Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 05:59:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tillamook Air Museum indoor free flight sessions  (Read 354 times)
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2019, 04:46:59 PM »

I'm beginning to host regular indoor free flight sessions inside the Tillamook Air Museum in Tillamook, OR.  The building is about 155 feet tall, but bird nets hung below the ceiling limit the usable height to about 110 feet.  I'm asking for $5 entry to cover my costs for sanctions and helium.  You will need to bring your own table and chair, and I'm also asking that people pay the museum entry to help support them.  It's only $10 per day, or $30 for an annual pass.  All AMA indoor rubber FF events are welcome (no gliders or electric powered models of any kind please).  We fly during museum hours and those vary depending on the time of year.  Currently it's 10am-4pm, but check the website to verify (http://www.tillamookair.com).  

The next 2 events are listed below, and I hope to have these weekend events approximately 6-8 times a year.  I'll update this post when I have more dates available.  Please note that the building is unheated, so be prepared for very cold conditions during the winter.

January 11-12 2020
February 15-16 2020

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Tillamook Air Museum indoor free flight sessions
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 05:03:12 PM by jakepF1D » Logged
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »

Tilamook?  January?  "Very cold"?  I live in Oregon.  My grandmother had a cabin in Cannon Beach when I was growing up.  And I've lived in Massachusetts and spent Christmases in Maine.

January on the Oregon coast is like "eh, better roll my sleeves down" to a Down Easter.

(Trash talk aside -- I wish I could make it, that would be a spectacular spot.  How do you keep the rubber from shriveling up and dying at those "I'm too manly to pay attention" temperatures?)
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »

This past weekend it was 49-52 inside the hangar.  While that's certainly not freezing cold, it becomes challenging when you're not moving much for hours at a time.  I expect January temperatures inside the hangar to be in the mid 40s which definitely requires layers of warm clothing to endure for extended periods.  I just want to make sure people are prepared for it.

The rubber does act a bit different at these temperatures, but it's all part of the fun.
flyfac
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:20:06 AM »

Great news!  Hoping to join you in January.

Best,

Scot Dobberfuhl
Forest Grove, OR
W Hicks
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »

Will you have any other events past February ? I live in Central Point Oregon and would like to attend, not sure what the weather will bring our way during those months.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »

The next event will likely be June 20-21, but I haven't finalized details with the museum or requested a sanction.  Long term my plan is to have 2-3 events each summer, and possibly 1 or 2 events during fall or early winter.  The primary reason I'm having these next 2 events so deep into winter is for myself and other F1D team members to prepare for the world champs in March, but others are welcome to attend and fly.  Conveniently the conditions inside the hangar during the winter are fairly similar to the conditions in the salt mine that's hosting the world champs.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 12:17:46 AM »

Is that airship hangar metal or one of the wooden ones built during WWII?  We've lost the use of the one in Tustin because "the termites stopped holding hands". Roll Eyes

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 12:25:59 AM »

It's a WWII hangar that's virtually identical to Tustin. It was built around the same time using the same general plans. The roof has been replaced with metal, but it's otherwise mostly wood.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 11:35:38 AM »

The January flying session was wiped out by rain.  We discovered just how bad the roof is on the hangar.  Even after it stopped raining outside, it was raining inside for several additional hours.  If the forecast calls for rain February 15-16, we won't be flying that weekend. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: