Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2019, 07:30:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 30" Dumas Beaver kit #306 lightened to fly  (Read 274 times)
stovebolt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »

First off I'd like to thank Dan Snow for his time on this model, he did a great job. Hope he doesn't mind me using a couple pics of his for comparisons. And the fact he weighed the model and 14 gr. nose weight.
 That fact took me to my first build, Guillows Hurricane, also to heavy in the tail.
I built the back as light as I could and didn't use the plastic nose. Did use the stock motor length. And the 4 gr. 1/8th tan supplied motor did well at 1000 turns.
 This was all a shot in the dark and a great surprise to me.
pic #1 is the two builds wing loading, the wing area was taken off my plans and could be + -
#2 Dans build pic and wood removed
#3, #4, #5 nose framed built and solid
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
30" Dumas Beaver kit #306 lightened to fly
stovebolt
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 02:05:07 PM »

Here is the glide and low power test, which the last flight was an eye opener.
I stuck my thumb through the side, so I added some stiffeners at the hand hold.
 I'm also tired of patching/rebuilding wings thus the rubber bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8FOK3qjZg
Re: 30" Dumas Beaver kit #306 lightened to fly
stovebolt
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 02:15:46 PM »

Here's the first flight after finishing,at the big field which is only about 150X80 yards.
So I trim to fly left/left. And use a window to see the rear peg.
I wouldn't use silver paint again, it magnifies mistakes. And a do over would be the port holes, signature of a Beaver, I thought I'd save some weight. Turns out they should have been installed.
The breeze takes it down almost to the trees. If flies fast down wind;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiIBJF__KHI
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »

Hi Stovebolt.   The Beaver is my favorite bushplane, (next to the Norseman).  Thanks for the big Jumbo 30" Beaver flying lesson.  Great flights. Shocked  Thanks for showing how to do the glide tests too.  You apparently have done this before -  30 second flights - have you competed before?
     What does left left mean?
     What does the kit supplied plastic nose look like?
     What was the all up weight before adding ballast, and where did you put the ballast (if you did), and how much weight was the ballast?
   That little hill looks handy for test glides, just like I have read about.   The county where I live is flat as a board though.   Just a little toboggan hill ...
     I found that I always infill plank, or sheet, the full nose - especially for absorbing crashes in short grass.  I flew the 30" Rearwin Speedster (Dumas kit), and crashed it and rebuilt it over and over, and ended up with an infilled, balsa planked nose at the end anyways.
     Are you trying to scare that jet??

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
stovebolt
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »

Lastwoodsman
 First off that is the first and only 30 second flight, my other planes struggle to make 1/2 that.
I was to fly it again a couple weeks, the big field is closed so the kids can play european "football". What a waste.
 I trim to fly left and glide left like the indoor guys. It's supposed to fly tighter circles for a small area, and looks to me if it flies left and glides right, which I've seen vid., that transition is a great place to loose lift. Now the test glides weren't turning left, so after if finished paint and marking, I added scotch tape at the rudder as a trim tab.
 Dan Snows build thread pg. 4 #75 has a picture of the nose. Looks good, it's two piece  and fussy to fit, Had one break on a Hurricane. https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?board=68.0

No ballast, tried some weight front and back at glide test, was better w/o. It did a bit of roller coaster on the long flight, but that may have been the breeze.
One more thing, floats are viable for the 30" Beaver sold separately.
 That jet just came by for sound effects;)
Pat

Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 11:16:50 PM »

Nice flight Pat!  And unlike Lastwoodman, Beavers are my fav all time bush plane, (no offence Richard  Grin Grin).  Have been a passenger in a Beaver for many hours flying around the NWT in Canada.  Second fav would be a Monocoupe, but never been for a ride in one.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 08:27:04 AM »

Looking good Pat, and thanks for the kind words.
I must humbly admit that except for a few test glides my Beaver has been a hanger Queen. Life has made sure that while I can sneak in a build here and there, finding the time, energy and will to go out for a flying session has been nigh impossible. The only ones I have actually flown are my little Boston Porter and my Phantom Flash. Maybe soon I can add flighht reports for my Beaver, sure hope so.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
stovebolt
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 01:20:59 PM »

Don I was around Beavers in the army, they still fly them out of lake Union Seattle.
 I have a new favorite bush plane... 1931 Fairchild 71. Pacific Internal Airways flew them around the Aleutians.
Dan I know how that goes, didn't get out to fly this summer, and the field is closed for soccer.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 06:57:13 PM »

Hi Stovebolt.   I was fortunate to have a bunch of rides in a Beaver floatplane when I guided for fishing in the early 1980s, out  of a little town way up in North Western Ontario, Canada, called Sioux Lookout.   Well, the Beaver has to be my favourite, since I was in actually in them.   Here are some pics of the wild country wilderness of Canada's Boreal Forest, and a taste of what it is like, to go on a fly-in fishing trip in God's country.    The fly-in trips go to further outpost camps North of Lac Seul.

1   BEAVER OGOKI LAKE
2   BEAVER FLOATPLANE FLY-IN FISHING
3   OUTPOST CAMP FLY OVER
4   GOOD SPOT FOR SHORE LUNCH
5   SHORE LUNCH
6   SIOUX LOOKOUT AND LAC SEUL (French for Lake Seul)

I worked for Moosehorn Lodge and Anderson's Lodge -  it is amazing that it is all on the inernet today.

http://andersonslodge.com/fishing-opportunities/

https://visitsunsetcountry.com/moosehorn-lodge

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: