Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2019, 07:16:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: timers used for fuel cut off these days  (Read 551 times)
enyaws
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:15:30 PM »

I've got the urge to get back into power free flight.  I've been enjoying flying electric with its simple ways.  The Texas Timers  E-Max is a great unit as they are easy to use and adjust with the convenience of Quick DT for trimming.  Just curious what is the best timer with a quick DT for flying gas.  I'm not fond of the old KSB and Tatone units. The last that I used several years ago was the Seelig multi function and they appear to be scarce.  Texas Timers appears to not be offering any more fuel cut off timers. Any options that I'm not aware of?  Has anyone tried figuring out how to use the electronic timers on gas ?  That would require 4 volts I think to drive 2 servos. one to release the pinch off or flood off mechanism, and another for the DT.   I'm not sure if the electronic timer would survive the vibration or fuel.  I am somewhat familiar with RDT but am not sure if that will take the place of quick and regular DT.  Thanks for any and all input. Wayne
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 12:50:41 AM »

Mike Woodhouse in the UK (www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk) still offers quite a wide range of clockwork timers....but be quick-the mechanisms come from eastern europe and I imagine will dry up in the not too distant future for the same reasons that Texas Timers source did....

This link gives you some insight into his vast array of products:        https://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk/index.php/products

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 03:05:31 PM »

As long as you use servos that can stand the vibration you should be OK.  I've experimented with some pretty small servos for throttle control.  There are servos that do fine on a single LiPo cell -- look around.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:41:57 PM »

I highly recommend Mike's timers.  I bought several in different lines.  All work well.  The SLOP would be good for gas.
enyaws
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 09:12:36 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I'm familiar with the woodhouse website. It's a little tough for rookies like me to know what I'm actually ordering without a photo or diagram.  I understand the need to keep the bandwidth down and keeping out the riff raff like myself.  I'll keep an eye peeled for Texas timers and Seeligs on the trader sites.
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 02:53:02 PM »

Have a look at
http://www.ffelectronics.com/

They have the complet setup for power-gas models, RDT, GPS and what you like.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
enyaws
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »

OH YES, the good stuff.  My skills are not ready for FAI yet, but these will certainly work. many thanks for the lead. Wayne
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:58:58 AM »

Have a look at
http://www.ffelectronics.com/

They have the complet setup for power-gas models, RDT, GPS and what you like.

Urs

I don't see anywhere on the ffelectronics website a mention of the GPS tracker - am I just missing it?

Thanks

SD

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »

Right, Starduster. They dont mention it on there website.
But they actually have it, below a picture to prove it. PXYIS, strange name, but works perfectly.

Urs
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: timers used for fuel cut off these days

Fast up-Slow down
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »

Right, Starduster. They dont mention it on there website.
But they actually have it, below a picture to prove it. PXYIS, strange name, but works perfectly.

Urs

Thanks, Urs

I'm very, very tempted, but I have one question:

I know that the system is GPS based, but is the transmitter - receiver "line of sight"?, or, does the receiver get the data via satellite? 

Thanks again

SD

USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »

The PYXIS tracker is made up of a receiver (hand-unit) and a beacon (transmitter installed on the model). Each unit has its own GNSS module that makes it aware of its location. A long-range radio link allows the transmission of the model position to the hand-unit, that in combination with the data from a local electronic compass, displays the distance and the heading in a straight line to the model, whatever the route followed to approach it.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 05:13:49 PM »

Just got my Sympo.  Good article on these devices.  Can't wait to read it.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 09:54:34 AM »

The PYXIS tracker is made up of a receiver (hand-unit) and a beacon (transmitter installed on the model). Each unit has its own GNSS module that makes it aware of its location. A long-range radio link allows the transmission of the model position to the hand-unit, that in combination with the data from a local electronic compass, displays the distance and the heading in a straight line to the model, whatever the route followed to approach it.

Urs

Thanks for the information, Urs, but...

The documentation says that once the airplane is on the ground, the precision can be 25 meters. Please tell me that this is pessimistic. 25 meters in a cornfield may as well be a mile.

Thanks
SD

USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »

I could not find the sentence you mention, but anyway I think it is a statement so you cannot accuse ffelectronics of false testimony  Wink Cheesy
Down to 3-4m the receiver shows the direction correctly, at least in my model.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: