Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2020, 08:39:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking for Sterling Lockheed P-38 Lightning kit S-17  (Read 202 times)
SecretSquirrel
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2019, 03:09:10 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for parts scans or tracings and instruction scans for the Sterling P-38 control line kit. This is the larger profile kit for .09 to .15 engines. I've recently redrawn the parts for the S-14 kit which uses .049 engines and uploaded them to the plans section and would like to do the same for the S-17.
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »

I think parts from the S14 are the same for S17 only scaled up with increased
balsa sizes. Only real difference is nacelle profile length as the .09's are
side mounted. I think the plans are the same but not 100% sure. Hope
that helps.

Skyraider
SecretSquirrel
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 04:05:43 PM »

I think they're about 90% the same but the booms are definitely different and there are some unique parts on them. I saw one built up and there were some differences in the wing as well.
skyraider
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 08:05:37 PM »

Secret,
     I went over to RCUniverse and came across the plan for the P38. However its not full size. But you
can see it is almost identical to the S14. As I said, the only difference is the nacelles and if you look closely,
the only change in the wing construction is the sheeting of the center section. everything else is the same.

Skyraider
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Looking for Sterling Lockheed P-38 Lightning kit S-17
SecretSquirrel
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »

Are all the balsa pieces the same thickness on both versions? It's a small photo and hard to read but what does part FL look like? It's not on the smaller version. There are some differences, that's why I'm looking for info, so I can make an accurate reproduction.
skyraider
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 11:23:32 PM »

The photo was the best they had. I do wish it was larger myself. I have reproduced the S14 myself
along with actual wing layouts. Ribs were cut from 1/16, stab / elevator were from firm 3/32 and so on.
If scaling up to the S17, increase by next size 1/16 to 3/32 and so on. I don't know what FL is unless its
for the lower fuselage fill piece. If you do happen to run across the plan, please post here to the gallery or
IM me as I would love a copy myself and will do the same likewise. Best of luck on your quest.

Skyraider
SecretSquirrel
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 12:13:33 AM »

I appreciate the help. I figured the S17 was mostly a 150% S14 with a few mods. I knew there was additional sheeting on the wing but couldn't remember exactly. I was able to get it from the photo you posted. I've extrapolated the boom modifications and if I can get the details on another part or two I may have it pretty close. If I can get a good scan of the instructions I'll absolutely post it along with the parts patterns.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Looking for Sterling Lockheed P-38 Lightning kit S-17
skyraider
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 10:59:07 AM »

Cool!  Check out https://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php. Maybe someone
there may have a copy of the plan.

Skyraider
Pages: [1]   Go Up