Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 07:32:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Junkers 87 B-2/R-2  (Read 3315 times)
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2019, 06:28:38 AM »

I applaud you Lurk on defending our Albert.

I hope that the jury will accept my sincere and heartfelt apologies for any perceived denigration of Mr Hatful's skill and judgement as a designer; it was not my intention to deprecate the reputation or skill of Mr Hatful.

It will be seen that there is a noticeable difference in the sweep-back of the L.E., the shape of wing tip and the size and shape of the flaps.

Oh, come now - they look pretty much identical to me. Granted, there are some minor changes but they are surely very minor and could scarecely be regarded by any reasonable person as <ahem> "significant". The change in sweepback might just attract the odd point or two if the judge is having a bad day, but seen in the round they look very similar. I'm sure that his honour The Judge will correctly consider that any minor changes to be just that, particularly if they are not visible under the covering when subjected to a casual glance?

(I'm on a loser here, aren't I?)

TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2019, 08:10:30 AM »

Slightly OT and joking aside it does sadden me when people have a go at any kit designer for the compromises necessary in a commercial product.  Mr. Hatful's Ju87 is quite a good example of this.  If you compare the wing & wing tip construction in entry 77 you'll see that his design is recognisably a Ju87 wing, uses relatively few complicated components and is well within the talents of the average 11 or 12yo to build well. Whereas my modified wing and wing-tip has some stupidly small fiddly bits and would be a complete non-starter as a kit suitable plan, even with laser cut parts, which were not an option 60 years ago.

Back OT.  Both outer wing sections, sans flaps, done.  UC legs test fitted. They seem OK. Will need to do a tiny bit more fettling to the UC legs to ensure they don't splay come final assembly, but so far, so good.

At the moment hoping for a mid January finish, but mid Feb. isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.

Cheers,
Lurk.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Junkers 87 B-2/R-2
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2019, 01:43:36 PM »

Unless anyone is especially desperate to see it I won't re-post the "Deviation Summary" that was lost when Ratz rescued the forum from the horrors of a <DBDGD>*.  If anyone would like a reminder for her or his own reference then please send a large stamped, self addressed envelope togther with a postal order for 5/3d to the Public Relations Dept. at  The Lurker Industries Aviation Co. Ltd.

Yesterday and today spent sorting the nose block and spinner.  Bit of painting to do before it all goes together.

I did think about using my home-brewed thrustline adjuster, but in the end I've gone for a fixed 3D, 3R as even with the slightly larger nose plug it's a bit cramped for the brasswork. If shims are required then so be it.  The airscrew is VMC's finest 6" and the spinner is also courtesy of VMC.  It's the one that comes with Andrew D's Hurricane and is a pretty convincing** substitute for no additional effort on my part. It's certainly more convincing than the original.  Hmmm, I wonder; does this count as another deviation?

Pics.  Setting up the thrustline, ensuring spinner disc and shaft-line are square, test fit of the whole boiling and a snipping from the KK plan showing the original combined spinner & prop.

Lurk
*One for all the DSM-11 (MUMPS) programmers out there. Oh. Just me then? Oh well.

**It's a model, not a facsimile.  Not only that it's also kit scale so while I want to get the overall shape right or as near right as possible with balsa and tissue I am not going to count rivets. Smiley
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »

Thought it was about time I did something about that awful cheese-eating grin of a radiator inlet so this evening was spent testing an idea.  I think it looks a lot better.

Pics.
Testing blank for size, opening the grille out, sorting the rad. mesh and check piece resting in place.

Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »

Nice job Lurk . No cheese will be harmed after the making that grill.
abl
Gold Member

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »

That does look a lot better. Nicely done.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2019, 03:01:35 AM »

You're racking up points faster than one can say "Achtung Spitfire!"
abl
Gold Member

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2019, 05:17:15 AM »

To be honest, I had originally thought that Lurk might make a few changes and might scrape through with 16-20 penalty points but I had obviously failed to take into account the vast resources provided by Mr Barnes-Norway and his team; I suspect that we're going to end up with 60+ penalty points which is extremely impressive. And in spite of Lurk's protestations, I think that (provided that it's straight and balanced properly) the attainment of the qualifying flight time will be a foregone conclusion.

I am therefore throwing in the towel (for those of you who are late to the party, see post #1)... well done, Lurk!  Smiley
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2019, 12:34:15 PM »

Now.  Where were we?

Ah.  Yes.  The MG-15.  How to do the magazines.  I've worked out a moderately good solution.  As usual the execution is not all I hoped it would be, but not so bad that I'm ashamed to show the result.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:05:12 PM by TheLurker » Logged
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »

No ring sight? Grin
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »

Quote from: flydean1
No ring sight? Grin
Of course there's a ring sight.  It's just not fitted yet.  Would you expect anything less of Mr. Barnes-Norway and his staff? Smiley

This is far and away the easiest bit to make.  Fine wire wrapped twice around a pin to form the loop then twisted to form the mounting post.

I doubt whether I'll bother fitting this come final assembly as it won't survive the trimming flights never mind the rough and tumble of a flying session.

You'll probably need to hit the, "Make It Bigger" button in the attachment viewer to see it.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2019, 03:21:14 PM »

That's pretty impressive   Cheesy
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2019, 03:51:25 PM »

Let's get a closer zoom so we can see the spider silk crosshairs.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »

Lurk next time you are near a hardware store get a look at the fluted dowels they make for furniture connections they come in 3 sizes, just right, too big and way too big. You might like to use them on your machine gun. You will see what I mean once you get a look! That limburger-eating grin is really diabolical. Goering is giggling hysterically like a bowl of greasy gristle somewhere!

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: