necessary discard non-essentials like the trapeze, bomb and even the MG-15.   I know that my Camel will fly at well north of 40g and K5083's weight in ballast, prior to trimming, was a fraction under 32g, but both of those have more generous wing area to play with than this one. 

Given the uncertainty over weight and flight capability your seconds are cordially invited to retrieve the towel from the ring where it was dropped quite by accident. Smiley
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: December 24, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »

Last major structural item, the canopy, finally dealt with.  It's a long, long way from perfect, but after five (5) goes at it I'll settle for what I've got otherwise this will never get finished.  FWIW a hot air paint stripper is just about good enough as a heat source, but only if you have no better alternative.  Mid / late January is now looking like a realistic possibility for build complete.

I shall, of course, be using the seminal work on canopy framing to complete it.

Pics.  Various views of the canopy in place.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »

"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."  Ladies, Gentlemen, Girls and Boys the Publicity Dept. of the Lurker Industries Aviation Co. Ltd. presents.... the obligatory bones shots.

It is a porker.  Listen to it grunt.  Smiley  As pictured, sans flaps, main ordnance, trapeze, tailwheel and rad. gills, it registers 25g on the kitchen scales.  Some small consolation (barely a scruple's worth) is that weight (about 32 and half scruples as it happens) is with all the heavy-weight bits esp. the noseblock and main UC in place.  However I think I'm going to have to find my lightest balsa for the flaps.

Disappointed to find that I will need a jig for fitting the wings.  The port side is fine, but there's a bit of play in the slots for the wing tongue in the stbd wing which means it will need something to keep it aligned whilst the glue sets.  Sloppy building that man.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2020, 05:25:35 PM »

Not bad - not to bad at all - for the first preproduction prototype! Smiley Now for the production version Cheesy It looks good Lurk - give the workers a day off!.

John
Marco
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »

Quote from: flydean1
Details, mere details old boy. Hmmm... the latches might be slightly awkward, but the fuel lines wouldn't be a problem as they were all plumbed internally so wouldn't be obvious once the tanks were in position and as this is a Picchiatello* I rather think the various instruction and information legends would have been overpainted in Italian.   Smiley

*An interesting re-naming.  Picchiatello carries connotations of battery (as in assault &), but also eccentricity or craziness and one wonders which aspect of the Ju87 was uppermost in peoples' thoughts when the name was assigned.  The quite frankly bats appearance of the thing or its capacity for inflicting damage?  It argues a, dark, sense of humour usually absent in the naming of these things.

ETA.  I'd be interested to hear what any Italian members of the parish have to say.
Hi all and happy new year !
My little contribution, to explain the joke behind the name 'Picchiatello' - 'Picchiatello' is said of someone who is happily crazy and nice; to give you an example, Jerry Lewis was called in this way in the italian version of some of his movies. On the other hand, 'dive', in italian,  is translated with 'picchiata'. No relation between the two words, but similar sound - so, in case of the Ju 87, 'Picchiatello' could be used as a funny nickname linked also to the mission of the plane (dive bomber, i.e. 'bombardiere in picchiata').
There are several jokes in the insignia of the Italian Air Force, the three green mice, for instance, on the S79 squadron as well as the black cat that is catching the green mice (on a fighter squadron), or the nickname 'Mammaiuto' ('Help me, mum') for the SAR planes.
Nice diversion...

Marco
Marco
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2020, 02:29:52 PM »

Just to provide a bit of constructive contribution...if you are going to build a Picchiatello, hereunder you can find a couple of pictures. The most distinctive character of these planes, perhaps, is that they were build as german aircraft, with german markings. Although the markings were coarsely covered once the aircraft were in Italy, they were still visible through the camo...
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2020, 03:52:04 PM »

Ahh. Thanks for the unravelling of the joke behind the name Marco,  it makes perfect sense now.   Likewise thanks for the additional pictures; however I don't think my finishing skills are up to doing anything that good. I wish they were.  If you trek back to page 1 or 2 you'll see the scheme I'm hoping to  render.  I was going to do it with the RAF roundels, but as the CD expressed a preference just before Christmas for the original Italian scheme and I'm feeling charitable he can have it that way as a late Xmas present.   
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2020, 05:22:50 AM »

Have not looked at this topic for a while and am singularly impressed by the “bones” pictures Lurky old fellow.  It certainly looks like an eighty seven.  And the canopy looks good too.  Thank you for the comments on the heat gun - have been wondering how effective they were for that kind of thing.  The last time I did any moulding I used the ring on the gas stove - which worked well.

Marco, thank you for that explanation.  Amusing indeed.  The best I can think of as a match was “Wimpy” as a nic - name for the Wellington because of its plump appearance - after a cartoon character who was addicted to hamburgers! 

There is perhaps something happily crazy about a Stuka - from what I have read and heard you needed to be a little crazy to fly in one particularly if you were in the rear seat but as an aircraft it’s gawky and slightly prehistoric image can touch ones sense of humour.  Thank again for that gem of information.
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2020, 07:33:33 AM »

Not bad at all, Lurk; 25 grams might sound calamitous but that does include all the heavy parts and I imagine that the c.g is currently in a relatively favourable position. I remain optimistic.

A.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2020, 02:35:52 PM »

Porky is quite okay, dear Lurk, after all it is supposed to dive...
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2020, 03:29:40 PM »

Quote from: abl
Not bad at all, Lurk; 25 grams might sound calamitous...
My fingers are well and truly crossed unfortunately this is making covering a bit difficult.

Quote from: Jack Plane
Porky is quite okay, dear Lurk, after all it is supposed to dive...
Umm. Yes.  I'm fully expecting the "glide" at motor run out to be very prototypical but I'd quite like it to not try and burrow into the ground. Smiley
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »

May I just point out that it only has to fly for 12 seconds from a hand launch in order to avoid any unpleasantness with avocado? And in any case I'm expecting something over double that (assuming that you're not using the original Keil Kraft 5" propeller).
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »

Perhaps launch from a high balcony Smiley With a siren the dive could be more than 12secs and realistic Smiley Actually I doubt that you will have trouble making 12secs!
John
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2020, 04:40:28 PM »

Quote from: OZPAF
Perhaps launch from a high balcony...
I wouldn't want the CD thinking I was trying to cheat.  It just happens to be nothing more than pure, utterly innocent, coincidence that the initial flight trials are planned to be from Sutton Bank*.   Smiley

Covering and related decorative work proceeds at a glacially slow pace.  The attached pictures represent all progress since the 3rd.  Quite a lot of time gone into drawing and cutting templates as well as the usual experiments to work out the best solution for odd steps.  On which today's top tip is;  when your beloved receives expensive** clothes wrapped in extremely flimsy tissue paper do not throw that tissue paper away.  It may be absolutely useless for covering model aeroplanes, but it's first rate for wrapping around complicated bits of fuselage or wing as the first stage in making a card template.

Pics.  Underside and stbd side covered, a couple of shots of the wings, the underwing fasces and one tailwheel. 

I think I may have to recut the template for the fasces as I'm not quite satisfied with the two currently earmarked.  I'll live with the tailwheel as it is.  It satisfies my interpretation of the 4' rule.

Lurk.

*For non-UK readers.  A popular haunt of the gliding community.  Everyone's favourite search engine will reveal why.
**All ladies' clothing is expensive.  I have no idea why.  It's probably quantum.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2020, 04:06:21 PM »

The Directors have expressed their joint and several concern at the expenditure of the paint shop in recent weeks.

Or...
Five quid for not quite three (3) teaspoons of Indian Ink!?  Messrs Windsor & Newton you really are having a laugh aren't you?  All the way to the bank I'll bet.

Win some, lose some.  Have a satisfactory solution for the yellow band on the nose;  45gsm layout paper with a single v. thin coat of the enamel used to paint the nose-block and spinner; cut to size and glued (thinned PVA) in place.  Colour match isn't perfect; different substrates so to be expected, but it's a much better match than any of the yellow tissue I have and the layout paper means that the base colour doesn't show so doesn't need several coats of paint.  Unfortunately my cunning plan for the underwing fasces; ink on shrunk and doped tissue which are then cut from the carrier and doped in position is a dead loss.  A quick test shows that the thinned dope washes away the ink.  I may try using thinned PVA to tack the fasces in place, it seems to have worked OK for the yellow fuselage banding so it's got to be worth a go.  If that fails I'll be drawing them on 45gsm and colouring in the background with my pale blue crayon.  Smiley

A chapter in which our Hero utters an Heresy!

I think I prefer EzeDope.  

Nurse!  The economy size bottle of smelling salts as quickly as you like please.  You'd better deal with Abl first he looks rather too peaky to me.

OK, I am seriously out of practice with the grown-up stuff, but I'm not at all pleased with the finish on the fuselage when I compare it with my VMC Camel covered in the same tissue.  It's supposed a bomber so I'd expect and want a matt/flat finish and the dope leaves it with considerably more "shine" than the EzeDope.

Pics.  The fish were biting today and some views of the nose showing the yellow band.
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2020, 04:35:39 PM »

> I think I prefer EzeDope.

I feel faint. Nurse!??....

A.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2020, 10:21:33 AM »

Aren't scale(ish) models a fiddle to finish off?  Smiley

Replaced the test bomb-aiming window with the production part today and many of you will be gratified to hear that in keeping with Co. tradition this model also uses domestic Al. tissue albeit only a tiny fragment for the "glass" in the window.

It's too late for this airframe, but you'll see that the lower stringers and keel aren't level enough and the the forward part of the window which should be flush with the fuselage up to the "hinge" line slopes down. An annoyance, but never mind.

Work continues on covering wings and other decorative niff, naff and trivia.

Pics.  Couple of views of the "production" window.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2020, 04:43:29 PM »

Started on the splinter camouflage yesterday and as I feared I am making a bit of a bish of it, but no ticket monies will be refunded as I did state this to be the likely outcome way, way, waaayy back in September. Smiley

Fuselage done. Result is a bit, "meh".  Stbd wing in progress, still a couple of patches to do.  Had to do re-do the LE panels as separate panels, my, my what a fiddle, because no amount of vituperation or hacking with a scalpel would persuade them to lie any where near flat.   A close up view shows that they're still distressingly "bubbly".  Rather saddened by this as the base tissue covering was (by my standards) good.  Never mind; at squinting distance on a foggy day they'll pass.

On the upside the chosen tissues (VMC Olive, Racing Green & Easybuilt pale blue) are a pretty good match, for KS, to the prototype's scheme.

Pics.  Views of fuselage, the "bubbly" panels and the reasonably good base covering for comparison.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:00:01 PM by TheLurker » Logged
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »

> ...A close up view shows that they're still distressingly "bubbly"...

Looks fine to me.

However, if you haven't doped the Dunkelgrun tissue yet, you should find that if you carefully slit the bubble(s) and then drop some water on each one from a soft brush, it'll shrink down nicely.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »

> ...A close up view shows that they're still distressingly "bubbly"...
Looks fine to me.
I think I shall reconsider your recommendation to invest in varifocals. Smiley

However, if you haven't doped the Dunkelgrun tissue yet...
Too late; already doped and the stores wallahs say they're completely out of shrinking dope and aren't likely to get any in the foreseeable.

ETA.
Hang on a mo.  Did you mean the Schwartzgrun?  Because that hasn't been doped "properly", just "thinners flooded" onto the doped Dunkelgrun base.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2020, 08:25:20 PM »

Is there anything in the kit scale rules that say you must use colour tissue for such things as splinter camouflage?

I have been experimenting with Faber-Castell Pitt pens and brushes. The inks are claimed to be water proof “India” ink and the pens come with brush tips, a medium sized fibre tip and a fine fibre tip. I have found it possible to paint a 1 mm line using the brush tip and a suitable guide held well off the paper. The tissue paper needs to be sealed with dope or ink to prevent wicking along the edges.

There are a lot of colours available as individual pens, at least there are at art shops near me.

For what it may be worth

Paul
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: