Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2019, 07:38:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phantom #62  (Read 685 times)
bgrove
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2019, 01:42:46 PM »

Well, this build should keep me busy for awhile   Smiley

I’ve decided to build the Phantom #62.  It is a highly modified Mong racing biplane.  I’ve collected an assortment of photos and have started to create my plans.  I’ll make several copies today at work of what I have so far and then continue to draw and evolve them over time based on new info and photo’s I find.

My model will have a top wing span of ~16.75 inches and the length will be ~16 inches.

Brad
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Phantom #62
Phantom #62
Phantom #62
Phantom #62
Phantom #62
Phantom #62
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 07:32:13 PM »

Looks challenging but fun. I'm guessing you will need a significant amount of washout and a thin airfoil at the tips. What sort of construction are you using on the fuselage? I'd be tempted to carve, sand, and hollow out Highload 60/Plazamate. That would make you a heritic within the FAC, though.
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »

Very interesting choice Brad.  Looking forward to your build.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 04:07:27 PM »

I got some work done on my wings.  I'm not quite sure what I'm doing yet, I'm just building one step at time.  I have received a set of plans from another builder, so I might switch over to building from those.  They are quite nice.

Also, while looking for some old tax records I discovered I had this awesome book of 3-view drawings of air racers!!  I must have gotten this years ago before I started to scratch build and set it aside.  It will be a great resource.
Re: Phantom #62
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »

I made a bit of progress over the weekend.

I built a pair of wings per my drawings.  I think I will add a "turbulator" SP? to the upper leading edge of the top wing to help round it out.

I'm planning on building a second set of wings per plans that were sent to me from another builder in Argentina  Smiley Then decide which I'll use.  I have an employee who has a laser cutter at home and he offered to try to cut the ribs and fuselage former's for me per the plans (I got the .dxf cut files as well  Smiley )
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 01:22:27 PM »

I did this to both lower wings.  Turned out well.
Marco
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 04:39:38 PM »

Brad,
what a nice subject !

Marco
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 03:02:16 PM »

Molte grazie Marco!!

I built the horizontal stabilizer last night.   
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 09:50:07 PM »

Brad - I'm still trying to work out if it will be easier than the conceptual model of your last build - you certainly like a challenge :)Another interesting build - good luck with it.

John
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »

Thanks John.  Since I received a set of plans, I think this build will be easier, but still a tough subject to pull off.

Last night I cut and built the rudder, which reminds me a lot of the Gee Bee R1 rudder - very thick.  I did this to keep busy until my laser cut parts arrive.

And... drum roll please.... my guy at work brought in the laser cut parts this morning  Smiley  Wow.  So cool. So perfect.  He cut two sets of ribs for me as he said some would drop down out of the sheet once cut and would be sucked away by his exhaust unit.  He said it took about two hours with setup, testing and then cutting.

I will build a second set of wings with the new parts - the ribs are beautiful.  My only concern is that they are soooo light and fragile that I fear the wing will warp easily when shrinking the tissue.  Once built I will determine if any additional bracing is required.

Brad
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »

Quick question for everyone.

I will be covering the Phantom with "white" esaki tissue (my current plan).  This tissue is almost more transparent than white. 

What are the various techniques/ideas for cleaning up or covering the dark burnt edges that result from laser cutting?  If covered as is, the Phantom will look like a Zebra with dark stripes showing through the tissue.  I'm currently using a light file and lightly sanding the edges clean.  This gets me about 90% there.  I've "chalked" tissue in the past, but it's a pain.  Can I chalk the wood edges?  Use something like white out or white paint on the edges?  Or dare I think about my own color design for the Phantom?

I'd appreciate hearing what has worked and not worked for everyone.

Brad
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »

The second, top, laser cut wing is coming together.  It is much more difficult than I expected.  I thought having the pre-cut parts would make it easier, but it is so light and fragile that progress is slow.

The trailing edge of the ribs are really thin - not a full 1/16th to matching the TE stock.  I'm trying a slight angled groove in the TE and matching angle on the end of rib.  I'll probably have to use a small dab of cement to help hold it in addition to the thin CA. 

Once I take the wing off the board I'll have good sense of the total strength and rigidity. 
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 03:03:33 PM »

Hi Brad,

Further to your question about covering with white Esaki, have you tried doing a test piece of chalked tissue?  I've used both General's charcoal and Prismacolor pastel with reasonable success, but haven't tried chalked white Esaki over slightly burnt balsa.  Very nice work by the bye.

Don
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »

Thanks Don:  I've chalked a plane before and didn't enjoy the process Sad  I'm not sure if it was Esaki or not.  It did help make it more 'white'.

Here are my two top wing options.

Laser cut wing weighs 5 grams, but I still need to shave down and shape the LE which might make my scale read 4 grams.  It is not as stiff as my cracked rib wing.

My cracked rib wing weighs 4 grams, but I need to cut in the rear circular cut out and add a turbulator to the front top.  It is stiffer overall than the laser cut wing and has a basswood single main spar.

I think the ending weight will be about the same for each.  I do need to find a scale that reads 10ths of grams (at least).  My scale is only grams.

I also need to add to both wings the mounting point for the outer wing strut and match that with points on the bottom wing.

My plan now is to cover both wings and work them in parallel.  I'm hoping that somewhere during the build the winner will reveal itself.

I'm going to proceed to building the fuselage (without building the laser cut lower wing) and I will definitely be using the laser cut parts  Smiley 
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »

I jumped into building the fuselage this weekend.  I've decided to add 1/16th reinforcements to the inside edges of the formers after crushing the rear fuselage  Sad

Now I'm working on the stringers.  It's a slow progress and sort of 'by feel' with all the curves.  I even broke out a thin Dremel grinding disk to help cut the groves - the formers are really fragile with the narrow, cross grain.
skycafe
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 10:41:18 PM »

Egads!  Fascinating  aircraft.

Best of luck with the model!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 11:38:22 PM »

Very, very cool work Brad!  Should the stringers be something like 3/32 x 1/16 to help strengthen the formers (although more difficult to bend in the 3/32 direction).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: