Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 10:34:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OMFC Scalefest  (Read 431 times)
Laurence Marks
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »

This posting is to update people on tomorrow’s event on Port Meadow.   The weather forecast is for thunderstorms in the morning and rain all day.  Essentially the only way the event will happen is if the weather forecast is wrong.   The threat of lightning has to be taken seriously and plans for when it is threatened form part of the contract with Oxford City Council.

So the plan Charlie and I have come up with is to be at the Meadow at 12.00 and review the weather situation then.  If the weather forecast is right and we’ve had heavy rain, a thunderstorm, and the rain persists we’ll abandon the event.  If the forecast is wrong and it’s flyable we’ll run a truncated event for anyone who is prepared to travel on that basis.

If anyone can think of somebody or somewhere this message should be forwarded to please do so

Laurence
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »

Thanks for update Laurence.

XC weather has a dry afternoon forecast, hopefully that one will be right.

I'll aim to get there for 12pm

Chris
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 11:26:39 AM »

BBC (Meteo?) forecast for Brize Norton* shows high probability (>50%) of rain until gone 4 tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2654659/day1

Windspeeds indicated are (expected) averages.  Last BBC forecast I saw was predicting inland gusts 35-40 mph tomorrow, but unhelpfully did not indicate when the wind might be expected to moderate, if at all.

*RAF Brize Norton, 13 miles due west centre of Port Meadow, but the Oxford forecast, https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640729/day1, doesn't seem very different.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »

Many thanks for this update, Laurence. Thunder storms and open spaces are not a good combination so I'm afraid I'll have to give this one a miss as I can't risk driving 3.5 hours on the off chance the forecast is wrong. Really hope it is though, and that some flying is possible.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 04:11:54 AM »

I'm really disappointed for you guys ... looking out of my window and there doesn't even appear to be a fighting chance of flying.
Personally, I have made it to far fewer meetings than normal and flown even less than that.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 04:23:18 AM »

Yes a shame - even in one of the driest Counties in the Country we have substantial rain and some unfriendly gusts that dictate “no flying”.  However there is a small glimmer of brightness - my wife is “working”  today - as  volunteer at a National Trust property so I should be left largely to my own devices.  Smiley
Laurence Marks
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »

At 12.00 it was raining and gusty so that was it...  no event.  (For about 5 minutes it did look OK).

Hopefully we’ll get better weather next year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: