Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 05:10:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comet 54" span Aeronca  (Read 955 times)
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Kudos: 126

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2019, 02:24:35 AM »

I'm building the large Comet Aeronca Chief, and I wish to complete it exactly like the colour scheme on the box lid. Does anybody have a nice crisp, clear image of the box top illustration without pixelation? I have found lots of images online, but none are of a particularly high resolution - thanks!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Comet 54" span Aeronca

Richard Crossley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 07:34:23 AM »

Can't help with that, Richard .... but if you ever build the Comet Stinson SR 7, I can ...  Roll Eyes
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 11:23:24 AM »

Can't help with that, Richard .... but if you ever build the Comet Stinson SR 7, I can ...  Roll Eyes

Thanks Russ!

Richard Crossley
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 11:49:43 AM »

Richard

Get hold of Doug Hunt and Mike Stuart, as I believe they are both building the same model/kit and may be able to help you.

John M
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »

I think Mike S is building the Taylorcraft.

Dan.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 04:33:19 PM »

Big for indoors - Stalham maybe a bit challenging?
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 05:20:11 PM »

Richard,
            I have this kit and the box colour is very crisp. I can send a photo if you give me an email address.
Ricky
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 02:08:05 PM »

Richard,
            I have this kit and the box colour is very crisp. I can send a photo if you give me an email address.
Ricky

Thanks Ricky, I've messaged you.

Richard Crossley
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 09:24:56 AM »

WOW!?  Smiley High tech imagery of box art documentation? Smiley Smiley

I used to maintain and then owned operated a vintage Aeronca KCA, which many consider to be an early Chief. They are quite similar, dimensionally.  Mine was N0.19 of 59 produced in 1938. Early ones, like mine, had single ignition, no carb heat, and non-steerable tailwheel. Dual ignition and carb heat became standard about half way thru the production run. Mine was restored as per factory original, in late 70's, and now resides here: http://www.waaamuseum.org/collections/airplanes/203-Aeronca-KCA-%22Chief%22

Would very much like to see images of your project.
flyfac
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »

Charlieman--I visited WAAAM for the first time over Labor Day weekend.  What an incredible museum!  Quite literally the best collection of Golden Age Aircraft I've ever seen.  Did not realize your Aeronca was in the mix or I would have paid closer attention.

If anyone finds themselves in Hood River, OR, find time to visit.

Best,

Scot Dobberfuhl
Forest Grove, OR
charlieman
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »

I want to get up there myself, someday... When I had it , I always had in the back of my mind to someday produce KCA scale drawings. I had acquired quite a bit of original data to repair/replace nearly everything except the main gear and the unique prop. I owe it to myself to check those things out. I wonder if they'd let me get behind the ropes, for some measuring Huh Glad you had a good time.

charlieman
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 10:42:34 AM »

Something else:
I too was thinking a 54" Aeronca would just be too big for indoor. However, it dawned on me that I previously opined that Mons' Fokker VII, at 1/10 scale was neat  and lauded the general trend toward larger indoor scale models. Just now, when I was thinking of  1/10 Areonca KCA  or Chief, I sheepishly discovered the span works out at 54". Now , I have long championed the notion that span is a poor indicator of any aircraft's specific size and without thinking, fell into that same trap myself!

So,after further review. I think a 54" Aeronca could be  an IDEAL subject for indoor flying!!!!
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »

Remember Mike Kirda's indoor 54" modified (lightened) Comet Taylorcraft? Same approach could be carried out on the Aeronca. It's all in the wing loading...

Kirda's T-Craft weighed just under 100gm!

Build thread
https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=16068.msg190805#msg190805

Flying video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM_3t_7Qg5A

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 12:19:01 PM »

Here's an attractive Aeronca Chief for sale in California.  Color scheme would look good on a model...

https://visalia.craigslist.org/avo/d/lsa-airplane-1940-aeronca-chief-65/7000509499.html

Charlieman, are you familiar with this particular plane?
Re: Comet 54" span Aeronca

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »

Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0fOuZgCUgU&list=PLN29opIuaZIWkw31Jl2xNcad8mZsvMFeQ&index=31
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »

Great flight from Richard's model ... and the flights of Mike's large model too.
It's going to need another 'David' performance from you, Jon .... to shift these 'Goliaths' at the next Nats!  Cheesy
charlieman
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 02:08:48 AM »

Indoorflyer,
No, I'm not familiar with that particular Chief. We've been gone from Visalia for near 11 years, now. However,  we have just (since end of May) moved back to the general area, so who knows where that one was photographed? The 100ft wide WWII military hangar, in th ephotos is rather like the a couple found around Visalia and Tulare , but appears to be in much better condition! Possibly  Dos Palos,  CA?

The Chief, itself, is striking. However, i'm biased.  IMHO- the KCA is a bit more sophisticated and bit cleaner, aerodynamically. Missing on Chief are the neat fabric fillets at gear attach points, wing roots, etc. So, the Chief is a simpler expression, and I would think easier to model.

The similarities to KCA are also very interesting. My instrument panel similar but dominated by large circular airspeed indicator face adapted from a 1936 Plymouth automobile!   I will try to post a link to photos of my aircraft during rebuild, for comparison.

I would direct modelers to the visible washout, discernable from either wing tip or looking out from cockpit. To me it is prominent feature of the light high wing genre.
charlieman
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 01:59:59 PM »

OK, I got a bit excited when I entered  Aeronca KCA on Bing and Google searches and found several photos of my aircraft under "Images ", on each. On Bing, my aircraft appears about seven times. Two of my favorite photos appear there and were taken when I owned it. First is the shot of my aircraft taking off with the corn field directly behind. Second, is the view of the central dial of the instrument panel. Pilot (one Todd Munson) is reflected in the glass).  There are also some great shots of Chiefs and an early cowling that is a rather unique kind of a "T" section, covering the engine cylinders, but pinching radically below. There are some so/so decent shots  showing the natural forming fabric fillet, at gear attach point   , of KCA's.

Over on google Images there is even a picture of me. I'm the guy you can't see, of two guys standing in front of my KCA, at Merced Fly-in 2004. Ken, the fellow who owned it before me, has his back to camera. My shoes are clearly seen, below! There are a lot good KCA construction details there. One even shows some of the original cardboard(!!!) rib gussets typically used by Aeronca, 1938.  The ply gussets seen in photos are repairs!

I am pretty sure Aeronca KCA scale drawings are now back on my to do list!! And have settled on 1/10 scale rendering. Drawn span will be 54".
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »

How's this for a better picture? There's a limit on how big the images can be, so I cropped out everything but the picture of the airplane.
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »

Newer video after I redid the covering and made the wings removable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4TIfufcCA0&lc=z23bct2wxvmjsdtpt04t1aokgtynzvufjhii1k4tdakvbk0h00410

It really does fly majestically. Better than I had ever thought it would.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »

charlieman,

KCA with 54" span would be 1:8 scale, not 1:10.

Mark
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 05:36:05 PM »

Newer video after I redid the covering and made the wings removable.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Thanks for that link Mike!  I really like your T-Craft.

charlieman
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 11:28:43 PM »

Blast you Braunlich!!! You are right of course. A 10th scale version of 36' wing span works out to 43.2 ".  With my bone headed math, I should be a politician? Thanks for keeping me honest. Grin
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 12:00:19 AM »

That Taylorcraft flight is amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: