Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 06:22:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lockheed Orion  (Read 502 times)
Brinkie
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »

With the upcomming IFI (in about 2 weeks) I thought 2 months ago that it would be nice if I could come up with someting new.

For about 2 years ago I received about 15 Co2 Engines from the late Ton Schippers. (Ton passed away this summer, therefore also a nice tribute to have something flying with his engines)

I allready launches the idea last year at the IFI to George Kandilakis, who thought it would be a bold challange to make that model powered by C02, ( In about 2 weeks we will know if he is wright  Smiley )
At that time I allready finished the wood construction for 80%, but was still not sure about the power plant I should use.

To be honest I stole some great construction details and building techniques from George and Richard Crossley.

The detachable engine is an idea from George, a genius idea I have to say,
The detachable undercarriage I took from the Regianne kit I had from Richard. I was enthousiastic with that construction detail at the time. I do hope that this model will have some better flying characteristics then the Regianne which I never got to fly more the 5 seconds.

The undercarriage frame is made from carbon fiber, I made a CNC milled mold in foam, filled the mold with carbon and epoxy ressin and whne hardened I "edged" the foam away with thinners.
The wheels are also CNC milled, with a 0.4mm ply wood disc in the middle to make it rigig for possible hard landings.
all this came out of my own great mass I think.. Grin

Total weight is 63.6 grams, and if my calculations are correct it will result in a total wing load of 8,41grams/dm^2

But I would like to put in some more details, and maybe  I have to put some weight on the tail, I think it is to nose heavy. I could remove the dummy engine. ( Which is a made with a building technique I got from Dave Banks, I made a solid heavy dummy, made from that a mold in silicone, and then with PU resin the final thin layered Dummy.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Lockheed Orion
Lockheed Orion
Lockheed Orion
Lockheed Orion
Brinkie
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »

and the details from the engine
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Lockheed Orion
Re: Lockheed Orion
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 07:43:46 PM »

A very nice model Brinkie.

I had considered the urethane foam in silicon rubber mould for engines etc. but was not prepared to put in the effort and expense. It is very nice to see it works really well so I will try it out with some silicon rubber moulds that I have. I will try pressure can stuff first. Have had two part stuff in the work shop but it got too old so I mixed it all up in a bucket and got a very large mushroom.

Paul
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 09:25:36 PM »

What a beautiful model. I shall certainly look forward to seeing it at Nijmegen. It’ll be very interesting to see how its performance compares with Tim’s similar (but electric) Lockheed Altair two years ago. Brave choices both!
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 05:01:41 AM »

In about 2 weeks we will know if he is wright  Smiley )

Hi Gerard,

I definetely hope I am wrong...

scale free flight & micro RC
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 07:16:55 AM »

A beautiful model, Gerard ... using some great techniques Smiley

I have the Paul Matt drawings of the aircraft and have considered it for a peanut. Look forward to seeing how your model performs.

I remember seeing your Reggiane ... shame that you didn't get longer flights. I got some great flights from mine ... but it was hard to get a ROG. Getting sufficient flying speed seemed to be the issue.
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 07:20:14 AM »

Somehow my message got cropped...

I had added:

What a great looking model. It certainly is light enough.

With only a few days left, yet another nice new model to see in Nijmegen...

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »

Very nice Brinkie! Is that about a 24" wingspan?

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 01:54:43 PM »

That looks very good Gerard. I too hope George is wrong! Wink

Looking forward to seeing it soon.
Tim
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 02:28:34 PM »

Paul, molding in silicone need not be too expensive.  I've been seeing people demonstrating silicone molding on Youtube using silicone caulk for bathroom tub and tile.  The down side is it's intense odor of acetic acid/vinegar. The videos typically show one part molding but since the price isn't too high, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out two-part molding.
ChrisH
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 03:18:25 PM »

Wow!   An impressive model - good luck at Nijmegen.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 03:41:50 PM »

I like the detachable engine scheme - so much nicer than having the filler dangling.

A really good enhancement that you could still do easily is a twist lock - reinforce the face with 0.4mm ply - 2 holes for the screw heads to go right through and slots following an arc of maybe 15 degrees or so.  Set it up so that it locks against the torque and not with it!!  adjust the screws to keep it firm.

Maybe you have already done this but I couldn't see it in the photos
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »

Paul, molding in silicone need not be too expensive.  I've been seeing people demonstrating silicone molding on Youtube using silicone caulk for bathroom tub and tile.  The down side is it's intense odor of acetic acid/vinegar. The videos typically show one part molding but since the price isn't too high, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out two-part molding.

I have done a lot of silicon mould making and urethane casting so much so that I became sensitised to the urethane. Yesterday I visited a local building and hardware supplier to read the fine print on various urethane foam fillers and glues to see if anything had changed. No. All are completely unsuitable for my current state of health, ie. urethane sensitivity and asthma.

I have not tried making moulds out of silicon caulk but I have tried liquid silicon gasket sealer as used in the auto industry. That worked very well on a raw steel shape (screw thread) but when I tried it on a painted surface it would not release. The sacrificial victim was a model of Luke Skywalker that I found in a toy shop. It was about the right size for a pilot figure. Poor fellow, he now looks like that slug creature, Jabba or what ever its name was.

I am planning on trying that type of silicon sealer again after I have found some thing suitable for the ‘casting’. A paper mache (spelling?) made from facial tissue and and acrylic resin works. Japanese paper clay also works but I would also like to find something that will be a bit stiffer.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 05:21:34 PM by RolandD6 » Logged
Brinkie
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 05:23:54 PM »

Paul, molding in silicone need not be too expensive.  I've been seeing people demonstrating silicone molding on Youtube using silicone caulk for bathroom tub and tile.  The down side is it's intense odor of acetic acid/vinegar. The videos typically show one part molding but since the price isn't too high, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out two-part molding.

For the Silicone I used a 2 components silicone  KDSV-25 from R&G in  Germany, it has a shore of 25 and therefore very flexible, and for pliots etc. you only need a very thin film. A Jar 500gr is about 18 euro's and although they mention a shell life of about a year, when kept in the dark it is still the same quality after 3 years. It is only important to use the wright mixture.
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »

I was wrong, so wrong...

And I am very glad for that!

Brinkie
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 06:08:17 PM »

Don't be to hard on your self George Cheesy , you had a big hand in proving your own mistake Wink

Thanks to you , Lars and Enrique it flew in the End, I don't think I could have managed that by myself.

And also thanks to all of you for another great indoor event in Nijmegen Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: