Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2019, 06:48:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Veco Tomahawk  (Read 209 times)
Sgt Schultz
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2019, 02:12:39 PM »

Starting to scratch a couple of Veco Tomahawks from Mark Gerber's plans and am wondering if anyone knows the rudder offset used for this design.  Also am curious as to whether the Tomahawk is eligible for the Old Time Stunt events.

Sgt Schultz

Sgt Schultz
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 03:48:47 PM »

It doesn't show up here: http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/aeromodelling/dave_day/vintage.htm

That is a British list, but I'm pretty sure they have the same cutoff date.
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »

The original plan I have by Veco for the 40" version says to "offset rudder opposite to leadouts
approx 5 degrees".  Model originally designed by Clarence Lee.

Skyraider
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 09:08:08 PM »

The original plan I have by Veco for the 40" version says to "offset rudder opposite to leadouts
approx 5 degrees".  Model originally designed by Clarence Lee.

Skyraider

BUT -- we've learned a lot since then.  So you need to decide if you want to spiff up the performance with "modern" leadout positions (and probably adjustable leadouts) and a straight or mostly-straight rudder, or if you want to have it fly like the bad good old days.
Sgt Schultz
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:13:47 AM »

Interesting to learn that Clarence Lee was the designer of the Tomahawk.  I would have guessed it was Joe Wagner or Bob Palmer.  This was my first larger than half-A stunter in about 1957 or '58.  I would expect that it came out as a kit around 1954 and therefore would not make the old time cut-off date.

I plan on using some of the modern gizmos such at tip weight box, but decided against adjustable leadouts after looking at the wing tip.  Calculating the CG to be about 2-1/4" behind the LE, I think the stock leadout position will be about right.  I did notice that the bellcrank is around 1" behind the CG.  This may be to allow for room for movement without cutting a slot in the main spar.

Just picked up an OS 25FP for it hoping that with light construction it should be enough.

Sgt Schultz

Sgt Schultz
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 05:55:39 PM »

As long as it's a dead stock 25FP (or an RC version that's had a venturi installed) then it should be more than enough.  A 20FP will power a Sig Skyray 35 just fine if you don't make it too heavy; the 25FP has a bit more oomph.

I dunno how familiar you are with engines -- do not treat that FP like it's a Fox 25!!  Use an APC 10-4 on it, or an APC 9-4 if you need a bit more power (yes, smaller prop, more power -- think of it as shifting down from 5th to 4th).  Be ready to play with the venturi size to get it right, although the stock venturi and needle valve is a very good place to start.
Sgt Schultz
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 03:58:54 PM »

Tim,

I'll certainly never claim to be an engine expert, but I've had a few of them over the years.  Got rid of most of my controline stuff when I got too old to go round and round in the circle.  That included a 25FP that I should have kept.  About the only controline engines I have now are Fox 35's on my Barnstormer and Ringmaster.  Once in a while I'll try to get in a flight if others are flying this mode.

I've encountered a young fellow, in his forties, that began many years ago with controline flying and switched to RC when he was a teenager.  He is now a very accoomplished 3D flyer, but has rediscovered controline and is enjoying the success he couldn't achieve as a younster.  We got him into his first contest a couple of weekends ago in Aurora, Ill with the Treetown guys and he was able to show us how well he could do.  I think we have him hooked on controline now, but he still does the other stuff also.  Nice to see a new guy who will listen to what advice we can give him.  Hope to see him fly the Tomahawk soon.

Sgt Schultz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: