Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 09, 2020, 06:58:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Low Cost Open Source Control Line Timer  (Read 368 times)
CircuitFlyer
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »

If you may have been interested in getting your feet wet in electric power but not sure of a source of a good basic timer.  Here is a "do-it-yourself" option called the Touch_and_Go.  I'm sharing my code for the timer so that you can easily program your own.  The hardware is a very small and lightweight Adafruit Trinket M0.  It costs $8.95US and is distributed by electronics vendors all over the world so it's very accessible. 

It really is easy to build.  There are 4 pins and one wire that need to be soldered for assembly.  The board is programmed by connecting via a USB cable and dragging and dropping the downloaded files.  It's dead simple and works like a charm.  If you want to change the code, that's easy too.

I put together a full set of instructions as a PDF file that can be found near the bottom of my web page.  The code can be downloaded from the button at the top of the page.  All the details are found here: https://circuitflyer.com

I hope some people give it a try.  Feel free to let me know what you think.

Paul
megabyte
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 06:14:57 AM »

Hey circuitflyer this looks really cool!

The commercial offerings feel a little outdated and pricey when you add the programming boxes.

I was planning on forking the blheli ESC firmware and hard coding the governor and delays but still wouldn’t have the capacitive touch programming and status led that your trinket based solution offers so I think I’ll give this a try instead.

Thanks for putting in the hard work, keep  it up!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 05:42:54 AM »

Thanks Circuit Flyer - that is very generous of you!

John
_shadow_
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:59:50 AM »

Thank you!

Regards
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 04:04:04 AM »

Looks interesting. I started immediately to think about a adding another servo signal, that way you could control motor/ESC and a actuator servo for a free flight electric model. I just wonder if there is a spare I/O pin for this? The extra connector could be placed next to the current (using 2-row header pin and connecting the GND and V+ pins parallel, and then jumping the servo signal with a jump wire from a free pin).
CircuitFlyer
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »

Sorry for my tardy reply.  Yes, there are (4) more GPIO pins available to use for what ever you want.  (GPIO - general purpose input output). The code is written in Circuitpython and is easy to read and learn.  Your idea sounds very doable and not that hard to implement.  I say go for it and let us know how you make out.  Just remember the output pins are 3.3V not 5V.  Most servos will work fine with a 3.3V PWM input signal.

Paul
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 07:47:02 PM »

If you use more than the one pin it may be worth while to make a little breakout board (or cable) that solders onto the Trinket and breaks things out to several RC-style connectors.

It depends on your ambition and how weight-conscious you want to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: