Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 18, 2019, 04:11:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How much plane for this motor?  (Read 161 times)
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:26:51 PM »

Recently I found a couple of electric motors I had bought a few years ago.  I suppose I had some purpose in mind at the time, but life events got in the way so I've done nothing with them.  One of the motors is a GWS LPS CN12-LRC 4.8V with a 5.0:1 reduction gear.  On the back of the package there is a table which lists a 7060 prop as an "excellent" match for this motor, and dang if I didn't have a GWS prop for this motor!  I'll hazard a guess and say prop speed will be on the order of 4,000 rpm.  Perhaps this set-up would be good for a smaller rubber to electric conversion project.

I'd like to build a plane for this geared motor, but I'm at a loss as to how much plane in terms of wingspan and weight.  Any suggestions?
mescal1
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »

pretty sure that fit on the GWS Tiger Moth.  That was probably about a 30" foam biplane aprox 10oz.  If you were making it RC you may have to stick around that smaller size but
going for a free flight model you could probably go for a lot larger model.  I'd probably want to stay below 10oz but I don't remember having any trouble with power on my Tiger Moth.
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 09:44:28 PM »

The GWS Tiger Moth was a nice looking plane.  I say "was" because it appears to be a discontinued item.  But at 30" wingspan (bipe) and at 10oz, that gives me some idea what size and weight I could shoot for.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:32:02 AM »

Weren't the LPS motors smaller than the IPS? As I recall, an IPS S2 was just adequate for a 39 inch, 7 ounce Pico Cub or Pico Stick. I also seem to recall that tbe GWS Tiger Moth was of comparable weight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: