Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 27, 2020, 02:07:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sky Voyager - rubber power with RC conversion  (Read 745 times)
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 41

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »

My flying buddy Tom showed me this kit recently, Sky Voyager, imported from China and sold by J&H Aerospace, and I was impressed. It has a small reverse-Montreal stop prop(!), nice airfoil, graphite boom, etc., so I decided to get one. The other nice part is that if you want to get out to your local school to do some full-winds rubber RC flying, it takes no time at all to put it together. Was incredibly easy to add the RC, and I made some other small changes; taking a few pics and making a video, I'll post some of the pics here - some other club members got kits so this might help a little bit. I'm thinking we can do some rubber RC flying in the field/lot outside of the armory, which is bigger than my local flying field (probably 2 acres versus 1 acre)!

First up is the wing/stab. I sanded the wing halves lightly to make sure that they had a perfect fit and then joined them with Titebond. Made a really strong joint. I glued on the plastic reinforcers with 5 minute epoxy. Second photo shows that I added some strips of 1/64 ply on the bottom, just wanted to be sure that there's no rocking and the plastic doesn't dig into the Styrofoam.

I was thinking "I'll add a turbulator" on the wing and then noticed that there's one molded into the foam, now that's impressive, not surprising that the designer Wenyi flies Wakefield - thus the nice airfoil and turbulator!

Glued in the boom with 5 minute epoxy, checked it against a straightedge to make sure it was straight vertical and horizontal (there's an itsy bitsy of wiggle room).
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Sky Voyager - rubber power with RC conversion
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 03:37:56 PM »

Oops I see something happened with that second photo, here's another try.
Re: Sky Voyager - rubber power with RC conversion
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 12:31:29 PM »

I've made a lot of planes with pylons (Coupes, Wakes, Mulvihill, etc.) and I like to make sure the wing is on nice and sturdy, no wiggling for the rocket climb, so I extended the mount a little. I epoxied on some 1/64" ply on the bottom, first photo, with the grain going so that it easily followed the curve, then glued (titebond) some 1/32 balsa pads on top, second photo, with the grain going crosswise, then sanded it nice and smooth. Wing goes on nice and solid.

The equipment was incredibly easy to mount. I just epoxied on some 1/64 ply to the plastic, leaving a space for the servo, third photo. Then some dabs of epoxy on the servo screw holes and it's mounted nice and solid. A dab of epoxy on the receiver and it's on, I've done it that way on several planes, if you don't want to glue on the receiver you can just rubber band it on. Make sure you use 5 minute epoxy for the servo - it's kind of rubbery so it's 'impact resistant' (ditto for the receiver), but most important it's easy to replace the servo, you can slice the glue, wiggle out the servo,peel out the remaining glue and you're good to go, I've repeatedly replaced servos this way. In my last 9 years of hitting things the receivers have never broken, but the servos always go. The one time I CA'd one in I really regretted it, difficult to get out.

For the battery I just tied on a rubber band (hit the knot with a little CA), last photo, low tech but it works fine. Then once the plane is wound and ready to go, you just plug in the battery and you're good to go. In my experience you can get at least 20 min on time with these little 30 mAh batteries, which is about 3 flights, then you should change the battery just to be safe.

strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 01:06:25 PM »

Enjoying seeing this come together.  Will you be doing on-board video?  (Asking hopefully!)  Is this a coupe class?
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 01:26:06 PM »

Yes, I'm making a video as well (but it's not on-board if you mean a camera will be on the plane), but I'll hold that until I get a chance to fly it. It's taking longer to take the pictures and make the video that it did to put the plane together! It's much smaller than a Coupe, P1B-1 is apparently a class flown in China as far as I know?
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »

For the fin/rudder, I sliced it almost in half (I like a large rudder, I lost a plane years back because the rudder was too small to turn it in windy conditions), then used .2 mm mylar as a hinge, you can also just simply scotch tape it, but I have tons of the mylar. I made a control horn out of 1/32 plywood, put it in a slit in the foam, then epoxied it and a 1/8 sq balsa reinforcer underneath it, you can see it sticking out a little.

Next photo shows that I just bent the wire and hooked it on the servo, then last photo shows it's right angled at the rear, then I tie on a thread and hit it with some CA so that the wire doesn't come off the horn.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »

OK, all done ready to go, only took a few hours even with the picayune modifications. Total weight was exactly 40 grams, and I think that's the minimum for P1B, so that worked out, they supply 6 grams to get it up to weight, and that's pretty much what the RC added. I located the wing so that the cg is at 65%, will lock it in place later.

I also made a half-tube, not the neatest job but it's nice and smooth and it works, looks don't count. I don't bring a stooge anymore and simply wind on the fence, so I need the half tube. I'm not using Piserchio hooks (my Coupe ones are too big) and am simply using some aluminum tubing to hold the rubber, then slip the pin through, an extra step but it seems doable.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 06:50:59 AM »

Interesting project Larry. Smaller than a coupe? It should rocket up.

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 01:13:26 PM »

Hi John - yes it only has a 25.5" wingspan, should be a good flyer, we'll find out, I haven't done any outdoor flying since last November! The field was closed this summer so that they can replace the astroturf. Nice part about this plane is that instead of bringing my huge box and equipment, I can just grab the plane, throw the transmitter, winder, and half tube in a bag and head out.
ironchefmpls
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 03:30:05 PM »

Cool project! I plan to build a FAC Moth with RC rudder later this fall. I will be using an HKR410x with the headers de-soldered to save some weight. Seems to work ok on the work bench.
ironchefmpls
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 09:58:25 PM »

The Moth build is going slow due to some home projects. So I copied Flyguy's RC Voyager idea. It's a bit heavier at 45 grams sans rubber. To begin with, I'm planning on flying with my test electronics. My receiver came with a heavy duty 0.1 inch right angle header that put the weight of that component at 3.00 grams. That propagates to even more weight due to the connectors needed. Just the wiring I used is 5.00 grams by itself. I eventually plan to figure out what these connectors are (Molex pico clasp???) and redo the wiring. I think removing the header and soldering 30 gauge directly to the board will be substantially better. The prop is heavy and way over-engineered but it is the coolest thing about this plane.

I glued the tail section on to the motor tube because it was a bit too loose. I used a bit of packing tape underneath the stabilizer to prevent the mounting points from damaging the foam. I also used 1/64th ply for the control horn, which should work ok.

Cheers,

Jeremy
ironchefmpls
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 09:59:51 PM »

Anybody know what these connectors are?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 05:52:39 AM »

Have a look here https://micronwings.com/Products/SectionConnectors/index.shtml

John
ironchefmpls
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »

Thanks! There are a bunch of nice-sized components on that site. I see a 28 mA-hr battery that could save a gram.
ironchefmpls
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 01:29:27 AM »

I'm close to done with this plane. I de-soldered the 90 degree header and ditched the test electronics. What was 8.00 grams is now 2.27 grams and more tidy. The plane minus rubber is 40.62 grams, with a battery that is probably overkill. I have some carbon fiber and teflon tubing for a fancy pushrod setup, but the music wire is only a gram, so I'm not going to bother. All that's left to finish is the rubber. I'm going to try a single loop of 3/16', and a double loop of my OG vintage 1/8" Tan II from 1997. The Tan II is actually still fine, without storing it in a freezer or anything other than the box it came in.

The plane flew beautifully, even with my crazy test electronics. With the 6 year old on the remote, the turns were pretty drastic. I went back and put the pushrod on the most inboard hole in the servo to tone things down. It looks like it wants to pitch down pretty hard in a turn, so I'll have to solve that riddle. I'm looking forward to really letting it rip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: